·
Banned
9,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Hot Zone.
Demon in the Freezer
Crisis in the Red Zone

By Richard Preston.

The are written like Tom Clancy thrillers, yet are non-fiction accounts of emerging diseases over the last few decades. Terrifying books with blood curdling descriptions....sometimes literally of curdling blood, but also a really 'fun' and approachable introduction to the history of viruses and how and why they work and how they are fought. Very pro "get ready" books. Not for the faint of heart. Very bloody, very horrible events recounted in detail.

The Coming Plague

A long, drier, but far more in depth book on the same subjects. Less Tom Clancy and more Richard Rhodes.

A lot of people here would benefit from a little context given the current situation.

·
Off the leash
2,181 Posts
"The Eyes of Darkness" by Dean Koontz is supposed to be an eerily similar novel written in 1981 about a virus that started in the same place in China as the corona virus. I am trying to find it so I can read it.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
I would just get a virology text book.
Really not readable. My wife had a few similar books from her med school and pHD classes- they assume a whole lot of chemistry and

I asked a vet med professor in college- I wanted a better background as a result of waste and water treatment classes as well as for use of antibiotics. He recommended taking a nursing microbiology class. That professor just said read the book, it I wanted to learn bad enough- she thought it should be easy for an engineer ( everybody gets intimidated by calculus and physics)- she even gave me a sample copy of a book she though was a good or better than they one they used. As long as I started on page 1 it was easily readable. And I had zero use for the credit. It was really handy a few years back when I was working some communications issues for bioterrorism prepairdness.

Still have it on the shelf next to Merck Manual, Merck Vet, etc. Nursing Microbiology was the title. Really dumbed down and readable by a guy who only had AP Biology in high school. Like an engineering text it focused on practical uses of the science, rather than a wide survey of the field.

·
A marathon not a sprint
4,463 Posts
"The Eyes of Darkness" by Dean Koontz is supposed to be an eerily similar novel written in 1981 about a virus that started in the same place in China as the corona virus. I am trying to find it so I can read it.
When I googled the Dean Koontz book called The Eyes of Darkness is about a young person that goes missing . I am unsure if this speculation of it being about a virus from Wuhan may be fabricated ?

https://www.amazon.ca/The-Eyes-of-D...ds=koontz+dean&qid=1582353403&s=books&sr=1-18

I own two purchased on amazon in the past year :

The Flu Pandemic and You written by Canadian doctors Vincent Lam, MD and Colin Lee, MD

and Natures Virus Killers by Mark Stengler ND

·
Registered
359 Posts
The Hot Zone.
Demon in the Freezer
Crisis in the Red Zone

By Richard Preston.

The are written like Tom Clancy thrillers, yet are non-fiction accounts of emerging diseases over the last few decades. Terrifying books with blood curdling descriptions....sometimes literally of curdling blood, but also a really 'fun' and approachable introduction to the history of viruses and how and why they work and how they are fought. Very pro "get ready" books. Not for the faint of heart. Very bloody, very horrible events recounted in detail.

The Coming Plague

A long, drier, but far more in depth book on the same subjects. Less Tom Clancy and more Richard Rhodes.

A lot of people here would benefit from a little context given the current situation.
His books with give you a healthy dose of putting the fear of God and viruses in you! Very entertaining, great writer and as noted, non-fiction so you will lose sleep !

1 - 7 of 7 Posts