Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Thanks
4,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some elk meat that is about 1/2 inch thick and lots of pieces of it.
I put a marinade of spices, little bit of vinegar and oil on it about 5 hours ago.
There were way too many exotic marinades when I looked for recipes.

Anyways, how do I cook this next? Fry it? Coat it with bread crumbs?

Thank you :)

(PS) I need it tender. Thank you

·
Registered
960 Posts
charcoal grill

what cut is it?

if you coat it in egg and flour and fry in real slow in oilive oil is not bad either.but i love wild game on the grill outside.

·
Thanks
4,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Elkhound, I don't have a grill available. That was the problem I was running into on the recipe websites. a lot of grill or ground elk recipes.
What cut...umm.

The food saver bag said "Elk B.S"
It smells good??

My super sweet neighbors gave it to me.

Canola oil be ok? I used the last of my Olive oil. Yes, I know. Chef fail.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
We eat alot of elk. It sound like smaller pieces like stew meat? One of the best ways of cooking up wild game in my opinion is to pan fry in a tad bit of olive oil and some pepper. Relatively hot pan, fry all edges a tad carmelized and lightly brown with just a hint of pink left in the middle.

Put them over noodles or rice...and dinner is served.

Lots more options, but this is a quicky you may want to try... Good luck.

·
Thanks
4,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok. Thank you both very much. I think I will do a 'stroganoff' type of meal.
I'll egg it, batter it, fry it...make a nice creamy sauce and pour it over noodles with pieces of elk on top.

My mouth is watering so I think that must be the recipe for us. :rofl: Thanks guys!

·
Indefatigable
21,109 Posts
I think I have what you are looking for, in a cookbook Native Alaskan Cooking, you might try doing a search on that term and see what you come up with. Later tonight I will search out the book and see what they have to offer.

Reactions: MotherEarth

·
Indefatigable
21,109 Posts
This soup works well with any game. We like it with goat too.
From the book Cooking Alaskan
http://www.amazon.com/Cooking-Alaskan-Alaskans/dp/0882402374/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1312392632&sr=1-1
In a large heavy pot brown about one lb. of cubed meat in a couple tablespoons of oil. Add just enough water to cover the meat only about half way. Let the water almost cook away before adding only a little. Keeping adding small amounts of water and stirring (about 4-5xs) for a total cooking time of about 1-1/2 hours.
*You can shorten this step if you use a pressure cooker*
Now add the following:
1/2 t. oregano leaves
1 t. thyme
3 T. butter
1 large can of diced tomatoes with juice
1 4oz can of green chilies with juice
1 can cream style corn
1 large potato diced
2 med carrots cut into 1" slices
2 ribs of celery cut into 1/2" slices
1/2 c. thinly sliced green onion
Add enough beef or veg broth to cover well
Season with salt, pepper and crushed red pepper to your taste
Simmer slowly for one hour.

·
You Cant Eat ......
1,210 Posts
for tenderizing game meat, i use a shot or two of whiskey in my marinade.

I do agree if with the above poster that if it is backstrap, it is probably really tender to start.

Unless of course the BS stands for bottom shins, then i would try the whiskey

·
Right Wing Nut Job.
223 Posts
BS is the BackStrap ;) I would NEVER EVER fry Elk meat. If you like the gamey taste, just marinate it in some Soy sauce or Worcestershire sauce with maybe some salt, crushed peppercorn, garlic/garlic powder and maybe some crushed red pepper for a bite. If you dont like the gamey taste, submerge the Elk meat in a mixture of milk and honey OVERNIGHT. This almost eliminates the wild game taste. Personally I love the taste of wild game. I like it rare. But its not for everyone. I dont know who told you to marinate it in vinegar. You are in effect cooking the meat in an acid when you do that...Ive cooked and eaten a lot of game, never heard of vinegar ever used for a marinade. Hope it was good though.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
BS is the BackStrap ;) I would NEVER EVER fry Elk meat. If you like the gamey taste, just marinate it in some Soy sauce or Worcestershire sauce with maybe some salt, crushed peppercorn, garlic/garlic powder and maybe some crushed red pepper for a bite. If you dont like the gamey taste, submerge the Elk meat in a mixture of milk and honey OVERNIGHT. This almost eliminates the wild game taste. Personally I love the taste of wild game. I like it rare. But its not for everyone. I dont know who told you to marinate it in vinegar. You are in effect cooking the meat in an acid when you do that...Ive cooked and eaten a lot of game, never heard of vinegar ever used for a marinade. Hope it was good though.
Are you kidding?

"Wild Game flavor" which you speak of is usually related to poor care of the game in the field, poor butchering techniques, inclusion of fatty or conective tissues in the processed meat.

When we process wild game, we treat it like food and do not need to marinate or wash it down with vinegar. Kill you game, drop to you knees and thank god for his blessing. Immediately gut and skin the animal being sure to get the meat cooling. We occasionally wipe down or rinse down any meat which is tainted with dirt or any other foreign material.

When processing, trim off any fat and toss. Butcher the meat off the bone. Do not let any processor cut your wild game with a saw where they drag bone chips and bone marrow across both sides of your steak. This single action ruins the meat and causes foul flavor. Trim out any glands or connective tissue.

When cared for properly, wild game is absolutely fantastic, and incredibly delicous when pan fried in olive oil, or just about cooked any other way.

Wild game is not marbled with mild fat like pork or beef, most people cringe at the flavor of wild game fat or marrow, so it is adviseable to avoid any in your final meat product. Laziness or lack of knowledge lead to alot of destroyed wild game each year.

·
Thanks
4,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
For the update: it was very delicious :) I used it to make a "stroganoff" kind of dish. The rest I left in the marinade (yes, it did have a teaspoon of vinegar in it.) overnight and did a quick fry the next day and mixed it in with beans and rice. It was super delicious.

I love elk, it is now official. It is too bad I don't hunt. :(

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
For the update: it was very delicious :) I used it to make a "stroganoff" kind of dish. The rest I left in the marinade (yes, it did have a teaspoon of vinegar in it.) overnight and did a quick fry the next day and mixed it in with beans and rice. It was super delicious.

I love elk, it is now official. It is too bad I don't hunt. :(
Whoo whoooo! Great to hear! Another convert! See you at Elk Camp!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts