Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've found information on pretty much all covering made from real fur and real animal parts on the internet that cover every thing...except the face.~

I'm wondering why don't you ever read about any information of see any thing about natives of winter climates wearing coverings for their entire face, neck and head made from fur or of animal parts just like the rest of their clothing?~

From an article I just read here: http://www.urmc.rochester.edu/encyclopedia/content.aspx?ContentTypeID=1&ContentID=696 ,
you lose body heat from ANY part of your body THAT IS NOT COVERED!~

Real animal fur is the best insulator for winter clothing, no substitute.~

I need to cover my entire body including the face if I truly want to have the natural warmth that real fur and a real animal hide provides.~

I'm looking for some thing that is made from real fur a real animal hide that covers every thing from the neck up except TWO HOLES FOR EACH EYE, I plan on wearing snow or "warm" goggles over that.~

Ever hear of some thing like that?~

And if you have better suggestions for the eyes, go ahead.~

·
Registered
425 Posts
I'd probably look strange in a deer skin with hair, and it would be tough to balance my head with the horns attached. But, i guess i could use a doe skin/head. :] Now a good full bear hide would be great. Seriously, i use a good quality ski mask with goggles, it retains the heat, and protects your face and eyes.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd probably look strange in a deer skin with hair, and it would be tough to balance my head with the horns attached. But, i guess i could use a doe skin/head. :] Now a good full bear hide would be great. Seriously, i use a good quality ski mask with goggles, it retains the heat, and protects your face and eyes.
No substitute for actual fur.~ ^_^

This is just until I am allowed to grow out my fur after my service in the Navy is over.~ :)

·
Registered
152 Posts
Real animal fur is the best insulator for winter clothing, no substitute.
I disagree with this. I won't derail your thread with my head covering but I have to cool off a little if I'm doing any kind of moving. If I'm idle, it's perfect..no matter how cold I've ever been in. If there's something better, I don't think I want it.

However, to answer your question, I've never seen anything made from fur out there buy. I'm thinking you're going to have to make it youself.

I think that if you made something that had just one opening for the eyes, goggles would work very well.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I disagree with this. I won't derail your thread with my head covering but I have to cool off a little if I'm doing any kind of moving. If I'm idle, it's perfect..no matter how cold I've ever been in. If there's something better, I don't think I want it.

However, to answer your question, I've never seen anything made from fur out there buy. I'm thinking you're going to have to make it youself.

I think that if you made something that had just one opening for the eyes, goggles would work very well.
Thank you very much!~ ^_^ I thought as much!~ :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The problem is I have idea what I'm doing when it comes to making any kind of clothing.~

I'd be willing to buy a head covering with 2 hole for eyes, but I don't like the thin-looking appearance of most of them and the giant hole where the eyes are.~

I prefer thick real fur that also looks the part to and is actually thick, not woven fleece to give the appearance of a lower-quality covering.~ :/

·
Kibitzer
6,631 Posts
Wouldn't all that heat from two holes fog up your goggles big time?
You would need some vent for breathing.

Gore tex would be best, ice would build up on outside of most masks?
Some have special pre heat panel for breathing in cold/icy air.

I always hated goggles fogging up.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wouldn't all that heat from two holes fog up your goggles big time?
You would need some vent for breathing.

Gore tex would be best, ice would build up on outside of most masks?
Some have special pre heat panel for breathing in cold/icy air.

I always hated goggles fogging up.
Very excellent point, I didn't think about that!~ ^_^

Please explain in more detail, I would love to hear more about these kinds of things!~ :D

I'm kind of puzzled as to what to do for the eyes, many other animals have many layers for their eyes more than Humans do, how would I simulate that effectively?~

·
Registered
5,236 Posts

Seriously though...

Full face balaclava. I have versions made from both heavyweight felt-like wool and synthetic. Wool has eyes/bridge of nose cutout only. Synthetic has mouth hole as well. Both work. Add ski goggles.

Arctic Circle Natives historically used fur ruffed hoods drawn tight combined with parka necks that could be closed over chins. Plus animal fat coating remaining exposed skin. Plus woven hats with flaps (Scandinavians). Just no need for full fur facial covering.

·
Registered
11,673 Posts
This is the best Balaclava that I have found, works great under a hardhat when working in single digits. Fleece lined with neoprene exterior, super comfortable and extremely warm.

Seirus Ultra Clava

·
Registered
267 Posts
i've worked in very cold temps and don't feel like i would need what you're talking about unless i was staying dead still for hours on end. i start sweating badly when i have a bunch of insulation on my neck/head and have to move around, also you can't hear or see as effectively.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is the best Balaclava that I have found, works great under a hardhat when working in single digits. Fleece lined with neoprene exterior, super comfortable and extremely warm.

Seirus Ultra Clava

http://www.amazon.com/Seirus-Innovation-Mens-Ultra-Clava/dp/B0018BCCAQ/ref=cts_ap_1_fbt
Yeah but it looks like there is a HUGE HOLE where the eyes usually are located and that's a big NO as that's a HUGE exposure area where heat can escape.~

Think of it this way: can you stay warm without a fire ever being used?~

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Seriously though...

Full face balaclava. I have versions made from both heavyweight felt-like wool and synthetic. Wool has eye cutout only. Synthetic has mouth hole as well. Both work. Add ski goggles.

Arctic Circle Natives historically used fur ruffed hoods drawn tight combined with parka necks that could be closed over chins. Plus animal fat coating remaining exposed skin. Plus woven hats with flaps (Scandinavians). Just no need for full fur facial covering.

Thanks for the information!~ ^_^

I'm looking for some thing that is made from real fur animal hide and that actually would give me a big furry beast-like appearance when I cover myself with it from head to toe, basically the only part of me not covered by this full fur animal hide suit would be two eyes holes for my eyes, maybe sewn-in goggles that look like tiny bug eyes that won't fog up or I could wear some kind of of tiny bug eye goggles that won't fog up?~

The suit can also come apart in like 3 layers bottom, middle and top but it would by no means be a FAKE costume it'd be a REAL fur animal hide shaped to fit a man and would keep me warm even below -40 with no fire-like heat source in Arctic Circles while giving me the camouflage of being a wild animal.~

Perhaps a Buffalo hide or a Polar Bear hide?~

I'm dead serious here.~

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
Yeah but it looks like there is a HUGE HOLE where the eyes usually are located and that's a big NO as that's a HUGE exposure area where heat can escape.~
Actually, it's not. Maybe in some off-planet environment, but not here on Earth. Any normal ski mask or cold weather balaclava will suffice and you just add goggles in the face of hard wind, blown snow, and bright sun. I've spent a fair amount of time in serious cold climate and never needed more than that (not including lofted parka hood or climbing/ski helmet).

I think you are over-thinking the threat a bit.

Google pictures of folks in the Arctic, Antarctic, Lapland, Alaska, Inuits, Eskimos, etc. for an idea of what works in places where folks live in those temps.

·
Registered
11,673 Posts

Think of it this way: can you stay warm without a fire ever being used?~

This head covering is skin tight, that huge hole is perfect for a nice set of goggles, YMMV, but I have worn this thing for months on end and the comfort/warmth factor is second to none. I prefer to wear the "nosepiece" section over my chin, it is more comfortable for me that way. :thumb:

·
Registered
11,673 Posts
Thanks for the information!~ ^_^

I'm looking for some thing that is made from real fur animal hide and that actually would give me a big furry beast-like appearance when I cover myself with it from head to toe, basically the only part of me not cover by this full fur animal hide suit would be two eyes holes for my eyes, maybe sewn-in goggles that look like tiny bug eyes that won't fog up or I could wear some kind of of tiny bug eye goggles that won't fog up?~

The suit can also come apart in like 3 layers bottom, middle and top but it would by no means be a FAKE costume it'd be a REAL fur animal hide shaped to fit a man and would keep me warm even below -40 with no fire-like heat source in Arctic Circles while giving me the camouflage of being a wild animal.~

Perhaps a Buffalo hide or a Polar Bear hide?~

I'm dead serious here.~
You would also make a great target for a hungry hunter :D:

1 - 20 of 50 Posts