Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'am finally looking into storing food in mylar bags. Someone recommend a food saver that can seal mylar bags, and has a built in vacuum feature.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
foodsaver

Kev,

Take a look at these. Commercial grade and a wider seal than a FoodSaver.
Thank you, but that is a little out of my price range.

My wife (Kristy) and I went to the local wal-mart and picked up a vacuum foodsaver today at lunch.

Now I just need to order some mylar bags and oxygen absorbers. Some food saver bags came in the box, so I'am going to play around when them before I do the important stuff.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kev,

How about Foodsaver With Mylar bags and O2 Absorbers
That is what I plan on doing.

My wife and I would like to buy those family packages of pork chops, then reseal them in packages of 2.

When we start harvesting this years snap beans, we plan on sealing them in the bags, and storing them in the freezer.

·
Christian
39,500 Posts
I use a food saver and just seal my edges twice. a setting of 3 works great for the freezer.

The bags are also great for putting emergency items in my BOB that I do not want to get wet. Matches, radios, batteries etc.

Home made MRE's are fun too.

·
Never Give up
7,579 Posts
Not just matches ect

I use a food saver and just seal my edges twice. a setting of 3 works great for the freezer.

The bags are also great for putting emergency items in my BOB that I do not want to get wet. Matches, radios, batteries etc.

Home made MRE's are fun too.
I seal everything including underware in my bobs for long term. I know that its a pain but 1 it keeps things freshand dry. Then when I opem them I have bags for all sorts of stuff afterwards.
Remember when its time to use it do you really want everything wet? Besides it packs tighter when they are sealed and last longer.

·
Registered
62 Posts
some foodsavers will not seal the mylar bags, don't get hot enough. but you can use the vac. hose attachmnt if it came with one, stick an o2 in mylar bag use a hair straightner to seal the bag most of the way,stick the hose in corner of opening in top and suck out all air,then seal quickly--will take practice to do this quick enough,but works well

·
Christian
39,500 Posts
I seal everything including underware in my bobs for long term. I know that its a pain but 1 it keeps things freshand dry. Then when I opem them I have bags for all sorts of stuff afterwards.
Remember when its time to use it do you really want everything wet? Besides it packs tighter when they are sealed and last longer.
and it makes the bags stiff so they are less likely to allow whatever to break.

Its my favorite prepper device.

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts
I seal everything twice also. The regular seal, then another seal about 1/2 inch - 1 inch above that one. Reason is foods that are wet or have blood/moisture will make the first seal a little weak or it may have leaks in the seal. Sealing it 2x makes sure that doesnt happen.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Costco generally has FoodSaver brand ones for great prices. Also, order online the two caps to seal Mason Jars tops. I love this feature.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts