Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Moderate preps fan
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm feeling a bit like Noah right now.

UGH! The utter frustration of trying to get the preparedness message through to the sheeple that are your nearest and dearest!

My most recent family member's comment: (after my brother-in-law saw my store room)....

"Totally unnecessary"

Need I say more?

The few other immediate family members who I have told about my hobby have either chuckled politely, or reacted with that extremely patronising;
"Well, we know where to come if things get bad".
I'm sure many here will know just how much that one gets the blood boiling!

When you're trying really hard to provide a heads-up, an "eye's open" moment for the people you really love, it gets quite upsetting to realise the only "eye's open" moment they have chosen to take away with them, is a shift in their opinion about you - to that of;
"he's loosing it" or "nutter" status.

Maybe I'm just saying all the wrong things to them? or maybe I'm saying the right things, just not articulating them well enough? but in the long run, this puts all of my planning in jeopardy.
I don't have the money or the space to store enough supplies to provide for my wider family in the event of TSHTF, but what kind of a monster would I have to become to leave them out in the cold if such an event occured? - I simply wouldn't or couldn't do that.

So if TSHTF, I'll end up taking care of my family, but my supplies are gone in 1/8th of the time I planned on them lasting.

So, right now, I guess my only hope is to try my best to get them on board.

It's really important to understand that over here in the UK - hardly anything "BIG" ever happens.

The last major hurricane we had, somebody lost a chimney pot and a few roof tiles.
We had a twister the year before that, and it made a bus late.
We have 300 earth tremors a year in the UK, -all barely measurable, although one year we had a tremor and somebody's cat fell over.

We did have the fuel blockades several years ago, and for 3 days, all the supermarkets were running a bit low on bread - hardly SHTF territory!

Let's be honest about it, the UK is quite possibly the dullest place on Earth to live insofar as potential for SHTF events - which I guess is a good thing, but it also breeds total complacency. We have nothing here to keep us on our toes.

So how can I reach people (my immediate family) who all seem to be tempered to this level of 'business as usual'?

I can't go to them with tornadoes and earthquakes, fire and ice, or any of that (in their minds) "Hollywood" stuff. It will just reinforce my "nutter" status and push them further out of reach.

I need to come at them with much more realistic, much more feasible and down-to-earth scenarios, tangible truths and realities that might actually stand a chance of getting their attention.

So, the point of this thread is this:

Can anybody help me to build up a list of realistic, feasible preparedness scenarios, that could happen imminently, and are likely to get the attention of my wider family?

Or in other words:
What the hell am I preparing for? and what can I tell others to convince them to do the same?!

Thanks for your contribution in advance :thumb:

·
Looks like rain to me.
41,428 Posts
1. Food supply disruption. How much of what the UK eats is shipped in from Europe. Shipping strike in other countries, terrorism etc. Can that cause a food shortage.

2. What's the economy like? The US and GB are tied pretty tight. The British pound hovers right at $1.65 american. As goes the US economy, how will the British economy fare?

3. Job loss? Hoe secure are the jobs of family sheep?

There are 3 off the top of my noggin

By the way, "We are comming to your house if SHTF" gets met by a blank stare from me. They know the welcome mat at my house gets rolled up at the first scent of ****.

·
Guy Who Does That Thing
593 Posts
Well, prepping for a SHTF scenario makes no differance where you live. A riot or civil unrest may happen anywhere. A natural disaster may strike anywhere, anytime without warning. A financial crisis where you go broke: those supplies come in handy. A pandemic (not this scam "swine flu") may force you to stay indoors, away from others: those supplies come in handy. Point being: you do not want to be one of those who are unprepared, waiting in lines when there is a disaster of whatever type, for a government handout that may never come or is barely enough to keep you and your family alive.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
gave up trying to convince anyone

It's pretty much impossible to convince anyone of anything. I've given up. I also mentioned out loud a few times that we ate all our stores before we moved. Now, when I buy preps, I shut up about it.

I understand that you would never turn away family, I feel the same way, but there is no need to advertise!

·
Registered
174 Posts
First let me say I think it's very noble of you to want to help others in this manner. I am afraid however that some people will only begin to see the light when things are truely dire. Others will continue to deny whats happening even then. Im sure even Noah eventually quit trying . I personally would quit telling people about your storeroom and preparedness. These people obviously think your a nut and are probably telling others about what your doing. You may end up with many people you dont even know at your doorstep after tshtf. These people are called "sheeple" for a reason. Have you ever tried to explain your actions to a sheep? Didnt think so!

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
How did you become aware?

Since your over in England, have a cup of tea with someone who lived during world war II.

My focus on my preparation scenarios is close to what happened over there. Serious disruption of society, but it still marches along in diffculty. Not really preparing for some sort of zombie attack or world war III thing. Just ot get along completely on your own for a rough winter, or to provide food on the days when it's just not available through normal channels.

Your best bet may be to bring it out step by step. Hey Aunt Suzzie, I am canning up some nice pasta sauce, wanna come over and help me. Hey uncle bob, I am going to the shooting range, wanna hit up some skeet.

Some sort of intervention talk will never go well. For all you know, someone might be stocking up If you don't know it. Another one is to chat about recent events, like hurricane situations, ice storms, etc. Instead of asking them to pack up 10,000 rounds and 2 years of food, get them into trap shooting and to have 2 weeks worth of food.

Another trick is the coffee table. Find some good books, like people who lived through the 1918 flu, or world war II survivors, etc...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Britain suffers from the "Dunkirk spirit" this crazy thought that we can take anything thrown our way, and I too have the same problem of trying to convince close family to be ready for anything.

Sgt Booker is right when talking about how much food is shipped to the UK, likewise the size and scale of supermarkets today mean their logistics dictate that if deliveries are disrupted and panic buying takes place they run out fast.

The sad fact is most people walk around with their head up their backside due to the "Nanny" State we have created, when faced with the comment "We know where to come," My standard reply is "Sure you can camp in the garden and watch us eat if you wish to."

·
angel waiting
4,071 Posts
I fell your plight in trying to get your family/friends etc on board with prepping but from personal experience it will be immpossible if not down right fustrating. I have been trying to get family and friends on board for awhile usually what I get is eye rolling or your paranoid comments so I just quit trying. Now finally my parents are at least thinking it might be a good idea to start storing food and maybe looking into ways to keep the fridge going if the power goes out but that is all I can muster out of any of them, so what I have begun to do is prepare for them. I have begun buying cheap preps just in case and I also have made sure I will have enough bedding/clothes and medical supplies to cover everyone if the shtf. This has been extremely taxing on me and our resources but it wil be more emotionally taxing if the shtf and I don't prepare for them for I would never be able to turn away family or a hungry child.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
I am expecting a few folks to come over when it happens. Highly prefer not, but the misses will absolutely insist.

I have extra food, water, spare rifles, and spare gardening tools for them. Prepping is expensive and tough enough, but may want to plan for it.

Keeping low may be a good idea.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I'm feeling a bit like Noah right now.

UGH! The utter frustration of trying to get the preparedness message through to the sheeple that are your nearest and dearest!

My most recent family member's comment: (after my brother-in-law saw my store room)....

"Totally unnecessary"

Need I say more?

The few other immediate family members who I have told about my hobby have either chuckled politely, or reacted with that extremely patronising;
"Well, we know where to come if things get bad".
I'm sure many here will know just how much that one gets the blood boiling!

When you're trying really hard to provide a heads-up, an "eye's open" moment for the people you really love, it gets quite upsetting to realise the only "eye's open" moment they have chosen to take away with them, is a shift in their opinion about you - to that of;
"he's loosing it" or "nutter" status.

Maybe I'm just saying all the wrong things to them? or maybe I'm saying the right things, just not articulating them well enough? but in the long run, this puts all of my planning in jeopardy.
I don't have the money or the space to store enough supplies to provide for my wider family in the event of TSHTF, but what kind of a monster would I have to become to leave them out in the cold if such an event occured? - I simply wouldn't or couldn't do that.

So if TSHTF, I'll end up taking care of my family, but my supplies are gone in 1/8th of the time I planned on them lasting.

So, right now, I guess my only hope is to try my best to get them on board.

It's really important to understand that over here in the UK - hardly anything "BIG" ever happens.

The last major hurricane we had, somebody lost a chimney pot and a few roof tiles.
We had a twister the year before that, and it made a bus late.
We have 300 earth tremors a year in the UK, -all barely measurable, although one year we had a tremor and somebody's cat fell over.

We did have the fuel blockades several years ago, and for 3 days, all the supermarkets were running a bit low on bread - hardly SHTF territory!

Let's be honest about it, the UK is quite possibly the dullest place on Earth to live insofar as potential for SHTF events - which I guess is a good thing, but it also breeds total complacency. We have nothing here to keep us on our toes.

So how can I reach people (my immediate family) who all seem to be tempered to this level of 'business as usual'?

I can't go to them with tornadoes and earthquakes, fire and ice, or any of that (in their minds) "Hollywood" stuff. It will just reinforce my "nutter" status and push them further out of reach.

I need to come at them with much more realistic, much more feasible and down-to-earth scenarios, tangible truths and realities that might actually stand a chance of getting their attention.

So, the point of this thread is this:

Can anybody help me to build up a list of realistic, feasible preparedness scenarios, that could happen imminently, and are likely to get the attention of my wider family?

Or in other words:
What the hell am I preparing for? and what can I tell others to convince them to do the same?!

Thanks for your contribution in advance :thumb:

Can't you just remind them of what life was like over there during world war 2?

·
Lemming herder!
1,189 Posts
Had the same problem waking up family.
No joy.

Still unsuccessful although my rednecked Dad may be starting to come out of his zombie-sheeple daze slowly.

Rest of the family are all oblivious and mock the hell out of the only other family member that is aware of what is happening and that my Grandfather (whos been thru it all before in the 30's) but unfortunately at 95 years old he's not in much of a state to do anything.

Tried discussing things with my brother - he just ends up getting VERY angry when you challenge the statusquo and ask him questions he can't answer.
He's one of those guys that trott out media-mantra jingoes.

EG, Police being given the power by gov' to conduct warrantless searches and seizsures and to take peoples blood WITHOUT them having been charged of anything; "Thats not a bad thing, its to help protect us from meth dealers and gangs, if you don't have anything to hide you have nothing to fear!"

He's my brother but damn he can be a moron at times.

End of the day, ignore them and do what you know is right.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
I've heard that the book "One Second After" opens up a lot of minds to prepping.

It is a mistake to show them your stores, with all the variety you might have stocked. If you have to help your family in a SHTF situation, package up some rice for them or something, but if they know you've got more to go with it, they'll demand more. Tell them you have eaten it or given most of it away to a food bank so they'll be grateful later when you have just a little to get them by for awhile. In the meantime, I'd move the stores that your brother-in-law saw, because in a SHTF situation, he'll go right to them in order to feed his family at the expense of yours. A SHTF can and will strain many relationships!

Just give it up and store food for a few months for everyone you feel obligated to feed and shut up about it. They'll either start prepping while they can, when they see the news is getting bad, or they won't...you've already planted the seed and that's all you can do. You don't have to set aside 5-course meals for them...just stock rice or beans for a few months for all of the ones you need to and let them complain if they dare. Also gather up more nonhybrid seeds they can plant at their own place when food is getting scarce.

Learn wild edible plants and, when STHF, you can show them some ideas of how to find their own food, along with the little rice you are giving them.

·
Banned
1,893 Posts
Do you have the ability to forward things via email or the like?

I would recommend photos of what happened in New Orleans during Katrina.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Didn't a large group of radical Muslems just march through London? While it might not be PC I'd bring up the threat of riots and food disruptions, Swine Flu? Sometimes prepping starts with little steps. Start with small "threats to the family" Take them shopping and mention or ask "If something were to happen how fast to you think this store would be cleaned out? How would you feed your kids/family? Then mention it doesn't hurt to have a little extra to tide you over. Its hard to disagree with such a statement. For many this is the first step on the road to prepping.

·
Sorry About Your Feelings
20,837 Posts
Be careful who you try to convince.
I know its your family, but as long as they think your an idiot they are more apt to tell someone outside the family which will put you at risk after the collapse of society.

Don't fight it forever, some people are just too far gone. :(

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Hmmmm....well, there are floods. And the aforementioned wars. Plus mad cow, radiation drifts, serious fuel shortages, getting sacked, GMO-contaminated crops, strikes...

Being prepared for emergencies is insurance; even careful drivers have car insurance, even healthy people like having health insurance, and even the most careful person want to ensure that in the unfortunate event of a house fire or whatever, their insurance will cover their loss. Same thing for preparing for emergencies.

Maybe it's just a matter of the scale of preparing and people would understand a shorter time period, like two weeks, rather than a year's worth of supplies?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts