Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Junior Oldie
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some advice from you knife builders out there. I have a favorite knife that's seen better days. It's a Normark rebranded Marttiini puukko-style that I've had for nearly 15 years and has been one of my favorite fishing knives. 5 inch stainless. Haven't really abused it, but it has been used when necessary. Anyway, as you can see, the blade and handle have gone their own ways (I know they think it might be for the best, but they've been together so long, I hate to see them part). They were held together by a curious form of epoxy - it's like some kind of rubber, easily cut. Anyway, what type of epoxy do you recommend to bring these two wayward kids back together? Anything special I should do before/during/after reassembly?

Sorry for the quality of the pics - can't find my real camera, so used my phone.

Attachments

·
Junior Oldie
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Was wondering if that might be the right type. Usually, I just try something and hope for the best, but I don't want to ruin this knife, so asking first.

Been wondering what to do about excess glue. I'm afraid acetone will ruin the rubber handle. Anything else that might work, other than being real careful?

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
With devcon you have a little time to wipe off what you don't need. Do not quote me but devcon works on rubber as well. All I know is once it dries the job is done.

Speaking of that how did it come out scosmo451? lets see some pics on the finished job.

·
Junior Oldie
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, got the epoxy and was going to do it up tonight, but now I'm on hold for at least a week. I have a neurological disorder and fell a few weeks ago and damaged my hip, putting me in my wheelchair since. Yesterday, I fell getting out of the wheelchair to take a leak and thought I sprained my wrist, but the doc at the ER today thinks I may have broke something. Since I went to the ER after feeling a bone move in the wrist and a popping noise, he may be right, but I have to have some more x-rays done. In the meantime, my left arm is splinted and wrapped. So, now I have one functioning set of arm and leg (right and left) and one virtually useless set (left and right). Makes using my manual wheelchair fun. Throw in another visit to the ER, and I've been to the ER three times in five weeks. With my luck lately, I'm afraid if I work on a knife that I'm gonna wind up having to pull it out of some part of my body. So, knife project on hold until I get two functioning hands.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts