Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I scored numerous 5 gallon, 3 gallon and 2 gallon plastic buckets from the Wal-Mart bakery. They also provided me with the corresponding lids. The 5 gallon and 2 gallon lids have the rubber gasket and appear to be re-sealable. The question is: Should I attempt to reuse these lids (after a thorough cleaning) or just buy new lids? Any responses welcome.

·
Capability, not scenarios
11,960 Posts
I would be using Mylar and O2 absorbers. Consequently, I'd use the old lids. You don't need a perfect hermetic seal if the food inside is in mylar. You simply need to keep bugs out.

Reactions: grandma and 9111315

·
Premium Member
1,823 Posts
Some can be re-sealed and others can't. It depends on the type you have and what you're storing in it. Along with HOW you're storing it.

If I were using them to store dry goods in mylar bags I'd buy NEW lids because if I'm going to the effort and expense of mylar and o2 absorbers it would mean I was shooting for long term storage.... possibly 10-20 years.

If I were using them to store dry goods intended for use in under 5 years judge accordingly. Rice will store better in a re-sealed bucket than flour.

And obviously anything you intend to USE periodically does not need a new lid every time you open it. And non perishable items/ non food items won't be as imperative as your edibles and medical.

I've found for most practical uses other than long term (10+ years) food storage re-using the lids works just fine on most bakery buckets.

·
Premium Member
1,823 Posts
If you want to test the seals out sprinkle some koolaid powder in the dry bucket, lid it, and hose it down. Wipe the bucket off and open to see if your koolaid looks pretty. If it's still powder you've got a good, dry bucket.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would be using mylar bags and O2 absorbers. I appreciate and will utilize the kool-aid suggestion. I will commend the people at Wal-MArt. They were very nice and gracious in giving me the buckets.

·
Registered
549 Posts
As long as you put the food in mylar, it won't matter.

But - - - if you also want to ensure a good seal, I would suggest you put a little bit of rubber gasket lube on it. The CHEAPEST place I have found to get a tube of this stuff is any local pool supply store. A lot of pool equipment has rubber gaskets. To keep them plyable and to make a good seal, there are numerous brands of lubricant/sealant for these rubber gaskets. I have a tube called Magik Lube, another called Lube Tube, etc. A LITTLE goes a long way. I use some q-tip type swabs with 6" sticks that I use when cleaning my guns, and I apply just a dab of this lube/sealant on the swab. I run it around the gasket 4 or 5 times and then take a cloth and wipe away any excess that got on the plastic. The gasket is kind of recessed, so you can't just get your finger up there - - at least I can't - - you have to use something else.

I only use this process on used lids as I don't know how they have been kept and whether the rubber has been kep from the weather. For new lids I have bought, I just put them on without this lube/sealant, although I guess it would help to keep them viable forever.

·
Registered
47 Posts
good idea on the lube for the used lids. i have several used buckets/lids i've picked up from the local bakery but i havent used any of them yet so i'll def. use the lube method.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,539 Posts
I wouldn't worry about reusing the gasketed lids. They have only been opened once. If they're in good condition, they will reseal. I find that they can be reused and resealed a number of times before they stop sealing. Since you're using mylar and O2 absorbers, it's not critical anyway.

As for the lube, that's a great idea. If you have a Berkey or monolithic filter system, it's wise to get some food grade silicone lube for the filter gaskets anyway. So you can also use this on the lid gaskets.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts