Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Getting There!
11,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few photos that far from show just how bad the drought has been here. We've had a few weeks of rain from 1-2" per week. The huge cracks in the ground absorb most and there has been little to fill the ponds, lakes, creeks and rivers.

This is the first water that's been in this pond since June. The pond was dug in 1975 and this is the first time that it's ever gone dry.

My buddy in the water stepped into a crack right after he came out of the water. I thought that I was going to have to go free him, but after struggling a few minutes he freed himself.

We got another 2" rain and a little more made it to the pond.

There's a long way to go yet!

I didn't bush hog this year fearing a literal dust bowl. I've got a pretty good cover of grass and weeds to hold it down. Texas (this area at least) had less rainfall than it did during the dust bowl days.

Here's to a better next year! :thumb:

·
Never Give up
7,579 Posts
If that was me I would be putting in underground tanks now and filling them up now. So you would have plenty of water for your family and animals and gardens.

·
Getting There!
11,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If that was me I would be putting in underground tanks now and filling them up now. So you would have plenty of water for your family and animals and gardens.
My thoughts are more along the lines of gathering and cleaning as I go.

I don't have the funds for a large storage tank and I personally don't like plastic for storage.

I'll be finishing a large gravity 4" PVC filtering system after the freezes stop.

First water will be pumped up 12 feet into a holding tank to sit for a day to allow solids to sink. Then it will go into the PVC.

A 10' piece of 4" PVC full of large river rock drops and an 8' piece of 2" PVC full of the same comes up from an elbow. Then an 8' piece of 4" PVC with smaller rock goes down and a 6' piece of 2" PVC comes back up. Then a 6' piece of 4" PVC with finer creek gravel goes down with a 4' piece of 2" PVC filled with the same goes back up.

At the end will be another holding tank for aeration.

The pond needs to fill up! It's drizzling right now. That's not going to cut it, but at least the vegetation is getting a dose. I don't see how trees can withstand another year this hot and this dry.

The creek behind the pond is a mess. We never had enough rain since last winter to move last years leaves and limbs. This years leaves and debris are stacking up on last years right now. I foresee lots of log jams if and when we do get enough rain to start washing the debris downstream, but I'll dance in the rain when it happens!

The creek has been dry since last winter, which is something else I've never seen in all my years here.

I hope that I can try raising tilipia in a pool this next spring, too.

·
A Hoosier not a Hillbilly
3,016 Posts
Looks like you guys are finally starting to some precip but I know your so far behind that it will take years to catch up. We've had plenty of moisture here in Indiana and this is where I'm going to stay. The Southwest is going to run out of drinking water and I just know there is going to be a major water war between the midwest and southwest. Way too many people moving down there.

·
Never Give up
7,579 Posts
When I lived down in Arizona we had a few 3000 gallon plastic tanks and it was nice when water mains broke or something that stopped flow of water. Air,Water, Protection (from elements or other) and food if you dont have them your screwed.

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
I hear you on this drought. Saw a lot of well established 20 plus year old trees die and not make it through the summer. While its been pretty wet for the most part for a few weeks, its hardly made a difference in the Lakes level and as dried out as the ground is, probably wont unless we have a very wet winter and spring. The garden despite lots of watering really was pathetic this year too. Hopefully next year is much better, not sure we can handle another year like this past one.

·
Big Boss Daddy
197 Posts
My wife and I spent the 1st of March through the end of September just west of Austin. We watched Lake Travis recede to the point that I couldn't get out of there fast enough. Funny how you don't really appreciate rain until you go 7 months without it...........

·
Getting There!
11,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, rains are essential!

And water wars have but yet to get started. :(

This was a really sucky year, hands down.

·
I'm tryin'
289 Posts
Yeah, what little rain we've gotten down here northeast of Houston has helped, but a long way to go yet. Hopefully, we're getting into a wetter weather pattern. And, here in the middle of December, my yard is the greenest it's been in months. I actually had to mow last weekend, maybe the 3rd time since spring.

·
Nadafinga!!
2,996 Posts
Yeah, what little rain we've gotten down here northeast of Houston has helped, but a long way to go yet. Hopefully, we're getting into a wetter weather pattern. And, here in the middle of December, my yard is the greenest it's been in months. I actually had to mow last weekend, maybe the 3rd time since spring.
I llive on the Northwest side of Houston and this has been a brutal year. I finally said to hell with my back yard and just let it die. The recent rains have greened it up well, though, so I finally had to mow it last weekend. I couldn't remember the last time I did, but it was months ago.

·
Getting There!
11,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just saw last night that La Niña is still holding through winter, which means that it will be milder and dryer than normal for us south and east.

I just hope that El Niño takes over this spring!

Be thankful for whatever rains you do get.

·
Land of the free my....
2,631 Posts
Central Texas here. We are finally getting some decent rains. Our local creek is flowing again, and some of our (local) stock tanks are starting to hold water again. Still need much more rain, but very thankful for what we have received.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
My youngest daughter lives in Austin .. posted several times on facebook just how bad the heat and the drought was. I am so glad that Texas is recovering. Michigan had record rainfall for the month of July and some very bad flooding to go with it. We just had in the past few weeks several more inches of rain. I fear that we may have to dig out this winter. WOuld love to share the *bounty* with you.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Same with our lawn in SE Oklahoma.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I know of a few ranchers in southwest texas that think this drought is the best thing that has happened in over 60 years.

The brush on there ranches was thick and a few of them have teamed up with two bulldozers and a old ships anchor chain and spent the summer dragging down brush on there ranches.
http://reveg-catalog.tamu.edu/04-Mechanical.htm

This will increase the amount of land open for grazing, decrease fire danger, and improve wildlife habitat on deer leases.

With the drought the brush is so dry it snaps right off at the ground.

Once the rains come and its wet enough they will burn the brush that has been downed by chaining.

Many have also been re-digging there stock ponds and clearing out the built up mud and other buildup that have been building since the ponds were first built.

One rancher said the last time they have been able to do this was during the dust bowl back in the 1930s

·
Getting There!
11,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We got another 2" this week and I burned a large brush pile. It's been well over a year since burning anything, including a gas grill, was even thinkable. Everything has been fire tender just ready to explode with the smallest spark.

If you look at a map we're in the green line not too far away from the brown line that separates the desert west and the piney woods east. I can see this line moving eastward quickly if we have too much more of what we've had this year. :(

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Best wishes REM,
about those cracks storing the water, nice to know you have a little extra if you dig a hole for it to collect in... glad more rain is accumulating in that area, sure has been a hard year for alot of folks in so many ways. Here is hoping next year is better.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I'm at Canyon Lake, about 30 miles north of San Antonio. Of course the lake is way down, but we have had a nice bit of rain the last month. I haven't lost any trees...but the summer was hard. The deer are starting to fatten up a little from the acorns this fall, and are starting to get some grass to eat.

Best wishes to all...

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
Man I think I would have taken advantage of that pond being bone dry and rented a bob cat for a week end and dug it out a little deeper to hold more water without exposing more surface area to evaporation.

Was watching the weather guesser on the news he other day and they said that in the last 2 weeks we had reduced the rain deficiet for the year by 30% with the 4 inches of rain we have accumulated. Cant tell that by looking at the lake level though! We still need a lot more between now and April or its going to be a long summer again!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts