Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any ides what happened to all the requisitioned,recovered weapons in the Iraq and Afghan wars? had to be large caches of all sorts? where are they and what are the chances of them being refitted to semi,made compliant and imported?..i wonder what types and models were found....

·
Have gun,will travel
4,538 Posts
No chance. Stockpiles/caches are either surrendered to host nation or destroyed.

·
Not To Reason Why...
1,966 Posts
Yea, I thought about that too, it's too bad they destroy a majority of them. I thought the same about local confiscated weapons. Ones that weren't used in the commission of a crime, for local deparments to auction them off. That would be awesome, make some money for the PD's, help out the economy to sell off war relics, confiscated, items, even if they "parted" them out there's a market for it, and money to be made, and they destroy them. What a shame.

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
usualy we blow them in place or destroy them in some way as to render 100% in operable at the very least we take the springs from the aks and the bolt face even the ones they were allowed to have

Reactions: Harmless Drudge

·
Registered
11,613 Posts
I believe small arms and ammo are given to host nation military and police for their use.

We won't see a govt that allows reworking and importation of these weapons.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I recall going back to the truck for some C4. You wouldn't want most of the crap out there anyway, even retrofitted. Just so worn, so abused, so jacked up, NO sane manufacturer or importer would even take a chance due to the lawsuit happy country we've become. Use with caution at owners discretion isn't even a protective label anymore.

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for the replies, never knew what happened to them,,does seem to be a shame to destroy all of them,,as somewhere there had to be a few gems in the mix,possibly....worst case break them up and sell them as replacement parts or something,,just seemed a way to recoup money for our govt,forces and provide collectors etc a chance,,,but maybe that is why we are going broke in the first place? ,i had read they found some old Martine Henry rifles in Afghan, if they were still uses them who knows what else was out there....

·
that's like, your opinion
17,825 Posts
it is something of a combination of some of the above responses... generally there are a few options given time and operational constraints:

1. render inoperable on site to ensure that they cannot be reused by insurgents (generally when you have limited time, sometimes we would actually just bend the barrels on our vehicle bumpers). occationally, weapons are held as evidence and destroyed at a later time as well.
2. capture and recondition for host nation forces (more likely done on joint operations with HN forces and when you have plenty of time)... these have to be carefully inspected as improper maintenance or booby trapping (drilling a hold in the chambers) can cause failures that might harm potential users

i was deployed to iraq twice and captured weapons are not maintained very well at all, not to mention the shady quality of manufacture (these are not Izmash Aresenal AKs mind you)... i have heard that afghani's maintain their weapons extraordinarily well, but in general you do not want any iraqi weapons.

we saw all kinds out there, from your standard comblocs to much more antiquaited WWI style bolts, even saw a sterling (or a sten) on two seperate occations. even saw an enfield once too.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Friend of mine was in Afghanistan. He said him and his buddies tried their best to get some back here (taking apart and hiding in the mail, etc.) and none of it worked. So no, no chance.

·
Registered
58 Posts
These are not nations that had large stock piles of weapons like in WWII.

Remember that in WWII that every nation was making arms at full production. Many millions of firearms never even saw use... Then the cold war saw factories at near full production for thirty years.... I don't think there is an arms factory in all of Afghanistan.

Iraq weapons for the most part seemed to be surplus from China and Russia, so they are used, old used guns.. Not exactly worth the effort.

·
Garbage Collector
11,363 Posts
We used them to re arm and equip the Iraqi troops, Iraqi Police and Afghan troops.
What didn't get used for them was generally destroyed.

There is no way any of those weapons would ever be allowed for import into the US.
Now there may be some enterprising diaper head in the future selling parts of them onto the market.

Most of the insurgent weapons I handled were either ancient or garbage condition, we found some MP40's and an STG44 at one point, but mostly trashed AK, Dragunov, SKS, and some Russian/Chinese heavier weapons- RPG's, heavy machine guns, grenades, etc.

Reactions: socaldsal

·
Registered
123 Posts
We used them to re arm and equip the Iraqi troops, Iraqi Police and Afghan troops.
What didn't get used for them was generally destroyed.

There is no way any of those weapons would ever be allowed for import into the US.
Now there may be some enterprising diaper head in the future selling parts of them onto the market.

Most of the insurgent weapons I handled were either ancient or garbage condition, we found some MP40's and an STG44 at one point, but mostly trashed AK, Dragunov, SKS, and some Russian/Chinese heavier weapons- RPG's, heavy machine guns, grenades, etc.
That reminds me of a PSL we found, it wasn't a Drag. The barrel was slightly bent, and looked like it had been pounded back in to "generally straight" with a rock or something. Even if the rest of the gun were fitted with a new barrel....would I REALLY take that chance? I wasn't born with 40x vision and can't detect any fatigue in the metal by my eyes alone, and to test something like that would make a $400 POS resell as a $2000 POS just to cover the cost of checking each one that comes through. Green plastic handles and all the Inshallah crap painted on there....blech.

Cheaper to buy the ones here, even from those that think their WASR is a $2000 gem.

·
Garbage Collector
11,363 Posts
Friend of mine was in Afghanistan. He said him and his buddies tried their best to get some back here (taking apart and hiding in the mail, etc.) and none of it worked. So no, no chance.

Your friend is full of it, if they had attempted this then they would be spending many many years either in a military prison or the federal prison system.

Trying to do things like what you described is 100% guaranteed to be detected and prosecuted all the mail and packages were screened heavily for contraband items like weapons, ammunition, etc.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
We blew caches in place, and I don't know where everyone else was shopping, but in Anbar, alot of the caches had some really nice weapons in there just needing a little TLC. They were recorded, piled, and blown in place. Our policy was not to arm even Iraqi Police with those I had a nice browning hi power, beautiful gun, well maintained, that was sort of a paper holder that had been passed along across a couple of rotations since no one had the heart to send it to be smelted.

Every Marine who attempted to smuggle out even parts was prosecuted.

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
I recall going back to the truck for some C4. You wouldn't want most of the crap out there anyway, even retrofitted. Just so worn, so abused, so jacked up, NO sane manufacturer or importer would even take a chance due to the lawsuit happy country we've become. Use with caution at owners discretion isn't even a protective label anymore.
wow, the Mosin Nagants have been through 3 or 4 wars now and still truckin.

I think I'll stick with my slavjunk that doesn't wear out on command by the MIC.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts