Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Indefatigable
20,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the other goat thread, I mentioned I had some recipes to share and it was suggested I start a new thread, so here it is. I will get it started with 3 of my families favorites, but I am looking forward to some new recipes too :D:

Goat Meat Loaf
2 lbs ground goat
1/4 cup chopped bell pepper
1/4 cup chopped celery
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/4 cup shredded carrots
1 small onion diced
1-4oz. can of diced mild green chilies, drained (jalapenos if you prefer it spicy)
2 eggs (beaten)
1 cup of finely crushed butter-flavored crackers
1 teaspoon each: salt, black pepper and garlic powder
Mix all ingredients well (hands work best) pack into a 9x9x2” pan. Bake at 350 for 1 1/2 hours.
While the meatloaf is baking, mix together:
1 cup ketchup
2 tablespoons vinegar
2 tablespoons prepared yellow mustard
¼ cup brown sugar
Spread over the top of the meat loaf for the last 15 minutes of baking.

EASY GOAT CHILI
3 lbs of coarsely chopped goat meat
Brown the meat in bacon drippings in a dutch oven and then add:
1 large diced onion
1 cup of diced celery
1/2 cup of chili powder
2 Tablespoons of ground cumin
2 Tablespoons of paprika
2- 10 oz cans of tomato soup
2 cups of your favorite salsa
Simmer 1-1/2 to 2 hours, stirring and adding water as necessary. Add 1 can of black beans drained and adjust seasonings before serving.

Grilled Goat Chops with Apricot and Jalapeno Sauce
4 goat shoulders chops @1” thick
Lightly coat the chops with olive oil (or bacon drippings)
Sprinkle both sides of the chops with salt, pepper and cinnamon, rub into the meat.
In a small saucepan combine:
½ cup of apricot jam
1/2 cup jalapeno jelly
1 cup of Heinz 57 steak sauce
The juice of 3 limes and the zest of one
1 T prepared brown mustard
Simmer and stir gently until all ingredients are well mixed.
Broil or grill chops 4 inches from source of heat 8-10 minutes on each side. Spoon the sauce onto both sides of the chops for the last 5 minutes of cooking time. Serve remaining sauce on the side.

·
7,504 Posts
I am a bit of a salt addict, but a whole tablespoon each of salt and pepper in two pounds of meat for meatloaf sounds a bit much. Is it that much because you aren't using ketchup and other salty additions (aside from crackers) in the meat mixture?

·
Gravity is a Theory.
3,211 Posts
Fry up some onions, garlic, celery. Add in cooked potatoes, goat meat.

Stir in with your favorite curry. Amazing.

·
Indefatigable
20,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am a bit of a salt addict, but a whole tablespoon each of salt and pepper in two pounds of meat for meatloaf sounds a bit much. Is it that much because you aren't using ketchup and other salty additions (aside from crackers) in the meat mixture?
:eek::eek::eek:TYPO (fixed it) THANK YOU!!!!!!

Reactions: W.Lynn

·
Pull up your Dora panties
7,377 Posts
Thanx jojo

Reactions: Jojo

·
7,504 Posts
LOL, thought that might be the case, but the way my family goes through garlic and black pepper, I had to switch to whole peppercorns and huge jars of minced garlic (so they don't use up the powder on everything.)

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,451 Posts
Great looking recipes. I really love goat meat. For a couple other good recipes, google birria (goat stew with chiles) and cabrito (roasted goat). Two spicy favorites from down south. The Mexicans really know how to cook goat.

·
Indefatigable
20,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Mexicans really know how to cook goat.
I learned some of the recipes from my family growing up. Most of the newer ways I have learned have been from Hispanic people or middle eastern people. The same places I find my goat products now. My favorite way to have goat would translate as "goat with sweet-milk rice" (goat meat, cheese and milk with dried fruits, nuts and honey)but the recipe is complicated to say the least...I learned by repeated watching and taking notes. I have only made it a few times, mine being a far cry from the original. I am lucky, I have it at least once a year (Eid) and sometimes a friend will make it for my birthday.

Reactions: MikeK

·
Registered
20 Posts
The first and only place I've had goat was in Jamaica. I tried two of their 'national dishes'. There was as much bone as meat; as if the goat went through a wood chipper on the way to the pot. Bizarre. These recipes sound 'normal'.

·
Indefatigable
20,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The first and only place I've had goat was in Jamaica. I tried two of their 'national dishes'. There was as much bone as meat; as if the goat went through a wood chipper on the way to the pot. Bizarre. These recipes sound 'normal'.
LOL My husbands BF is Guyanese. His family lives next door. Their dad is a retired chef, it's like being friends with that bizzare food guy on TV...I have eaten goats head soup and fish cheek curry :taped: still better than haggis.

Reactions: MikeK

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
When I read this I thought "Why would you want to cook for a goat? They eat raw food..."

I've been a vegetarian for a very long time now, I guess...

·
Registered
730 Posts
goat is delicious in almost any recipe made for lean meat.smoked whole goat is unreal. in lots of recipes callin for venison yu can substitute goat. goat burger mixed with beef and ground pork is good also.

·
Registered
730 Posts
if yu are butchering your own goats and are not familair with them,normally goat meat comes from wethers(castrated males) or young females.older females are fine but will be tougher.breeding age males un castrated will be a challenge to make taste good. as well as a challenge to just butcher.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts