Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for recommendations for as sturdy and easy to use can opener for home use. I tried looking at reviews on Amazon and even the best reviewed seem to have detractors. Hoping for some actual user experiences and reviews. Thanks

·
Registered
134 Posts
I've never used anything but a manual can opener. Any that you pick up at Walmart or Target (or even the dollar store) should be fine, no need for anything fancy. I would stay away from the ones made of thin metal with a handle that has holes in the part you turn because I find that the holes hurt my fingers. My current can opener is an OXO, very comfortable to use.

·
Prepped
157 Posts
I normally use an electric one but if there is a power outage I bought 5 or 6 of the cheap manual ones where I grocery shop. They are not the best quality things made which is why I have a small fleet of them for backups. If I was to use a manual one daily I'd go to a commercial kitchen outfitter and buy a really good one.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I use an EZDuzIt or EZ-DUZ-IT. They are actually made in the U.S.A. and they cut can's like butter. I have had mine for about 15 years and no issues what-so-ever. I originally purchased mine on Amazon.

·
Super Moderator. I'm helping!
7,213 Posts
I like the OXO one also. I bought one about 15, 17 years ago. It still works like the first time I used it. There is a spare in the "kitchen box" in the garage in case it ever breaks.

·
Retired curmudgeon
18,700 Posts

·
BASS
2,114 Posts
The best I have used is: SWING-A-WAY. Find one of the older models at yard sales or Flea Markets if you can. I hear the newer models aren't as good as the older ones but give them a try if you get them cheap.
I have three or four in various places like: camping equipment; SUV compartment; vacation bins, etc

·
Registered
134 Posts
Great recommendations already. But for true back-up, and when size & weight are issues, don't forget about P-51s (or the smaller P-38).
I have them everywhere - packs, bags, overnight cases, sustenance bags, glove box, range bags, etc. Even my large Corpsman/medic bag
has one (for some reason that escapes me now).

-jack

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
For everyday use, we use a Pampered Chef one and I've been really happy with it. I normally don't think that Pampered Chef stuff is worth it, but I do in the case of their can-opener. Be advised that it works on normal, family-size cans but does not work well on large, gallon-sized cans (e.g., gallon can of green beans).

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
We like the OXO smooth edge can opener. Kinda weird, for a manual can opener in that it doesn't have two handles, just the one.

Nice in that there isn't any sharp/rough edges. Cuts / separates the top can seal. Can use the can lid to pop back on for short-term fridge storage of unused portion.

This one here: OXO Smooth Edge Can Opener

Have a spare in case this one goes, however has lasted years already. Backups to that are inexpensive "standard" few dollar can openers we have in an extra "kitchen usefuls" box (spare funnels, measuring cups etc...).

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,148 Posts
I've used Swing Away brand for decades. They're a good unit. However, these newer, thinner cans flex when using a top opening can opener and that causes the cutter to skip, leaving places where the lid is still attached. It's frustrating trying to go back over a section like that over and over again and it still won't cut.

I switched to a side cutter and problem solved instantly. Unfortunately I have a crappy one from Walmart. If I ever stumble across the OXO I'm going to grab it. OXO makes very good kitchen tools of all sorts.

·
Super Moderator
12,173 Posts
My daily use is a side cutter from Walmart, though not their private label brand. I have worn the printed name off the handle, but it might have been Faberware, though I do not think so. It has done yeoman service for years. I have two more of them in the deep stockpiles.

I have had good luck with all of the Official Swiss Army Knife can openers on Victorinox, Wenger, and Aitor versions. They are spread out among my gear in various kits, EDC bags, and LBE systems.

I always hated using a P-38 as it was hard to use, hurt my fingers something fierce, and due to some hereditary bone structure stuff, using one just literally would cause my fingers to lock up. I can still use a P-51, though it does hurt. I have several of them on EDC keyrings as well as some stash keyrings. I usually buy the actual military supplier-made ones by the dozen. I could not tell you how many of them I have given away to homeless people I see trying to get a non-easy open can open.

I may have used a pocket knife once, to open a can, but my dad saw me and told me he better not ever catch me doing that again to a good knife. (And not in the sense to make sure he just did not see me, but in the sense of do not do it.) I have used a Dremel with a metal cutting blade as well as a couple of times with a grinding wheel. And once a cordless 4 1/2" grinder. That was almost a disaster as it opened that can really, really, really fast.

Though I did do the Dremel and the grinder, it was to prove to someone that they did not have to have a can opener can opener. That there were lots of ways to open a can, especially if you were any kind of tool guy, especially if you had power tools. Not that I would not do it if that was all I had, it is not something I do on a regular basis. Gotta say, if you do use a grinder to open a can, be ready for a food bath, flying can lids, flying cans, and if there is anyone else around, some loud cursing.

I never tried a file, though I know it would work. So does concrete, as long as it is not a slick finish type. Have to be real careful there, too, as the can is inverted (unless you find an overhead concrete slab somewhere) and if you keep everything really even, the can lid is suddenly no longer attached and when you try to tip the can upright not everything wants to stay inside. So be careful if you do the movie thing of opening a can by rubbing it on concrete. It does really work, and quite well, but you do have to watch carefully and have a way to finish opening the can when you just begin to see a bit of moisture oozing out of the edge.

Pounding cans with rocks, metal bars, baseball bats, 2x4s, sledge hammer... That just does not work very well. Sometimes you can get the can open, but nothing inside is still inside and in condition to eat. Hatchets and axes work, too. And if have the aim of some mythical axeman, you can open the can and still have food in it.

And just so you know that last set of options that I described I learned about from a pair of friends that were basically idiots. Though that does kind of denigrate idiots unfairly.

Anyway, get a decent side cutter to use, and three or four more once you know it is a good one, to put back, and get a double handful of P-51s and scatter through your stuff so you will always have one somewhere close.

All true, but still pretty much my opinion.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Remember two is one and one is none.
Don’t have to be expensive but available.
Thinking of putting one in the get home bag.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
I like having the kind that breaks the seal instead of cutting it. Allows you to put the top back on. It's not a tight seal but keeps it for a day or two. Ours happens to be a pampered chef.

·
I have control issues
6,042 Posts
I also use a manual can opener all the time (don't even have an electric one). I prefer the Swing-Away opener. I've used it for years, and it's always been reliable.

·
I say I say
1,001 Posts
I have had this pampered chef one forever. No sharp edges. I have many other kinds right down to swiss army knife, Leatherman, p38....but if just for home this had been great....plus I have just stuck the lid back on if I don't use it all in one shot (like black olives in tacos tonight and then pull lid off again tomorrow for taco salad). IMG_20210222_200324574.jpg

·
Registered
365 Posts
We have a number of name brand hand can openers.. Maybe a dozen in a box tucked in a corner of the cold room..
Brands like Pampered Chef, Kitchen Aid, Cuisinart, and others.. All would be $15 or so new, these $.25 to $1 from garage sales or thrift stores...
The thrill of the hunt..

1 - 20 of 53 Posts