Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
what is yerr 2010 plan?
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for some good rechargeable batteries. So far I've been hard pressed to find a rechargeable that is close to the wattage of a disposable. Is it even possible?

This isn't for my BOB or emergency situations, that is what I have a stockpile of disposables for. It's mainly for my everyday use products that use batteries like my EDC flashlight.

How do you know a good rechargeable battery when you see it? what should be on the packaging? what is a good rechargeable material? Is lithium best?

If someone could point me to a good web resource or just tell me where to find Rechargeables that are at least close to the power of a disposable that would be great!.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I've had pretty good luck with the Energizer and Duracell ones. Around here, its about $17 for 8 "AA" batteries, 2650 mAh that charge in 30 minutes. Just keep in mind, some of these are just slightly larger than the disposable cells. I've had some trouble getting them to fit in select things, but I have smaller (1200 mAh) capacity cells made by Rayovac that seem to fit for some reason. Just slightly larger dimensions i suppose. Buy a charger with 4 batteries for less than $20, then toss in a pack (or however many you want/need) of AA and AAA and you should be good

·
Registered
131 Posts
I got the Sonyo made rechargeable package from Costco.
It has one of the best reviews from its users. The batteries are made in Japan and seem to be more durable than Chinese version.
Check out a seperate battery charger made by La Crosse sold by Amazon. It has more functions that also discharges and recharges for a better charge holding ability.
I am pretty happy with mine. But one thing I don't use rechargeable batteries are gun safes. Owner's manual discourages a use of rechargeable ones.

·
cute is not always enough
2,232 Posts
You really can not compare rechargeable to alkaline on the basis of wattage (mAh). The two technologies work in very different ways. Alkaline batteries offer very poor performance in high current systems so they 'go dead' very quickly in digital cameras. Rechargeable batteries self discharge rapidly so they are not good for equipment you only use regularly. You need to pick the right tool for the right job.

IMHO, unless you use your EDC flash a lot I would stick to alkaline batteries in it.

Green Batteries has good information.

Rechargeable Battery Review has not been updated in a couple years but a lot of the products are still available.

This site will tell you more than you would ever want to know. http://batteryuniversity.com/

·
Registered
9,106 Posts
I havent had much luck with my rechargable batteries.

You might want to keep an eye our for a Solar Battery Charger, that is now on the market.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I just picked up a nightlight/battery charger at Big Lots (Colorado Springs) by Rayovac that came with 2 AA and 2 AAA and I think it was about $8. The nightlight itself is solar I guess - - just charged up the batteries, haven't used them yet in anything, jsut thought this was a good cheap intro point for getting one of these. I have a lot of things i need to get - so when I see something like this, it makes sense to at least have SOMETHING as opposed to the whole lotta nothing I have stockpiled up until now :)

cheers
manowarfan1

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I use the Energizer NMh batteries. The storage life is pretty bad. After a few weeks, they are dead. I have read about a battery called Eneloop. They are supposed to have very good storage life.

·
Padawan
589 Posts
I have read about a battery called Eneloop. They are supposed to have very good storage life.
That seems to be the rumour. Found this old review from 2007 about them:
http://www.liewcf.com/blog/archives/2007/12/review-eneloop-rechargeable-battery/

"eneloop is ready to use, and can be stored for a long time but still retains 90% (6 months later) of the capacity. No need to recharge before use, like other brand rechargeable battery. Works in low temperatures (-10°C)."

Another review:
http://www.stefanv.com/electronics/sanyo_eneloop.html

·
what is yerr 2010 plan?
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You really can not compare rechargeable to alkaline on the basis of wattage (mAh). The two technologies work in very different ways. Alkaline batteries offer very poor performance in high current systems so they 'go dead' very quickly in digital cameras. Rechargeable batteries self discharge rapidly so they are not good for equipment you only use regularly. You need to pick the right tool for the right job.

IMHO, unless you use your EDC flash a lot I would stick to alkaline batteries in it.

Rechargeable Battery Review has not been updated in a couple years but a lot of the products are still available.

This site will tell you more than you would ever want to know. http://batteryuniversity.com/
Yeah I know they don't quite match disposables but I do use my EDC flashlight allot and I just want the best rechargables I can get.

·
Banned
1,711 Posts

mAh is current, Amps, not watts. Watts is Joules per second of energy output.

·
Be Prepared
446 Posts
I would give the nod to the Sanyo Eneloops. Very high quality and they don't self-discharge near as much as standard rechargeables. They used to be available at Wal-Mart, but I don't know if they still have them or not. You may also check at Costco, as I've heard they tend to carry them.

Duracell is also now making a non-discharging battery similar to the Eneloop, but I think the Eneloops still win out in the end from my experience.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts