Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been wanting one for my shop. Anybody have one? The metal on a 55 gal drum does not seem very thick. Do you line it with fire brick?

·
glock snob
346 Posts
they last a long time .no need to line with brick just leve about 2 to 3 inches of ash in them been useing ,them for years

·
Rifleman
1,600 Posts
I have a friend who has heated his shop with one for a couple years. Seems to be holding up well. I don't know if I would use one in a house or cabin though. They take up a lot more floor space than a small wood stove.

·
Registered
52 Posts
If you buy a kit with the barrel included, they usually come coated with a black heat resistant paint, though as all metal things, it will decay in time. They do last for many years though, the Barrels that come with the kit are typically made specifically for the purpose these days (cheaper to mass produce than buy from another source) and have a thicker wall than say, oil drums. Ive had one in the shop for about 9 years now and still going strong. In tim any rust should be buffed out with some steel wool, and wipe the dust off with a damp rag, after it dries, repaint with some high temp (such as engine block or grill) paint.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
I have to admit I thought they would be junk but after hearing from you guys I have changed my mind. I would definitely consider using this as a way of heating. Thanks for the good post.

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
an x-brother in law back in the 80's built one and had an oil drip hooked to it. Used old motor oil to add heat. Thing lasted for years. Wish I could remember how he did the oil drip.

·
The Lord's Servant
2,248 Posts
This sounds like something I can heat the garage with. Can someone provide a link for the kits?
Thanks,
Joe

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,493 Posts
From what others are saying, it seems like they last pretty well. Just remember that if a barrel does burn through some day, that they are easily available and always will be. All it takes is cutting out new holes and installing it. If you find a couple freebies somewhere, you might put them back for such a day. I keep a bunch of barrels around to store fuel in and always seem to have a couple empties.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
55 gallon drums will take a 3 foot log I think.
The kits work good.Some guys throw sand in the bottom,some guys put bricks in. Adding bricks would allow it to retain heat longer.

·
Servo quod Servo
379 Posts
We had a barrel stove in the basement when I was a kid. We put a layer of sand in the bottom to keep the barrel from burning through. We also tacked 2 pieces of angle iron on the top and laid a steel plate over them. That way we could keep an old coffee can of water on it for humidity, but it didnt boil off so quick by adding the irons and the plate...sure heated nice!!!

·
off-grid organic farmer
23,890 Posts
He may be refering to the steel tank inside many electric HWH. I know I've seen plans around here somewhere for them.
I see.

I have abunch of dead water-heaters here [I use them for our thermal-bank]. Mine are all thin steel sheet on the outside and a glass tank inside.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
How would one cut into a glass lined tank without blasting the glass off the walls? A torch would crack it,a cutsaw would shatter it,a sawall would dull real quick.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts