Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, hopefully i'm putting this question into the proper subforum !

I'm looking for a light-to-midweight (like a softshell i guess) tactical-ish jacket in which to (legally)carry a small weapon like a Glock 26 or 21 in one of the inside pockets. I do know that there are many tactical jackets on the market BUT in my case, i want one that is not-too tactical looking (as in hopefully no velcro patches on the shoulders, etc).
There used to be one on the market called the Alpha Scottevest, was $200 , but it's no longer available. It had tons of pockets inside & out . Hoping to stay away from leather if possible.

Thanx in advance for any feedback & recommendations !

·
Somewhere on a ranch...
1,944 Posts
I tried wearing a gun in a jacket for a while (Glock 23) and the jacket would always tilt fairly obviously to that side unless it was zipped... Which isn't always possible.

Went to an IWB holster and never looked back. Much easier to deal with. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
12,119 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
I tried jacket pocket carry one time with my P238. Never again. I lost a good pocket on a cold day and even though the little gun still never printed, the added heft never sat still and moved awkwardly. Go IWB/OWB and be happy.

·
Registered
5,429 Posts

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
My concealed carry instructor had a jacket he brought to class that was made for carrying.He also had a backpack he showed us. I think in the waist band is the way to go with a great holster and belt.The jacket he had seem to work for him nicely. I didn't catch the name of the company he was pushing. He has a store for concealed carry items called Devil Dawg in Illinois.

·
reluctant sinner
17,913 Posts
Find a nice puffy jacket you like, down or a synthetic. Sew in a holster on one side and a pouch for magazines on the other. Be nice if the extra magazines weight is nearly the same as the loaded pistol. I prefer right handed shooting so I would have the pistol on the left side.

·
Fenced In
3,339 Posts
The biggest problem I've found with many of the CC jackets, shirts and even tactical/LBE vests is that the pockets or holsters are universal and generally not adjustable for the dimensions of any particular gun. As others have already pointed out, this can result in everything from feeling awkward to printing to even having your gun sliding around. I did buy a work shirt (Tru-Spec brand as I recall) with an interior CC pocket, which has false buttons on the front and actually opens with Velcro for fast access to the gun. It actually isn't bad for carrying a slim, compact pistol, as it stays put fairly well, but I've stuck with IWB carry because I'm not going to wear that shirt every day and don't like it enough to buy multiples.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I only jacket pocket carry when its so cold that I'm wearing so many layers it would take me forever to present the handgun. Having said that I usually still wear my EDC and then pocket carry another gun.

I second the IWB carry! I've never gone back to a OWB holster after trying out the Galco summer comfort.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I only jacket pocket carry when its so cold that I'm wearing so many layers it would take me forever to present the handgun. Having said that I usually still wear my EDC and then pocket carry another gun.

I second the IWB carry! I've never gone back to a OWB holster after trying out the Galco summer comfort.
thanx for the rec on the Galco SC...it looks like a quality product that would last a long time. For the upcoming warmer months here in the midwest, personally I'm actually looking for an IWB (for G26) that would NOT be made to attach to a belt(like the Galco SC) but would attach directly (hopefully securely) to workout shorts or sweatpants. When I say 'securely' I mean so that the holster/gun combo wouldn't jiggle around during a hike and/or outdoor workout which might include some brief running(not a long jog but brief sprints,usually up&down small hills) and/or resistance/bodyweight exercises(chins, kettlebell stuff, etc).

·
Registered
12,803 Posts
I like the safari shoulder holster best ;
It anchors to the belt and there are no straps in front.
The safari fit's the gun snugly so that running or on ropes in awkward positions you don't have to worry about it sliding out.
But that way I don't much have to think about the jacket I'm wearing .
Lets face it if your carrying the jacket is not coming off one way or another.
If you are layering the holster can go on the clothing that is just under what isn't removed for discomfort of heat.
If one is properly aware of their environment and has no choice but to remain the outer layers can be opened for access casually and act appropriately.

·
Survived Panic Buy Dec'12
535 Posts
I personally wouldn't put a firearm in my jacket. A jacket can easily be pulled off or pulled over your head handicapping you. The only place a firearm should be is on your person. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts