Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Purrpared
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our city recently decided trash pickup would go to once every 2 weeks for some areas. At the same time, the private garbage company raised its rates. People have started setting bags beside their cans, using Dumpsters behind buildings that are supposed to be for non-food waste, and throwing trash in vacant lots.

I'm at the kitchen table and I hear leaves rustling. My husband looks up. "Is that -- WTF! Close the door!" I simultaneously slam the patio door and look around for MZBs.

THERE IS A FREAKING RAT HANGING OFF THE BIRD FEEDER 3 FEET FROM US. A big, nasty cement gray and urine yellow, ghetto-arse Norway rat. We went out to chase it off and the thing reared up and hissed. As far as I'm concerned, this is stage 2 of SHTF. Screw the federal budget dithering, possible nuclear holocaust and/or the end of US global supremacy; there is a RAT outside my apartment.

I grew up near a trucking company in L. A. and Norway rats hung around in the sewer system. They grow to the size of large cats. They get into pantries or any stored materials in a container they can chew through for nests. They eat pet food, fast food leavings, people's garden produce and yum, trash. They attack small animals and small children, and they spread disease. Did I mention beady eyes, yellow fangs, and serious evil rat-titude? Ewwww.

I look like a nut job sitting out here periodically whacking at a rhododendron with a longstaff but this thing has come back 3 times, even though we took the bird feeder down immediately, bleached it and put it away. This rat is both stupid and scary bold. If it wasn't for the surrounding apartments I'd sit out there with a .22 and get some target practice.

Where there's one rat in the daytime, there are probably hundreds more out at night. Imagine what is breeding in the insulation of all those foreclosed and abandoned houses now that people are leaving overflowing trash around.

Welcome to Barter Town. Bring your own skewers and we'll have a rat roast to celebrate the deal.

This is one I didn't prep for.

·
Never Give up
7,579 Posts
Garbage is one of my week problems. Living where we do I have to make a run 3 times a year to get rid of stuff. But in the city your at there mercy. As for pest cats and dogs love to chase the rats and kill um. But you have to make sure they dont get out of hand. I know before some our grains come in they mice start getting really thick. Thats when 10/22s with night scopes are fun at nighttime. We have little compitions to see who can kill the most. One night my eldest son shot over 400 feild mice in one night from the hay loft. Its fun, and it teaches his good shooting skills.

·
Purrpared
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We've made friends with the neighbors' cats and that's one of the things that concerns me. Our patio is on a corner of the building so it's a cat freeway at night with one or two coming and going all the time. With so many cats around and I'm still seeing a rat, how many of them are actually out there?

I remember from my childhood if a building had rats the county condemned it and everyone was moved out. Now I suppose they'll just raise our rent because the apartment comes with its own protein sources.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts