Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in upstate NY, near the capital of Albany (You may have heard ''Troy'' on national news yesterday...), and we got hit pretty well with Irene. Fortunately I'm one of the lucky ones whose home isn't under water, but that's only one of the ''new'' worries I got out of this experience.

I had never thought about our geographical location... We're surrounded by water-ways. The largest being the Hudson and the Mohawk rivers (which are the same body of water). We're completely dependent on bridges. Anybody whose seen the chase scene in ''Salt''... That's how this whole area is (that part of the film was made here).

Anyway, most of people thought that the ''fun'' was over with yesterday, but today is when the real S hits the fan. All except for two (2) bridges that cross the rivers are closed today... And they're about to close those, too. Schenectady is in state of emergency, so no traffic through there. Water has closed down many roadways/towns... Some towns are even underwater.

Being fortunate enough to have no problems at homne, I went to work today (automotive technician). Don't know why... We can't get parts for anything. NAPA, AAP, Autozone are all closed... And forget anything special order. We can't get jack S shipped in. Nobody has power, phone, etc... Not that we have a shortage of food on the grocery store shelves, but food can't come in right now (especially if the locks and dams break).

My girlfriend works on the other side of the river... So right now, even if I wanted to get to her, within an hour or so it would be impossible. Can't swim across, can't boat across, because this thing is moving VERY fast, and there are whole pieces of homes traveling with it. THIS, of all, is very scary... Right now, I know she's safe and she doesn't need me for anything. But I feel quarantined. If the situation (for me) were more dire..... I'm totally defenseless.

I guess a lot of you guys might be saying ''well duh, this is what you prep for''.. But until you see it on a real scale, you don't think about those little things. You always just assume there's a way.

Now I have to come up with a plan on how to overcome this issue should something worse ever happen...

·
Emperor In Exile
11,757 Posts
Now you are actually using your brain........... You really did not prep and you see how bad it is and have an idea of HOW BAD it could have been.......

Do not blow it off after this is over, Get yourself some PREPS and be ready..... By all accounts this is going to be a storm year..... We could see up to 5 hurricanes..... Never know when one is going to mosey up the east coast.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Boost,

This is a perfect bug-in situation if, as you say, you have no serious problems staying in your home for the short term.

You didn't make a mistake. Almost everyone is dependent on bridges...they just don't realize it.

Look at any urban center. Bridges from the large to the tiny over rivers, creeks, gullies, and railroad rights of way interrupt almost every roadway. Then there are the low spots which collect water making even unbridged stretches of roadway impassable.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Now you are actually using your brain........... You really did not prep and you see how bad it is and have an idea of HOW BAD it could have been.......

Do not blow it off after this is over, Get yourself some PREPS and be ready..... By all accounts this is going to be a storm year..... We could see up to 5 hurricanes..... Never know when one is going to mosey up the east coast.
Most definitely. Most of my preps are for collapse of society, invasion, EMP, etc. Cant fight a natural disaster like this with a BOB and an AR.....

Boost,

This is a perfect bug-in situation if, as you say, you have no serious problems staying in your home for the short term

You didn't make a mistake. Almost everyone is dependent on bridges...they just don't realize it.

Look at any urban center. Bridges from the large to the tiny over rivers, creeks, gullies, and railroad rights of way interrupt almost every roadway. Then there are the low spots which collect water making even unbridged stretches of roadway impassable.
Very true. Could have easily been a bugout situation though...

http://www.timesunion.com/default/photo/Jumpin-Jack-s-Drive-In-a-riverside-eatery-that-1561183.php

That picture is of a local picnic/grill restaurant not 10 minutes from my house (just a little bit closer to the river). Cant see much of it now, but it has dozens of picnic tables, the grill building, and an ice-cream building. Behind those buildings is a park with tennis courts, basketball courts, a hockey rink, huge playground, etc. Totally submerged.

·
Bad Moon Rising
8,897 Posts
Might make sense to relocate both you and the GF to one side of the bridge or the other.

Having her in a bad spot and not being able to do anything about it would be seriously depressing......

·
Registered
72 Posts
now that you realize that threat, look for the others as well... there could be worse things than hurricanes :/

but don't feel bad... everyone's gotta realize *sometime*... (one would hope).

·
Prepared Firebird
3,842 Posts
Thank you for posting a REAL update on the hurricane situation. The media seems to be downplaying this like it was just a "nothing" rainstorm........probably because the death toll isn't high enough to rate their usual hysteria.

Sending my thoughts and prayers that you (and others affected by this) will deal with the aftermath and come thru it okay.

·
Registered
6,706 Posts
Boost,

Sorry you are feeling isolated. However, as robkenpo and jane333 wrote: use this experience. Don't beat yourself up over 'not having thought of it beforehand....'

At various points in my life, I've had to say "well, girl, you ******* the pooch this time." But prep and survival are a *mindset*...not a BOB or an AR.

While you wait for things to return to 'normal' (whatever that is...), perhaps you could jot down the "holes" in your preparations. By analyzing how you could do it better/different *next* time, you'll be ahead of 95% of other people in your area.

All the best.

·
UK Prep @ Sharp Survival
754 Posts
i've been speaking to friends and family in the UK about this situation ... even after hearing stories like this is doesnt seem to sink in ... everyone thinks its not going to happen to them ...

glad you came to the same situation as me ... and really start planning escape and evac routes if you need to bug out ... advancage of your geographic location in a SHTF situation would make it easier for your community to control access to your homes ... but always plan for bug out ...

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Boost,

Sorry you are feeling isolated. However, as robkenpo and jane333 wrote: use this experience. Don't beat yourself up over 'not having thought of it beforehand....'

At various points in my life, I've had to say "well, girl, you ******* the pooch this time." But prep and survival are a *mindset*...not a BOB or an AR.

While you wait for things to return to 'normal' (whatever that is...), perhaps you could jot down the "holes" in your preparations. By analyzing how you could do it better/different *next* time, you'll be ahead of 95% of other people in your area.

All the best.
Highlighted for truth.

Will definitely be patching the holes and prepping for this type of scenario we (Upstate NYers) almost never see. I admit I'm one of those who said ''natural disasters wont affect me here''. Obviously, they can...

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
I've always thought that I wouldn't be affected by flooding, since we have just a small river, and since my house is at a sufficiently high elevation above it. About a year ago, however, it flooded and cut the town in two. The bridges looked OK to me, but the National Guard said no.

The food stores are across.

Fortunately, I had wheels and there are other towns.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've always thought that I wouldn't be affected by flooding, since we have just a small river, and since my house is at a sufficiently high elevation above it. About a year ago, however, it flooded and cut the town in two. The bridges looked OK to me, but the National Guard said no.

The food stores are across.

Fortunately, I had wheels and there are other towns.
Sounds like you got lucky, just like me.

·
Registered
762 Posts
It's been said before that you can't prep for every scenario, but prep for the basics and for what is most likely in your area. Sounds like you did that and Irene just put a new perspective on the basics. You did fine and now just need to tweak what's already in place. Nice job and thanks for sharing so the rest of us can benefit.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
With all this in mind are you now thinking about moving to a new location after all is said and done?
Honestly, no. Not at the moment anyhow. What has changed though, is considering jobs (whether it be mine or my girlfriends) that are on the same side of the river (preferably the side my home is on), food and water preps, and my BOL. My BOL (which I have given some serious thought about) is now relocated to an undisclosed area of the Adirondack mountains, just north of me. There are some extremely secluded areas... Some areas that have but two entrences, and some areas that are truly flood-proof. Literally millions of acres of places to choose from.

Only a few people in my area are aware that there are already many survivalists in those mountains. Back in the cold war, the United States Government housed nuclear missiles in those mountains in underground bunkers. Those bunkers, since, have been abandoned (and disarmed), and people baught out the properties to build BOL's.

One guy actually has his house built ontop of the entrence to one of these bunkers. Underneath is..... Who knows what... But I bet you anything it's one hell of a setup.

My new BOL isn't quite as elaborate, but it's going to suit my needs far more than my old BOL, which again was based soley on threats involving a human enemy.

My thoughts and plans have changed, trust me, but for now my home will remain where it is, in the suburbs.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts