Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any tips on where to get the best prices on real spam and corned beef?
I want to have some on hand in 'pantry' for 'special' breakfasts (with fryed taters and eggs) which my usual will be oatmeal.

·
Capability, not scenarios
11,888 Posts
The best price I've found on Spam is at Sam's Club.

Reactions: MikeK

·
Registered
33,243 Posts
Yeah, Sam's in the (4) pack is the best price I have found.

My Sams don't have the "Spam Bacon" so I get that at WalllyMart. I usually buy the Spam lite (lower on sodium) or the spam bacon

·
Mountain William
736 Posts
Spam or roadkill? Spam or roadkill? Decisions, decisions.
Seriously, check Big Lots, Dollar General, etc. They occasionally come across "lots" with a pretty good discount.

·
drive a stake thru Islam
1,005 Posts
Whats wrong with Armour brand Treet? to me it tastes just like Spam if not better, and with Spam hitting 2.75 a can or more I can buy the Treet from Big Lots for 1.15, same size can.

·
Registered
9,106 Posts
You better explain what you call corned beef, as its not the same in the Uk. Here is a tinned meat very much like spam, comes from Argentina and last a good 10 years or more. Its more tasty then spam, and yes Iv got a few tins of the stuff.

·
Cranky Old Guy
433 Posts
You better explain what you call corned beef, as its not the same in the Uk. Here is a tinned meat very much like spam, comes from Argentina and last a good 10 years or more. Its more tasty then spam, and yes Iv got a few tins of the stuff.
I think our (US) corned beef is more like your (UK) bully beef?

I prefer Spam, but corn beef is a good change of pace for me. I stock a few cans.

Added: There are actually several types of corned beef here with different contents. Pictured is corn edbeef hash which is what I stock.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...qI6Ts-VN8js0gG4j_XbAw&ved=0CHsQ9QEwCQ&dur=187

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
Whats wrong with Armour brand Treet? to me it tastes just like Spam if not better, and with Spam hitting 2.75 a can or more I can buy the Treet from Big Lots for 1.15, same size can.
Treet is ok but the store brands suck, Aldi's has no taste, I'd rather eat lard.

For the canned corned beef Aldis brand is very good and so is HyVee's brand and a lot cheaper than the named brands

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
there's an Aldi in A-ville I'll check there for the corned beef.
would rather have spam - is'nt treet made with turkey or some such?

·
Mountain William
736 Posts
Treet is ok but the store brands suck, Aldi's has no taste, I'd rather eat lard.

For the canned corned beef Aldis brand is very good and so is HyVee's brand and a lot cheaper than the named brands
That's the problem with store brands. It's hit & miss. (On flavor)

Some are good, some are ok, and some royally suck. But you don't know until you try it. Haven't EVER found a good stroe brand pop tart.

·
Mountain William
736 Posts
there's an Aldi in A-ville I'll check there for the corned beef.
would rather have spam - is'nt treet made with turkey or some such?
From Wiki:
Treet is a canned meat product, similar to Spam, that is marketed by Pinnacle Foods' Armour Star subsidiary in the USA. Treet is made with chicken and pork.

From Wiki:
Spam (officially trademarked as SPAM) is a canned precooked meat product made by the Hormel Foods Corporation. The labeled ingredients in the classic variety of Spam are chopped pork shoulder meat, with ham meat added, salt, water, modified potato starch as a binder, and sodium nitrite as a preservative. Spam's gelatinous glaze, or aspic, forms from the cooling of meat stock.[1] The product has become part of many jokes and urban legends about mystery meat, which has made it part of pop culture and folklore.[2]
Varieties of Spam include Spam Classic, Spam Hot & Spicy, Spam Less Sodium, Spam Lite, Spam Oven Roasted Turkey, Hickory Smoked, Spam with real Hormel Bacon, Spam with Cheese, Spam Black Pepper, Spam Garlic, and Spam Spread.[3] Availability of these varieties varies regionally.
Spam that is sold in North America, South America, and Australia is produced in Austin, Minnesota, (also known as Spam Town USA) and in Fremont, Nebraska. Spam for the UK market is produced in Denmark by Tulip under license from Hormel.[4] In 2007, the seven billionth can of Spam was sold.[5] On average, 3.8 cans are consumed every second in the United States.[6]

My question: Who the h*ll is eating that much Spam?

Spam: Slightly Pickled *ss Meat.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,415 Posts
The best price I've found on Spam is at Sam's Club.
Same here, though not by much. It's still pricey there. Hormel seems to think their low grade canned meats are somehow premium and charge accordingly.

As for corned beef, Dollar General seems to have the lowest price. I'd check any of the dollar type stores that sell canned goods. Sometimes they have the best price on them, sometimes not.

·
67,415 Posts
It depends on your preferences I guess. I bought some Treet thinking it was just generic Spam for less money. But I thought it was absolutely disgusting in comparison, and I don't particularly like Spam. I would be ashamed to hand Treet out to starving refugees. For anyone considering Treet, taste it before investing in it. You might not like it.

·
Registered
33,243 Posts
It depends on your preferences I guess. I bought some Treet thinking it was just generic Spam for less money. But I thought it was absolutely disgusting in comparison, and I don't particularly like Spam. I would be ashamed to hand Treet out to starving refugees. For anyone considering Treet, taste it before investing in it. You might not like it.
Yeah...I tried that stuff too :xeye:

I'm not a huge fan of spam in the first place but the discount versions are really bad.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Tulip (Denmark) also makes Corned Beef. I always keep a dozen cans of that stuff around, it's great to knock your soup up a notch, BAM!

I also have a few dozen cans of Spam from Tulip. Fried in a pan it's great on white bread with mustard. I could eat it every day. If it's unhealthy to someone, he needs to change his lifestyle. Food has no influence on your cholesterol. Exercise does. A monotonous diet, too.

·
goin' round and round
740 Posts
By me, in Pa and north NJ, there is a store chain called Shop Rite. They run Spam, all flavors, on sale for a week once every two to three months.
They limit to four offers per check out per flavor, so if the offer is 2 for $4, you can get 8 cans, of each flavor.
Normally they have the lowest price in the area.
I have no idea if they are in your area.

·
Cat Person
1,374 Posts
I love corned beef sandwiches. But then, I'm nearly 100% Irish descendant, how could I not? I have to admit though, as a comfort food, fried SPAM and Velveeta is awesome every now and then...

BTW, I've noticed that in the last 6 months it's actually a challenge to find corned beef cans on shelves! Any reason for this?

Also, a can of corned beef or similar meat was the centerpiece of World War I reserve or "iron" rations, carried by nearly every Allied soldier, including American ones (I believe the French provided them to us).

·
67,415 Posts
I love real corned beef too. But the canned stuff is an insult to corned beef. They should be forced to change the name to "simulated corned beef product" or something. It's NOT corned beef. I like it way better than Spam though.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
after the shtf cabbage is likely going to be one of the most easily obtained veggies.
a simmered pot of corned beef and cabbage with chopped carrot, coarse ground black pepper and onion added with cornbread is a very satisfying and nutritious meal.
also a can of corned beef goes a long way when made into hash with stewed taters, that's my favorite tater dish for breakfast that is.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts