Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Earthwalker.
10,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I didn't know were to post this so here is as good as any.

Here is a real fire steel that i forged today,for those of you that have not seen one this is forged and hardened carbon steel that is not tempered,it is use with flint and charcloth to start fires.

Its about 2" by 1 3/4"

the reason it is not tempered is that tempered steel does not strike a spark as easy as un-tempered steel.

It works by striking it on flint on to charcloth then you take the smoldering charcloth and add it to a tinder ball,then you blow on it until you get a flame,sounds simple but its not:xeye:

So know ive just got to make some charcloth and head on up to the fields to get some flint.

Ill let you know how it goes.:xeye::D:

Attachments

·
Earthwalker.
10,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ohhhh how much for one with flint ?????
Give me a chance Pug its the first one ive made,:xeye:Ill be making a lot of these after Christmas as i have my hands full at the moment with other jobs.:thumb:

·
Good Bye
1,808 Posts
Neat Sticks, whats char cloth and how is it made?
Char cloth is made by taking cloth, and heating it while depriving it of the oxygen needed for combustion. You can put little squares of denim in an Altoids tin, and punch a single hole in the top. Then, cook it on the edge of a fire. The cloth will turn black, and it's done. It catches a spark very well, and smolders for some time. It's a way to make tinder.

·
Earthwalker.
10,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Neat Sticks, whats char cloth and how is it made?
Charcloth is cotton material that is put in an air tight container with a hole in the top,you heat the container up and when smoke starts to come out of the hole you put a match stick in the hole so the cloth does not catch on fire,you cut the air to it,you leave it for a few mins and then take it off the fire let it cool and you should have burnt cloth that will take a spark and as i said above you add the smoldering char cloth to a tinder ball and blow until it it takes a flame.

Its like making charcoal but with cloth,old jeans work as does silk.

·
Earthwalker.
10,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Char cloth is made by taking cloth, and heating it while depriving it of the oxygen needed for combustion. You can put little squares of denim in an Altoids tin, and punch a single hole in the top. Then, cook it on the edge of a fire. The cloth will turn black, and it's done. It catches a spark very well, and smolders for some time. It's a way to make tinder.
You just beat me to it,and you put it better.:thumb:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts