Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whether bugging in or out, if or when the generator fuel is depleted, when there isn't sufficient sunlight to feed the panels, there is an alternative low VDC recharging solution out there. I haven't purchased this kit yet, but it is on my wishlist. I'm curious if anyone has used this kit from Greenivative. It certainly has advantages if it works like they say, EMP safe, small/lightweight, portable, barter-worthy, the cost seems reasonable, adaptative. I did a search here for "Greenivative" with no results. I wonder if this kit works with any AA rechargeable. Any feedback would be appreciated.

https://www.greenivative.com/

·
Registered
258 Posts
It uses a magnesium anode which is being oxidized (rusted away) to generate electricity. It's just about as single-use, non-renewable as stockpiling a whole lot of alkaline batteries.

You'd be much better off with a foldable solar panel, a PWM or even better an MPPT battery charger and a deep cycle battery. Use that battery to charge other batteries or power appliances...

Also don't believe squat about the "EMP Proof'edness of this device... There must be some kind of voltage or charge regulation, which means integrated circuits, which are just silicon chips. It might be less affected by an EMP because it doesn't need to be plugged into the mains outlet, but any old solar system ain't that either. But the internals can be fried in a jiffy

·
Registered
41 Posts
A similar product was produced about 15 years ago - the "Enviro-Gen" 12v saltwater generator. I picked two up cheap as the company went out of business (which is a clue). They work, but the amount of energy produced is small, especially for the weight, size and hassle. Replacement magnesium rods are makeable using water heater anodes, but the whole thing is more of a novelty - solar panels are better in almost every way.

Jeff

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
FAR better to invest in some Eneloop AA and AAA batteries that can be recharged 2,100 times, and they can be recharged from AC power (i.e. grid power, generator, inverter) or DC power (i.e. car, solar panel) in an hour or two, depending on your charger.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts