Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know or can you point me to a good place to find a list of spare parts I should have on have for my M1A? I searched around and every recommendation I find is from someone selling parts, so I'm not sure how necessary they are.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Best thing to do on any weapon you have and you want to maintain is to go to your Gunsmith and have him tell you what parts are most likely needed to maintain the weapon. Springs, pins, extra bolt, firing pin, op rod are things most weapons need. I have picked up bags with spare parts for my AKs at places like Cheaper than Dirt in Fort Worth Texas. there is also a place in Irving Texas called Lee's Gun Parts that carries about every kind of part available. Jeff Lee is the owner and he is a really good guy. He is open Tuesday WEdnesday adn Thursday for sure.

I would also check with SPringfield Arms for their parts list. Numrich (SPelling?) is a great source as well. I can check with my gun smith tomorrow and see what he says. One thing you really want is some good gun grease.

·
Banned
1,533 Posts
Every one should get a copy of Bostons Gun Bible , . He lists a nice spare parts list .

For the M1A .

2 extra op-rod springs Get from Freds or Wolffe gun springs
1 Bolt rebuild kit ( or get a spare bolt ) Gun broker
Trigger group springs , all. Same as #1 .

I really dont like Kenneth Royce ( Boston ) as I have met him a few times , BUT i have to the new version of the Gun Bible is a good read , a really nice place to start,

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
Couldn't tell ya about the M1A. For the semis we have we store spare action/slide springs, a trigger group/springs and not a bolt but a full bolt rebuild kit w/springs +a spare (2) extractor.

Each one has known weaknesses. The extra slide is for the .30 carbine which has been known to shear loose from the block on every make of USGI and civilian that has been made. Wouldn't matter which one I had for that part, its a needed spare.

Basically the only things we count on not needing work are the barrel,receiver, and stock. We can work wood and weld if needed.

·
Banned
1,092 Posts
I really dont like Kenneth Royce ( Boston ) as I have met him a few times , BUT i have to the new version of the Gun Bible is a good read , a really nice place to start,

Yeah Boston is of base on a number of things here and there through out the book. Some of the advice is still good though.

The only other thing that bothers me though is the arragance that he convaies through out the book.

Rifleman 336

·
Registered
6,445 Posts
check this site out.....www.fultonarmory.com I havent looked in awhile, but scroll down to M14 FAQ. They most likely will still have thier recomendations for a spare parts lists. Thier extractors are good quality IMO, but most of thier parts are on the high end.

Here is what my own little emergency spare parts kit contains:
. bolt repair kit (complete)
. Spare trigger group
. op-rod spring

you can get more extensive with your parts depending on your wallet. If I go more extensive with my list, then I tend to wanna turn the spare prts into a spare rifle. If I was an SKS guy, I most likely would have a small fleet of um.;)

Just curious here, but what model M1A are you runnin?
11B

1 - 6 of 6 Posts