Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I want to start hunting but i don't know where to start when buying a rifle. Could you give me a few reccomendations for a moderately priced rifle.
Thanks

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
what do you want to hunt? and will this be your 1st and only weapon ?what type of terrain do you live in,dessert,plains, forrest?do you plan on starting to go hunting or are you wanting this just incase?how much are you wanting to spend on the rifle it self?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what do you want to hunt? and will this be your 1st and only weapon ?what type of terrain do you live in,dessert,plains, forrest?do you plan on starting to go hunting or are you wanting this just incase?how much are you wanting to spend on the rifle it self?
Ill be hunting in forests. Yeah this'll be my 1st and only. I dont really know the price ranges of rifles but i'd probably spennt up to 300euro. I'll be hunting foxes, pheasants, rabbits etc.

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
then i would look into a semi-auto shotgun 12ga, plus a shotgun can double as the best home def. weapon you can have.

but if you must have a rifle i would get a.22 for small game but your going to have a hard time shooting pheasant with any rifle.

a remmington or mossberg 12ga would be good
http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/shotguns/SPR_models/SPR453_autoloader.asp
http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/shotguns/model_870/model_870_express_synthetic.asp
http://www.mossberg.com/products/default.asp?id=6&section=products

if i was getting a .22 .i would get a ruger 10/22

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/FAFamily?type=Rifle&subtype=Autoloading&famlst=39

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
then i would look into a semi-auto shotgun 12ga, plus a shotgun can double as the best home def. weapon you can have.

but if you must have a rifle i would get a.22 for small game but your going to have a hard time shooting pheasant with any rifle.
ok how much would the 12gauge roughly cost and how much would the .22 rifle roughly cost?

·
Registered
20 Posts
No need for the semi-auto. It's just an uneeded luxury that will add on hundreds. The handicap of the pump will only make you better with accuracy. Go for a pump 12 gauge if you go for a shotgun. I suggest the 870, because it's extremely reliable, and cheap(250$ new). Also, in a home defense situation, just yelling to leave and pumping the action could send the invader on his way. If you may hunt larger game like deer, it'll be tough because the rifles necessary for those won't work for small game. But for small game I would suggest a .22LR as well. The extremely reliable Ruger 10/22s fetch for about 250$ new as well. But because you are going to go for birds as well, the shotgun seems like the best gun.

·
Behind Enemy Lines
776 Posts
I would get a Ruger 10/22 for a first rifle. Light, easy to use. Ammo is extremely cheap. Bought 600rds for $16.14 at WalMart yesterday.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
andrewphanley if you are a beginner do not get a ruger semiauto .22. I suggest czech CZ452 bolt action rifle or the chinese equivalent which was called a JW15 when they were sold once upon a time in america.

"Ill be hunting in forests. Yeah this'll be my 1st and only. I dont really know the price ranges of rifles but i'd probably spennt up to 300euro. I'll be hunting foxes, pheasants, rabbits etc."

Get a used savage model 24 over and under with one rifle barrel and one shotgun barrel. I said used since I am not sure if this model is still in production. The idea set would be a .222 remington rifle barrel and a 12 or 20 ga shotgun barrel.

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
andrewphanley if you are a beginner do not get a ruger semiauto .22. I suggest czech CZ452 bolt action rifle or the chinese equivalent which was called a JW15 when they were sold once upon a time in america. These are very safe and simple designs. Currently the cheapest high power rifle would be former military bolt guns like a 7.62 russian mosen nagant rifle or a Serbian 8 mm 98 mauser. They are accurate, cheap, and quite powerful. I am not sure what there is to hunt that requires a highpowered rifle in Ireland.
how is he going to hunt birds with a high power rifle? what scope do you suggest he get with it?

he needs it to hunt birds so he doesnt need a high powered rifle.i would hate to see the rabbit hit by 8mm. i think he wants to eat what he kills

for $300 euro = $402 USD you should beable to get maybe 1 pump 12ga and maybe if you shop right a semi-auto 12 ga you could afford both or you may get a pump and a .22 i think if i was going to get a 12ga and a 22 with $300 euro i would get a semi auto 12ga and a bolt action .22. you may need the fast action for the birds, rabbit and squirrel you can get in 1 shot. do you have pawn shops in ireland?

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts