Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any thoughts for fire?
Either a "torch" type lighter that runs on butane or a zippo type lighter that takes flints and fluid?

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,758 Posts
I've had good luck with a plain old Bic. In fact that's what I always carry. A torch type would be more effective in wind or for lighting damp materials I guess.

·
dum dum
1,249 Posts
I collect Zippos, but for $12, I could spread a handful of Bics throughout my packs, vehicles, BOL's, heck, even one in each room of the house! Again, I have a fondness for the Zippo, but for "preparedness", I want something waterproof and nearly foolproof.
A rugged refillable would be a Brunton:

or

I have had (during my foolish younger days of trendy cigar smoking) a Colibri, but it didn't last long and is now a $60 paperweight. One thing to consider if you buy a refillable butane lighter...are you going to use it at high elevation? Yeah, mine (the Colibri and the gas station cheapo) wouldn't work above 12,000'. Look into one of these (or the like also made my Bronton, Colibri, etc.)

http://www.usalighters.com/visol-lighters/Storm-High-Altitude-Lighters.html

·
Registered
781 Posts
Back in my smoking days I lost more than one Bic (and generic types) from them blowing up in my car during the summer. Just a couple weeks ago I left a BBQ style lighter laying on a picnic table in the sun. The next day it had blown up and there were parts all over the place. Plan for heat.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for the tips. I will actually add a lens to my kit as well.
I've got a couple bics, a zippo, and a couple expensive (torch) colibris.

Firehiker- I actually just got the Colibri in the pic. it seems cool, has a lanyard, the cap unscrews and has a signalling mirror, etc... (wheee)

I was asking for input due to thinking longer term. feasibility of carrying extra lighter fluid and flints and/or can of butane.
btw, I live in FLA and heat is a factor.
I love my expensive torch lighters (colibri) but think that in rough conditions, long term, maybe maintenance/reliability is important. with a zippo or IMCO, seems much more simple and reliable.

So I guess the answer is- fresnel lens, a few bics, I'll keep my colibris anyway (and zippo with fuel). And I'll start shopping for an IMCO.
thanks all

·
dum dum
1,249 Posts

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Pea lighters are cheap and weather proof and use regular lighter fluid or any fluid like gas or kerosene. They are not windproof by any means. Any large quantity of flammable material is dangerous to store long term unless it is in a very secure container. Butane is somewhat expensive and evaporates quickly. I'd rather go with regular lighter fluid which would be much cheaper and much less dangerous in volume.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
576 Posts
I was about to recommend some colibris, but truth be told I've only used them in civilized settings.

If you do get a butane one, learn how to keep it working.

1) Only buy zippo butane or better (Better would be colibri or something else as expensive). Cheap gas = impurities that foul the valve.

2) Whenever you go to refill your lighter, first purge all remaining air, then fill it up somewhat, then purge it again. THEN you can fill. This is the only way to keep impurities from going through the valve. Also, it would be a good idea to never let the lighter approach empty. This is when those impurities try to come out.

3) Any butane lighter that relies on a piezo electric lighting device (if it clicks, and hten lights like a bbq lighter, then it is piezo electric) WILL FAIL! It will probably fail in under a year. I know for a fact that colibri has other lighting systems that are not so... temporary, like their Quantum line.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I use a Bic, Zippo, fire steel, freznel lens, book matches, and wooden matches. An I usually have at least three of those on me at any time...

·
Furry
1,475 Posts
A Brunton Helios if your going high end, or a couple Bic lighters at the low end, Match this up with a good Magnesium firestarter with a pouch of fatwood.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
I have a Brunton Helios but I think a handful of Bics in your pocket, pouches, FAK, food kit, cook set and anywhere else is sensible. I can think of better thangs to spend $50 on. Square that away then get a luxury item like a Helios.

Torch lighters are expensive ($35-$80 and I have lost 3-4 of them) and they can be a pain to start a fire with. Mine was this weekend for some reason. Everything was damp and cold, though.

For a bic, just dry them out if they get wet. I haven't noticed evaporation problems.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts