Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's true that, theoretically, anything could happen tomorrow. The Earth could be hit by a giant asteroid, there could be a massive surprise Russian nuclear attack, we could be invaded by aliens, etc. But being realistic, what kinds of disasters do you think could happen in America that would require us to use the survivalist knowledge present on this website? Here are my thoughts:

-Major natural disaster (another Katrina or "the big one" hits L.A.) hits your city.
-Obama gets elected president and then gets assassinated, leading to riots everywhere.
-A deadly disease goes pandemic, causing major panic, looting, chaos
-A terrorist nuclear or biological attack happens in your city, with long-lasting repercussions for the entire region

Am I leaving out any more realistic scenarios?

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I have always believed that it would take two. With the latest and greatest from the economy making up one. Can you imagine what a EMP attack would do to us. China,Russia could make it official with one punch

·
Registered
18,822 Posts
It's true that, theoretically, anything could happen tomorrow. The Earth could be hit by a giant asteroid, there could be a massive surprise Russian nuclear attack, we could be invaded by aliens, etc. But being realistic, what kinds of disasters do you think could happen in America that would require us to use the survivalist knowledge present on this website? Here are my thoughts:

-Major natural disaster (another Katrina or "the big one" hits L.A.) hits your city.
-Obama gets elected president and then gets assassinated, leading to riots everywhere.
-A terrorist nuclear or biological attack happens in your city, with long-lasting repercussions for the entire region

I would respectfully suggest that you are omitting [unintentionally] the possible effects wrought by the present economic turmoil which is affecting not 'merely' this country, but the world.

·
Registered
18,822 Posts
A great depression is on the top of my list.
Bob, here's your paycheck. Sorry the banks are closed and our payroll account was wiped out. On Monday , dont bother coming to work as we lost all our contracts and our trucks are out of fuel. Good luck and have a nice day ......Alaskan

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have always believed that it would take two. With the latest and greatest from the economy making up one. Can you imagine what a EMP attack would do to us. China,Russia could make it official with one punch
We have a survivable nuclear arsenal and would be able to massively retaliate in such an event. Russia and China may not always like us, but they aren't suicidal. I don't see an EMP attack happening anytime soon.

·
Registered
510 Posts
OK, economic crisis is a possibility. Anything else?

Obama not elected...mass riots. It is a possibility but probably wouldn't last that long or be a danger to anyone but city people.

Coordinated terrorist attacks at key targets, don't have to be nuclear, that could muck us up. Think multiple 9/11 sized attacks in various cities. It could shut the country down, especially if the financial crisis gets worse.

New disease is always a possibility.

Right now the biggest risk is probably an economic meltdown, even though the stocks are surging today.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
We have a survivable nuclear arsenal and would be able to massively retaliate in such an event. Russia and China may not always like us, but they aren't suicidal. I don't see an EMP attack happening anytime soon.

Proyas, I agree that it would be stupid for such a thing to happen. However have you ever heard the phrase " kick them when there down"

·
Registered
18,822 Posts
Proyas, I agree that it would be stupid for such a thing to happen. However have you ever heard the phrase " kick them when there down"
Along the same lines on my thinking, but with terrorists instead of countries. Maybe somebody slipped a tinfoil hat on me without me noticing, but wouldn't it be a terrible time for the US to be attacked by terrorists? I mean really, think about how much that would make the US economy suck. Even more so than it does now.

·
Registered
34,329 Posts

Yes you are.

Here's one. I havn't been paid since May 12...

Good thing I don't do debt, save $, and know how to live cheaply hua?

You loose your job, have medical bills etc... you can eat your stored food.

Hurricanes, Icestorms, or other weather.... Your preperations pay off.

You are the victem of an attempted robery... I say attempted b/c you learned to defend yourself and fought him off.

You are burglerised... the list of serial numbers (Not just phones, but cameras etc) is safe b/c you keep it in severa llocations along with pics...
Works not only for your insurrance claim, but also for the cops.

Your car breaks down... you have tools in the trunk (Or AAA)

Your clothing gets wet/paint splattered/covered in ____
You have several sets in a bag in the back...

Gas/credit shortages/pannic causes a run on_____ (Your favorate soup, TP, whatever)... you have plenty put back.

...It's not the TEOTWAWKI... it's the daily SHTF...

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think the phrase "mutually assured destruction" is going to weigh more heavily in the minds of any foreign leaders contemplating a nuclear/EMP strike on the U.S.

·
STALKER Unit Mobile
183 Posts
Taliban retaliation on our soul, Russian or Chinese attack, one that is threatening soon in my mind is another American revolution, biological attack, also economical troubles leading to people breaking into riots and also looting breaking loose turning into anarchy

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Along the same lines on my thinking, but with terrorists instead of countries. Maybe somebody slipped a tinfoil hat on me without me noticing, but wouldn't it be a terrible time for the US to be attacked by terrorists? I mean really, think about how much that would make the US economy suck. Even more so than it does now.
Well, keep in mind there is never a GOOD time to be attacked by terrorists.

Secondly, the original subject was an EMP attack. EMP requires high altitude nuclear explosions. Terrorists currently lack the ability to launch nuclear missiles high over the U.S., hence this is not a realistic threat.

But don't worry, there are plenty of other ways we could go down the crapper!

·
Registered
60 Posts
EMP requires high altitude nuclear explosions.
Actually, no nuclear device is required as I understand it. It's a fairly basic concept to build an "E-bomb."

I read somewhere that one could be made for less than $400. I don't know the veracity of this or how large an area such a thing could effect. But it does seem to be a possibility.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Obama gets elected - Celebratory riots in every major city.

Obama doesn't get elected - Anger riots in every major city.

I doubt they'll last more than a couple of days, but my advice: Don't be out and about in any city on election night.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts