Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
OBAMA Sucks Smokin Weed
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey did you guys see the new red scorpion six Raven WSK and companion ESK?

The RAVEN WSK is the large one and the ESK is the small one. I had one of the Predator WSK's and sold it here on the site. That one is made out of 440 Stainless steel. It was great but I am huge fan of the high carbon steel. guess I am more traditionalist in that manner.

The design is really intriguing to me. I have one on order and can't wait until October to get it. They are carbon steel WSK design with Black Oxide finish. Does anyone else have one on order?

Any fellow WSK fans?

Here are the pics from their website.

·
Pisticus Veritas
Very Prepared!!
53,788 Posts

·
OBAMA Sucks Smokin Weed
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had the TOPS Tracker and took a chance on the Predator when it came out. The Tracker was a bit clunky compared to the balance of the Predator. That was impressive. But being a fan of the carbon steel it was hard to part with the tracker. Now that the RAVEN is on the way I am thrilled. I hope it will have the same balance as the Predator does.

I do wish it had a user manual like the TOPS does to show all the functionality.

:thumb:

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
It seems the Predator is more in line with the original design by Dave Beck.As for sharpening I can get the job done in no time. The fillet blade is very easy to get a nice edge on with its shape. The quarter round will take some time to get right however.

It is a design you have to love or hate it seems.

·
Registered
798 Posts
A bit pricey but a nice quality knife. My main concern would be sharpening the odd contour. It can be done with the right tools. I do like the knife and believe that Tops makes one very similar.

Tops' version:
[URL="http://www.dantesknife.com/images/TPTBT-010.jpg"][/URL]

This is my latest knife from Tops:

I bought mine from Dante's Knife Works:
http://www.dantesknife.com/index.html

Wow. That TOPS you have is dang near a purfect knife. Really nice man.:thumb:

·
Pisticus Veritas
Very Prepared!!
53,788 Posts
It seems the Predator is more in line with the original design by Dave Beck.As for sharpening I can get the job done in no time. The fillet blade is very easy to get a nice edge on with its shape. The quarter round will take some time to get right however.

It is a design you have to love or hate it seems.
Well I collect knives so I love almost all of them and this design MUST make it into my collection sooner or later. I really do think it's a cool design. Here's part of my knife collection if you're interested:

http://www.survivalistboards.com/album.php?albumid=39

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Nice collection Action! Ill get mine up sometime soon. I only seem to keep blades I use so I have a small but nice one.

As for the wsk knife. Yeah it looks cool which takes away from its value sometimes. People knock it for being flashy and not functional, however once you get to using it then you see the value in its design no doubt.

·
OBAMA Sucks Smokin Weed
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have friends that got the Tom Brown Tracker but they were not happy with it until they had a knife maker redo the grinds and reprofile the thing. After they did that was funny that it looked just like my Predator WSK. Except they paid $250 for knife and $200 for reprofile to get what they could have purchsed to begin with.

I thought that was a bit silly but they got a celebrity name on a knife lol.

I am excited about this new one. I am trying to get my friend to do a head to head competition with the Raven WSK and his TBjr TOPS Tracker.

This way it will say which is better.

·
Modern Day Nessmuk
483 Posts
In my opinion that tool is a "Jack of all trades, master of none" bit. I suppose in the future my mind may change on that type of blade, but currently I'm real big into axes. I'm an adirondacker, and I think all theese classic outdoorsmen knew what they were doing when they picked up a small, thin blade for skinning, foodprep and whatnot, and an axe fit to their needs to cut timber, toss up a shelter, all that junk. I'm more of a classic gear user, though there are exceptions (I'm a sucker for spyderco knives, aswell as a few of the modern kershaw folders) That knife looks like it would work in the wilds, but it is not my cup of tea. I'll stick to my axe, a good fixed blade knife (Mora #2 Carbon currently) and a nice folder, either a slipjoint that my great-uncle used in the woods (Older than me, and my dad put together...!) or a buck 110...!

·
Banned
23 Posts
Hello. I know I've never posted here before, but I found this thread while looking for a place to sell my Red Scorpion Six Predator WSK.

I own a Beck Tracker and a Horan WSK as well. Let me tell you something I found out, RSS cost on their WSK is under $24.00. No BS. It is junk. I feel so stupid for buying one, and now I have to sell it to try and get back some of the money I wasted on it. No offense intended to anyone who bought one, I thought it was great till I used it.

Tim Horan is a friend of Dave's and hand makes knives to Dave's standards. It is as close to Dave's as you can get and one hell of a tool.

I do not work for Tim, I don't make a dime if you buy his knives. I am posting this because I know how badly I wanted this type of knife, and I want others to enjoy it too. They don't cost much more than RSS Predator and there is NO comparison. If you want cheap chinese junk, the Predator is for you.

You want a real tool you can be proud of and hand down to your kid, get a Horan WSK. You won't regret it.

Also, for anyone who just has to have a Red Scorpion Six Predator, I will be auctioning it off on ebay with no reserve, starting bid .99 cents and you are welcome to it!

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I know Tim Horan also. We traded some steel and talk often. He is also friends with the owner of Red Scorpion Six. I think your analogy is premeditated with some sort of purpose. I am sure you are one of those morons who gave him a hard time on Bladeforums. I don't know him personally but he has always given me great customer service and I am more than happy with my purchases from him. Tim Horan makes excellent knives but most people can not afford to spend $900 on one knife. So they have another option to buy a production run of Red Scorpion Six's wsk knife and save a ton of cash.

You also must be referring to those Predator knock offs that were shown in the back of Blade magazine, which turned out to be super cheapos and not the Rs6 product and were pulled from advertising.

·
OBAMA Sucks Smokin Weed
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I will bid on it. Put the link up. My Predator WSK has been great. There was a company out of China making a knock off out of 420 steel. That advertised in Blade magazine a while back. I had a bud buy one and it was much thinner and breaks easily.

Where did you get information on cost?

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I will bid on it. Put the link up. My Predator WSK has been great. There was a company out of China making a knock off out of 420 steel. That advertised in Blade magazine a while back. I had a bud buy one and it was much thinner and breaks easily.

Where did you get information on cost?
Pulled it from his arse I think. He suckered to buying that thing from the back end of Blade magazine and thinks he got an RS6 knife. How easily the misinformed are taken.

·
Banned
23 Posts
I bought one of those off the back of the mag mentioned to compare. They look and feel the same to me. Like crap.

FYI: I've never been to blade forums. I did however have a bad experiance with the owner of RSS Aaron(Sp?) as a customer.

I didn't join here to "burn" him. I don't like his product, regardless of my personal feellings, the Predator is not worth the 200 I paid for it.

I bought a WSK from Tim Horan and it was 500.00 and well worth it. Not 900.00 as you claim. I like what I like and am only trying to help. Sorry if my opinion offends you.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.