Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
I believe we are already in a recession and heading for a depression.

In our area several financial institutes have been laying off empolyees as well as car lots and most construction firms.

Construction has almost come to a screeching hault, realestate is barely moving, a cabnet company in our area just laid off over 100 employees. This is a company that had 3 shifts and now is down to one shift that is almost a skeleton crew.

Very few stores are hiring Christmas help. Restaurants are laying off employees. Every where I turn I hear of more people being laid off.

This is going to be a very tough year. I'm well prepared for this year, Now I am planning my strategy for next year.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am curious to see how the post-Thanksgiving travel and shopping will go.

Those could be pertinent signs.

·
Banned
317 Posts
We are already in a recesson and is only a matter of time (a very short time) before we are in a depression followed by a DEEP depression........

Like I keep saying.........as long as we don't have export we will be getting deeper and deeper in the hole because all that we are doing is sending money out with nothing coming in.

Even if we were to start exporting tomorrow it would take at least seven years for things to get back to "normal".

I only wished that those with coat and ties would talk about this......up till now no one.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Michigan has been in deep recession for well over a year.
It has been. This state has been #1 in the country for unemployed people.

I live just north of Detroit and I am really wondering when people are going to get crazy, around here.

These are bad times for too many.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I drive a truck and I have never seen freight this low before. My income has been cut in half for this whole month. I don't live beyond my means but I'm considering cutting things back so I'm not depending on each paycheck to pay bills.

I've been with the same company for 10 years so I'm hoping that will shield me if they start laying off drivers.

We have been in a recession for awhile now and it will only get worse. This will be global, not just America.

·
Registered
173 Posts
It's amazing to me, I go out to the malls and outlet malls and it's as packed as ever. People buying stuff left and right. I read the other day in the local paper that the nearby Hummer dealership was doing really well. How is this??? All my extra money goes to prepping not the malls

·
Registered
626 Posts
It's amazing to me, I go out to the malls and outlet malls and it's as packed as ever. People buying stuff left and right. I read the other day in the local paper that the nearby Hummer dealership was doing really well. How is this??? All my extra money goes to prepping not the malls
Those that are still employed are mostly blind to what is happening because people are CHOOSING to be blind. Some who are still unaffected are acting like it is still business as usual in this country and that the government is still going to fix everything...

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
I drive a truck and I have never seen freight this low before. My income has been cut in half for this whole month. I don't live beyond my means but I'm considering cutting things back so I'm not depending on each paycheck to pay bills.

I've been with the same company for 10 years so I'm hoping that will shield me if they start laying off drivers.

We have been in a recession for awhile now and it will only get worse. This will be global, not just America.
You have a CDL? Get more training,more endorsements.Don't rely on your employer to do it for you,do it pro-actively.Your employer will see you as more serious about your job,and will consider this in layoffs.If you are laid off,you have more feathers in your cap when applying at other firms.Its this way in all fields right now.Employers want the most serious,most efficient,most hard working,most on time,most honest,most...you get it.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am amazed at the mass denial. I had begun to wonder if we are the only ones aware of what seems to be the american financial system tanking in the next 6-12 months.

I guess if you feel helpless to do anything then you just go along business as usual with a trip to the mall...hoping for the best

it baffles me at times...

·
Registered
204 Posts
I am amazed at the mass denial....

...it baffles me at times...
Nah, it'll be fine. :thumb:

Honestly, this is a good thing. It'll blow down the house of cards with its dollar worship and tricky little shell games and (eventually) usher in something which works.

It'll suck for us - yes me included. We are in for hardships and chaos not seen since WWII. Our kids and their kids will either thank us or hate us for what we do next.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm not big on finances. Edward Jones and I sit down a few times a year and go over my porfolio but I will never say that I am a finacial whiz. The one thing is that I love to gab and I'll talk to anyone. I was talking to our local bank president and he said that where the stock market has fallen to today is where it was a year ago. So the stock market isn't the major problem right now and shouldn't be used as an indicator. Now these are his word, not mine. He said that as fast as stocks rose in the last year we had to know it would plunge or even out just as fast.

He says what the problem is the lack of jobs and the lending crisis. He thinks the lending crisis will work itself out but it may be a couple years. The job loss is his biggest concern. He hopes that with the country turning to alternative fuels and looking in new directions that thses will provide new jobs for Americans. As he say, the old jobs are gone and they're not coming back. He says Americans have to pull thmeselves up by the bootstrings and learn new things, like when electricty became big the people who became rich were those men who went and learned how to work with electricty.

I don't know. My job is secure right now and so a slowing economy will be good for me. That means prices will fall. Without the lending though there will be less stuff out there to buy so it may even itself out.

I dson't know what's going to happen. I was thinking of those men and women who are coming home from the war now and what they are walking into. I mean can you imagine leaving the country when your worse fear is whether or not you're going to be coming home and then coming home to be thrown into this mess? I, at least, have had time to get use to it.

Anyway, my whining is over. I'll sneek off an complain in another thread.;-)

Tury

·
Premium Member
1,421 Posts
In good times when everyone has work the employers have to settle for what they can get. In bad times when so many are unemployed, the employer gets very chosey because he/she has so many to chose from. So, I agree with FredLee. Anything you can do training wise or to help your company or yourself, do it. Personally, I've noticed that this has been coming for about 5 years. But people had work and none seemed to notice we were puffed up but had little substance. Enough people have fallen now so that only fools can be blind any longer. Some people think as long as they have credit cards, they have money. My husband said it never ceased to amaze him when he was in the Army the number of young soldiers who thought because they still had checks for their checking account - they must have money in the account. They go to the malls and charge blindly telling themselves there is a promotion or pay raise right around the corner. All the while more people are falling farther behind. Waiters/waitresses making 1/2 or 1/3 what they did last year. Professional carpenters taking handyman jobs. Skilled tradesman going for unskilled wages. I noticed at the doctors office on Thursday the receptionist estimating the charges and asking for money up front to see the doctor. It's happening everywhere and to all groups of people. To my way of thinking we'll be in a deep depression before the government acknowledges we might go into a recession.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Like the saying goes..When its your neighbor losing his job and house its a recession but when its you its a depression.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I'm not big on finances. Edward Jones and I sit down a few times a year and go over my porfolio but I will never say that I am a finacial whiz. The one thing is that I love to gab and I'll talk to anyone. I was talking to our local bank president and he said that where the stock market has fallen to today is where it was a year ago. So the stock market isn't the major problem right now and shouldn't be used as an indicator. Now these are his word, not mine. He said that as fast as stocks rose in the last year we had to know it would plunge or even out just as fast.

He says what the problem is the lack of jobs and the lending crisis. He thinks the lending crisis will work itself out but it may be a couple years. The job loss is his biggest concern. He hopes that with the country turning to alternative fuels and looking in new directions that thses will provide new jobs for Americans. As he say, the old jobs are gone and they're not coming back. He says Americans have to pull thmeselves up by the bootstrings and learn new things, like when electricty became big the people who became rich were those men who went and learned how to work with electricty.

I don't know. My job is secure right now and so a slowing economy will be good for me. That means prices will fall. Without the lending though there will be less stuff out there to buy so it may even itself out.

I dson't know what's going to happen. I was thinking of those men and women who are coming home from the war now and what they are walking into. I mean can you imagine leaving the country when your worse fear is whether or not you're going to be coming home and then coming home to be thrown into this mess? I, at least, have had time to get use to it.

Anyway, my whining is over. I'll sneek off an complain in another thread.;-)

Tury
He's right, the problem is jobs, and living wages. I have been telling everyone this for years now, I might as well tell you all too. All my life wages have been stagnant due to illegal immigration. I still make the same as I did right out of highschool. About 4 years ago I owned a constuction business,and could no longer stay in business because I kept getting undercut by contractors using illegal immigrants. The 10 years I was in the business I saw so many stupidly rich bastards with 2, 3 ,4 houses..made me sick. meanwhile I couldnt afford to buy my own. I know what it costs to build a house, and I knew the housing was way overpriced for years, and there was no way I would pay that much for wood and sheetrock. I just assumed , and still do, that I'll never be able to afford a house. Anyway.. sorry I got sidetracked there..Point is I have been seeing this coming for years. Its only because its finally affecting the rich that we are now hearing about it.

Until they stop outsourcing our jobs, and remove the illegals this thing will never turn around. They can say this or that will fix the economy, but until they address the foundations of the economy... American jobs with at least living wages...nothing will change
And since they are such GREEED STRICKEN BASTARDS. they would rather see our country crumble to dust than pay us a decent wage. So get ready for the depression folks.

my rant..

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
this country needs a prozac enema

·
Registered
557 Posts
Great post

He's right, the problem is jobs, and living wages. I have been telling everyone this for years now, I might as well tell you all too. All my life wages have been stagnant due to illegal immigration. I still make the same as I did right out of highschool. About 4 years ago I owned a constuction business,and could no longer stay in business because I kept getting undercut by contractors using illegal immigrants. The 10 years I was in the business I saw so many stupidly rich bastards with 2, 3 ,4 houses..made me sick. meanwhile I couldnt afford to buy my own. I know what it costs to build a house, and I knew the housing was way overpriced for years, and there was no way I would pay that much for wood and sheetrock. I just assumed , and still do, that I'll never be able to afford a house. Anyway.. sorry I got sidetracked there..Point is I have been seeing this coming for years. Its only because its finally affecting the rich that we are now hearing about it.

Until they stop outsourcing our jobs, and remove the illegals this thing will never turn around. They can say this or that will fix the economy, but until they address the foundations of the economy... American jobs with at least living wages...nothing will change
And since they are such GREEED STRICKEN BASTARDS. they would rather see our country crumble to dust than pay us a decent wage. So get ready for the depression folks.

my rant..
I have seen wages stagnate for sooo long!!!! In the home remodeling business many employers have rehabbed and sold homes and buildings using illegals. The thing is that legal working skilled Americans were into the union trades because they could never compete for the job when it comes to remodeling. Home owners would get three bids , guess who got the job?? Realtors also went into the rehab business and speculated, now with construction down, the skilled American workers can not go to remodel jobs to keep them going. Just to many people both legal and illegal doing it , and now no one wants to spend a fortune on remodeling a home that is worth 30% less. I watched this all play out and got into a few heated discussions with people who were realtors etc. I just do not know where or how this is going to end. I would say rent an affordable apartment for now cause we ain"t hit bottom yet!!

1 - 20 of 66 Posts