Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have two handguns a 30-06, 22 & 12 gauge in my aresnel with lots of ammo for each including over a year's worth of food. Do you recommend i add more weapons to my stash or is what is listed enough.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Sounds like your pretty well covered, stock up on ammo and gun cleaning supplies.
You could go out and buy some high-dollar assault type weapons, but me I'd rather spend my money on food, fuel and other supplies to keep my family safe.
If I can't do it with my 30-06 it can't be done. .......Alaskan

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
assault weapons are not for me. really don't see a need for them to be honest. some of my friends have the cool looking AR and AK's. LOL I tell them the only reason for purchasing such a rapid fire weapon is basically they can't shoot and want to spray the target in hopes of one finding its mark.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Exactly, I've got a Remington 742B , 30-06 semi auto I bought when I was in high school
back in the 60's.
Can't even tell you how much moose I've put in the freezer over the last 40 years using that rifle. With the scope I can still put a bullet in +or - 2 inches at 300 yards.
When I was in the Army I shot enough plastic guns to realize I don't need to own one.
Sounds like your good to go......Alaskan

·
Registered
272 Posts
What handgun calibers? Are they wheelguns or autoloaders? You want to make sure that you can either GET or MANUFACTURE your ammo if things turn wierd and we can't get storebought ammo. If revolvers, you can cast your own bullets prettyeasily...if autoloaders, some don't like to feed on cast bullets, so you may wanna stock up on brass and bullets as well as primers and powder. Getting into reloading isn't really that expensive and it's kinda fun.

The 30-06 is great..lots of them around and ammo is readily available and still fairly cheap considering...as is the 22 and 12 guage. What barrel length is the 12 guage barrel?

12 guage: If it's a long barrel hunting type weapon, you can get another barrel for it to make it more of a home defense type weapon and still be able to switch barrels easily to convert it back.

.22: is it a bolt gun or autoloader?

As far as it being enough.....sensibly, yes, that about covers things. Some of us think there's never "enough" but really you have all needs covered except for maybe a battle rifle type gun. It depends on what you believe your needs may be in the future and what you are going to be defending if need be. Also, you area makes a lot of defference too. What or who you will be defending yourself against...

As far as Battle type rifles go, This is or isn't the time to buy one though, depending on how you look at the current gun situation. "black" guns are very expensive right now in most places. Noone really knows what is going to happen with the cost and availability in the near future, so if you decide to get one (ak, ar, etc) You'll have to look at both sides of the coin and see where your thoughts lie on wether to purchase now or wait. Have a few magazines and enough ammo to feed them for a while. I know of some people that have 200 ar mags and the same for ak's. Personally, i have about 10 for each rifle i have.

If you are not in a situation to buy more guns, what you have covers the main needs for survival in my opinion....you may want to look into the other areas if you have the space, money and all that to get more. You don't have to be a gun collector to be squared away for survival, just make sure you have anough ammo to feed what you have and that you and yours know how to use them safely and efficiently.

Just some ideas...i'm sure there are others ere that will give you more advice. No one person can give you all the points of view you need, so it's a good thing there are forums like these where lots of folks can throw a lot of ideas in the pot.

Peace n stuff :)

·
Premium Member
2,025 Posts
If I had your guns, I'd consider myself essentially set up and done with the firearms part of prepping. I currently lack a longer range & medium-to-large game-getting rifle, but will buying a bolt action .308 in the near future.

I suppose you could argue the value of having "extra" guns and ammo, such as SKSs or other relatively cheap ones, for barter value or for arming your unprepared neighbors, but I'm not personally going down that route.

Since you're in pretty good shape regarding guns, ammo and food, what about land? Do you have a little patch where you might be able to plant a big garden or hide out for a few months? How about fuel--if you have a generator, do you have enough gas to keep the genny going during a prolonged grid-down situation? there's also always the transportation issue--will you need to be driving anywhere if TSHTF, and if so, are you in good shape for that?

Tom.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Are you good to go on ammo? If not you might want to increase your ammunition stores instead of purchasing more firearms . Sounds like your pretty well equiped in that area anyway.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
both handguns are .40 calibers, one S&W MP and a Glock 22. The 22 is a bolt action that is fed by a 10 round magazine. The shotgun is equipped with a hunting barrel and also a 18". It is a Mossberg 500.

At last count I had 573 rounds for the handguns, 400 for the 06, over 1500 for the 22 and 467 rounds for the shotgun. Today I picked up 80 more rounds for the handguns, which put me over 600, 40 more for the long gun and 75 more for the shotgun.

How much ammo would be sufficient?

·
Deo VIndice
6,108 Posts
That depends on the person and your perceived situation.

I would ideally want 1000 for my 30-06, 500-1000 for pistols, 5,000 for my 22 and 500 in a mix of #6, Buck and slugs.

Again, that would be me...your area/situation may warrant less/more. :thumb:

·
red-eye for action
58 Posts
thats an ideal firearm setup,

and pretty much the same as mine
You have the long rifle for deer or defense, and the 12 gauge for about anything ranging from hunting to self-defense, and the 22 for small game hunting.

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
Depends can you tease the opponent into wasting theirs while you either hide or conserve yours? Unless your staying in place you already have 3 ammo cans full. I have 9 and need to find more. That doesn't include mag pouch sets that are loeded and drums that are loaded, or any that is in load bearing belt sets.

Do I think I have enough? No. Not for the weapons that can use it the fastest. More than enough for the slow fire weapons. Is that making sense?

The thing is I don't intend to shoot any of my stored ammo. If a zombie horde comes over the horizon, I will if I have to but other than that, I want to keep it as is for as long as I possibly can, and avoid shooting even a single round.

Its about snares and fishhooks and ways to use them that no one else can spot.

BTW I keep around 1200 -1500 hooks of all sizes, and prespooled trot lines, and blacked out fishing and camo snaring equipment on hand in volume. Those strings of 50 hooks bring in a lot more meat in a short amount of time, and much quieter than 50 rounds of .22. What does 1000 rounds of ammo cost vs 1000 hooks and a hook file and hook stone? A hook sharpener is the reloading press of the fishing world......

·
Crazy old man
1,287 Posts
More ammo, if worst comes to worst use ammo for trading. You can never go wrong with 3 to4 yrs food supply. Just my thoughts.:D:

·
NRA Instructor-Ohio CCW
3,169 Posts
The advantage of having an AR or AK is in a situation that you have a gang coming at you or yours. A 30-06 may kill 4 or 5, but leave another 5 coming at you. Reloading a hunting rifle is not very fast, especially under stress.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I'd say that you have the main bases covered. Keep in mind that more guns don't help unless you have the people to use them. It seems to me that a good goal would be one sidearm and one long arm for each adult plus a good .22 for the group. Although to a large degree it depends on your area, requirements, group members, etc, etc. Everybody seems to have different needs.

·
To secure peace is to...
4,194 Posts
I would say find a good balance between buying ammo and food/other supplies. I buy ammo once a month, and buy extra food at every grocery outing.

About the guns though, you sound like you have a good arsenal. More guns, just means more ammo to have to buy (if you buy different calibers). I think you've got a well-rounded arsenal.

·
Registered
816 Posts
both handguns are .40 calibers, one S&W MP and a Glock 22. The 22 is a bolt action that is fed by a 10 round magazine. The shotgun is equipped with a hunting barrel and also a 18". It is a Mossberg 500.

At last count I had 573 rounds for the handguns, 400 for the 06, over 1500 for the 22 and 467 rounds for the shotgun. Today I picked up 80 more rounds for the handguns, which put me over 600, 40 more for the long gun and 75 more for the shotgun.

I have 1000 of 7.62,
1000 of .22,
200 of 12ga,
500 of .40,
300 of.45 and
100 .32

and I feel completely unprepared. Not sure what the consensus is on how much is enough, but I know that to feel comfortable with what I have I want AT LEAST 1k of everything, and 5K of .22

·
To secure peace is to...
4,194 Posts
I have 1000 of 7.62,
1000 of .22,
200 of 12ga,
500 of .40,
300 of.45 and
100 .32

and I feel completely unprepared. Not sure what the consensus is on how much is enough, but I know that to feel comfortable with what I have I want AT LEAST 1k of everything, and 5K of .22
I hear ya. Truthfully, if I had a tractor-trailer load of ammo, I would still feel like I didn't have enough. But I spend about $60 every month on stock piling ammo and that is more than 97% of the population is doing...

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
well as far as i see it,..guns and ammo will be worth their weight in gold,..the time to buy reasonable has come & gone,.& those that missed that bus,.i feel sorry for ya,..---now when a military firearm gets labeled "ASSAULT RIFLE",..
that burns me up---assault is a ACTION,.NOT a GUN,..which is what a semi-auto fire arm is .a gun,.a tool... im ok now,....to each his own,...i have a few ak-47's,
a few fn fal's (.308 nato)-a cetme (.308 nato)--30-06 eddystone,..a 8mm k-98
a few 12 guages,.semi and pump,..and 2,.sig 9mm's---i have a good supply of ammo--&-- friends that reload--i would suggest you pick up a .223 or 7.62x39
saiga,..they're fairly priced (@ 3-4 hundred new) its a semi auto & built very well...they're ak knock-off's--thicker receiver & chrome lined barrel,..& stuff interchanges with the ak also-----you do have a nice set up with what ya have,.but just the mere sight of a ak usually will send the other person going the other direction----incident free---and thats what were after..correct?--
if not wouldnt you like to have 30 - 40 rounds of ammo plugged in & ready to defuse the situation-----now i was stocked up on food,.+ med supplies ect,...
and a family member fell on bad times,..moved in & they also have a family (one girl & a boy on the way)--so our surplus got wiped out,..so time to restock stat,..glad the wife and i did so much canning this fall,....but hey to each their own---good luck with whatever you decide--

1 - 20 of 20 Posts