Survivalist Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I also have the OXO one (regular, not side cut) I find its larger turning key is easier for me to use as I have a little arthritis in my hands. Mine has lasted for years.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Dont use anything other than the swing away #10 can opener,,,,here is a picture link. The LONG arm really makes it easy, and really helps when your hands are weak with joint pain etc ( I know from personal experience), the leverage is the Best,, I have also used and carry the GI opener on my keys, and my swiss army knife. the swing away is best! You can find them at most Smart and Final stores and restaurant suppliers

https://www.amazon.com/Swing-Way-Ea...ay+#10+Crank+Can+Opener&qid=1614068574&sr=8-1

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
Best manual can opener ever. You have to prepare for any hand/finger injuries during a disaster, right?

Plus, you can put the can lid back on, as it cuts from the side instead of the top. Maybe you want to hide something in a can. This would work in a pinch. The lid does stay on pretty well for leftovers to go in the fridge. I've stored leftovers this way with no problems.)

OXO Good Grips Smooth Edge Can Opener

·
SI vis pacem,para bellum
1,894 Posts
Looking for recommendations for as sturdy and easy to use can opener for home use. I tried looking at reviews on Amazon and even the best reviewed seem to have detractors. Hoping for some actual user experiences and reviews. Thanks
You can't go wrong with this they are reliable, and could out last you.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Similar to the OXO safe edge is the Zyliss Safe Edge can opener. I have one also a Zyliss Lock n' Lift opener.

Both are pretty easy on the hands. Also have a bunch of P51 and P38 openers.

Reactions: MikeK

·
Accuracy is Final
497 Posts
Best manual can opener ever. You have to prepare for any hand/finger injuries during a disaster, right?

Plus, you can put the can lid back on, as it cuts from the side instead of the top. Maybe you want to hide something in a can. This would work in a pinch. The lid does stay on pretty well for leftovers to go in the fridge. I've stored leftovers this way with no problems.)

OXO Good Grips Smooth Edge Can Opener
I will second this one. We bought this after a lot of reading reviews and it has been great.

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
16,313 Posts
I finally dug mine out, my favorite is the Faberware. It came in a bright red which is my kitchen color and also easy to spot in the drawer. I don't use it often but have used it for years.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts

The EZ-DUZ-IT Is the US made one that was designed by the Swing Away designer after his original design got sold to China and they they crashed and burned it!

I also use two that work like the P38, but are easier to use and likely to last a couple lifetime. My favorite is the https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008MVYT4W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1. with the https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001TV6A7G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 being likely even easier to use if your hands need a little more leverage.

The Pearl is big enough to be easy to use and still small enough to be fairly fast opening cans!

Both live on a magnet on the side of the refrigerator in a couple different kitchens I frequent! With them hanging so conveniently I hardly ever open the kitchen drawer for my old Swing-Away or my newer EZ-DUZ-IT any more!

SD

·
I'M READY!!
4,243 Posts
I've been using an old Swing Away for a couple decades now but when I'm out camping or whatever I use a knife. There's a technique to it to avoid cutting fingers but once you get the hang of it, it's easy peasy.

·
aka Mental Avenger
4,996 Posts
Whatever you get, I suggest one of the safety can openers, the ones that leave a smooth edge. It also lets you put the lid back on top to save what you don't use. I have 5 of them. I check the Thrift Stores, and usually get them for $1. That lets me try several different ones cheaply.

·
Squared away like a donut
475 Posts
We have a few extras in case we need them, but our favorite is a side open Pampered Chef. A bit pricey, but they are freaking fantastic and well built. Ours has opened thousands of cans of food and still going strong, I do keep a good Ole P38 on my keychain as well, but honestly haven’t needed it since I was in the Army many moons ago. It’s just there if I ever need it. If you’re shopping for a new one though, I do highly recommend the pampered chef opener. I don’t care much for most of their over priced gadgets, but that sucker has been worth its weight in gold many times over.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I didn't see anyone mention the can opener blade on a Swiss Army knife. The old Boy Scout knives (which they still sell, BTW) had a similar blade, as do some multi-tools. They work pretty well, easier than a P-38, smaller than a manual kitchen opener and more useful than either with the other blades.

·
Off the leash
2,233 Posts
Also the P38 and the P51 are small enough to fit on key chains, in your pocket, just about anywhere so you are never without one. I've had a P38 on my keychain for over 20 years. Sardog has for over 30.

·
Semper Fi
9,226 Posts

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,128 Posts
According to the reviews they are NO LONGER what your mother had. Pretty crappy now.

I found a reference that said the company was sold to China in 2008. You will notice they no longer stamp "Made in USA" on the handle.
That would easily explain why the two newer model Swing Away's I've bought are lower quality. But it doesn't explain why the decades old models I have don't work as well on the cans made in the last decade. That part is on the cans themselves.

Switching to a side cutter can opener solved that instantly. Now to find a good long term one. That is the problem. I'm on my second and still not happy with it.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts