Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Different things to different people. I have an ideal 83 acre retreat that I am trying to sell because I live on three acres at the edge of town near my kids that I intend to stay on.
If I make any serious preparations it will be to get a couple of milk goats, some rabbits and a few chickens.

I have close neighbors and none of them are nuts, well most of them aren't and we cooperate in watching each others places when we are gone and help each other.

We already live a pretty simple life and really enjoy it. I don't watch TV, read the papers or listen to the radio. I am on the internet so I can be selective in what I learn about.

Lots of folks go wild with weapons acquisitions. I much prefer a 22 rifle and 22 pistol and a 12 or 20 gauge shotgun. You can buy and store LOTS of 22 ammo and do lots of practicing with them as well, especially with the pistol. If I were to expand that list it would be with a 223 varmint rifle and maybe a Ruger mini 14. I don't think anyone can shoot an automatic weapon with accuracy and most folks don't realize with the rate of fire of an auto that they will be out of ammo in about 3 seconds. Life ain't like the movies. I grew up hunting with a 22 single shot and never considered myself handicapped and still don't.

·
AKA The Dragon
2,818 Posts
We live in a rural area and will bug in, however as a last resort we have a BOL some distance away. Have found and routinely use the back roads in all conditions when we go there for a bit of R and R, practice survival skills.
I am legally armed, but don't make a big deal of it, they are for defence and game hunting.
What I have got suites my requirements. I am no Rambo, but from my own experiences, it takes a lot of skill to use an automatic weapon efficiently.
Apart from veterans, law enforcment and triage medical staff, not many people know or realise what a bullet can do to the human body.
Some survivalist rambo's watch too many movies and would literally kack their daks in a fire fight.
It is something I would avoid and hope to never take another human life.
That is my safety catch.

Reactions: Smudge

·
Getting Ready
1,025 Posts
you two are far more prepped than I am. if anything happened in the next few weeks id be screwed. I have a few gallons of water and two weeks of food, ab out 200 rounds of various ammo (.223, .30 carbine, 12ga, ,22) and no gas in my car.

you guys are gravy compared to me.

I need to graduate college and get a real damn job and a house to start some real preping.

T

·
Happiness is 2 at low 8
1,403 Posts
...Lots of folks go wild with weapons acquisitions. I much prefer a 22 rifle and 22 pistol and a 12 or 20 gauge shotgun. You can buy and store LOTS of 22 ammo and do lots of practicing with them as well, especially with the pistol. If I were to expand that list it would be with a 223 varmint rifle and maybe a Ruger mini 14. I don't think anyone can shoot an automatic weapon with accuracy and most folks don't realize with the rate of fire of an auto that they will be out of ammo in about 3 seconds...
Good choices in guns, though something heavier than a .223 might be in order.

Regarding the comment about automatic weapons, I'm in here a lot and cannot recall any thread talking about "auto" weapons, everything is semi-auto (one trigger pull, one shot). There is no Class III discussion at all, which does not surprise me as most in here want to fly under the radar and going thru the paperwork of getting a Class III (full auto) ticket is definitely NOT low profile...

There's a lot of discussion about the "AK" this and "AR" that, but the guns they reference are all semi-auto variations of the true "AK47" (which has full auto capability.)

Allan -- that $200 tax stamp required for a full auto gun will buy lots of ammo

·
Adaptable.
1,978 Posts
I have almost every firearm I need. A 22 for small game, a 20ga for birds, and a 30/06 for bears that try to come inside or cougars going for my goats. The only thing else I want is a largish handgun to carry when I have to head upbto the water tanks after dark, one friend already met the lion up there, and it is impractical to sling two toolbags and a long rifle.

Again, different circumstances warrent different tools. I doubt many urban survivalists need a rototiller or a backhoe. Just as I don't need a hundred gallons of bottled water, or an assault rifle.

There is a phrase I picked up from the backpacking community; hike your own hike. I keep it in mind often, usually when disagreeing with some ones politics at work. :)

-G

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.