Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have a Rat problem, I have chickens in my yard and rats started becoming a problem a few months ago, I would trap some and shoot some every so often but Now they have started eating my Garden (fruits) and they just got into my mealworm farm.

I have tried snap traps, electronic traps, bait/poison,

Any suggestions on what works for you guys ?

(i tried to search but got mostly random posts, not sure if im doing it wrong)

·
Registered
454 Posts
Find their pathways. We have a mole problem and once we find their paths, it's easy to kill them. Plant poison and traps along walls and corners if it's near a building. When I first started going after them, traps got them near the house and poison got them when we found their exit holes. It wasn't uncommon to come out one morning a week and see a dead one or two in the driveway or front lawn. You can also scare them out by tapping on anything hard along the pathway once you see them.

My old man, OTOH, likes to pour gas down the holes and napalm them out. I should buy him some Willie Pete for this summer.:D::D:

·
Ephemerally here
6,875 Posts
Drowning traps don't need to be reset, and can take quite a few before needing emptying.

I know it as the Russian trap, but lots a folks know it.

5 gal bucket. Coke can with small holes at center of top and bottom. Pass a wire through coke can. Make a knot just outside each end of the can. Run the wire across the middle of the top of the bucket centering the can, and secure the wire ends outside the rim. Put a ruler, yardstick or some sort of ramp to one or both ends of the wire at the rim of the bucket. Put nice oily peanut butter on the center band around the can. Place where you know rats activities are. Fill the bucket with oil or water, at least Eight Inches deep. Antifreeze works too.

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
16,940 Posts
Cats. All mine are excellent ratters.

A former "feral" would be great, especially if you aren't looking for a pet.

Don't use poison if you have any cats. The cats will eat dead rats they find and could ingest the poison.

My little girl brought me a huge rat half her size, the other night. I took it away, praised her, and gave her treats.

Interestingly enough, cats need 3 mice a day to survive, but of course you need to feed them.

Reactions: dethmaul

·
Outlander Territory
3,710 Posts
My 8 month old barn cat was catching rabbits that were almost the same size as him. He'd eat them too, and share them with his buddy who had a penchant for cornering rattlesnakes. Size, in this case, doesn't matter. A good mouser/ratter is worth their weight in gold...or get a rat terrier!

·
Just Lurking
243 Posts
Ditto on the cats. I always had one or two around and I was the only person in the area without rats or mice. They not only kill all the vermin in the area, but rodents avoid areas that smell like cats. Even most well fed house cats will go out and kill rats each night, just for fun.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Around my old farm place I never had rats, but I think I had every chipmunk in the township at my place... They can be very destructive in there own right..

My best solution was a wood base Victor rat trap, baited with a salted in the shell peanut, and the peanut tied to the bait pan with a bread wrapper twist tie..

Be sure to tie down the trap to a solid object with a cord.. If something wants to consume the trap contents, don't let it drag the trap away and loose it..

Be very persistent... You will win, but it takes time and effort..

Good luck

·
All over Europe
3,360 Posts
Drowning traps don't need to be reset, and can take quite a few before needing emptying.

I know it as the Russian trap, but lots a folks know it.

5 gal bucket. Coke can with small holes at center of top and bottom. Pass a wire through coke can. Make a knot just outside each end of the can. Run the wire across the middle of the top of the bucket centering the can, and secure the wire ends outside the rim. Put a ruler, yardstick or some sort of ramp to one or both ends of the wire at the rim of the bucket. Put nice oily peanut butter on the center band around the can. Place where you know rats activities are. Fill the bucket with oil or water, at least Eight Inches deep. Antifreeze works too.
Keep in mind that rats can tread water for THREE DAYS. And they can touch bottom with only 8 inches. This is a great plan for mice, but for rats you need to think MUCH larger.

I recommend a couple hungry barn cats, and/or a rat terrier.

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Keep in mind that rats can tread water for THREE DAYS. And they can touch bottom with only 8 inches. This is a great plan for mice, but for rats you need to think MUCH larger.

I recommend a couple hungry barn cats, and/or a rat terrier.
We used 20 gallon drums in the barns.
Antifreeze in the bottom.

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Cats-you will not have rats in time, but neither will you have quail, rabbits, pheasants, etc. around your place.

Rat terriers do not seem so destructive of small game.
If you feed the cats with cheap cat food bought in bulk from the local farm supply place they seem to be a bit more content and will kill the rodents more for fun.

We had chickens growing up, got infested with rats like the OP, shotgunning and trapping them had little effect on their population.
Rounding up some free cats from the local paper knocked the rats down to just a few in a couple days.
We fed the cats and they would still run around like mad killing the rats but had little interest in the chickens.
I never noticed any dead rabbits or grouse.
Not saying they didn't kill them, but if they did I never noticed.

·
Third World'er Lunatic
16,245 Posts
keep a coackwhip in the shop, and keep feral cats attracted with food.... havent see a rat and only pieces of mice left as gifts on my deck. I trap the feral toms and have them newtered, to cut down on inbreeding, and spraying. even keep em a box with a light (heat) out for the cold nights.

·
I told you so!
2,707 Posts
The old time way to get rid of rats. Rats are community animals so you catch one alive
roll up some news paper light it singe the hair off the rat let him go , he will run home the other rats can not stand the smell of fire and will leave and he will follow and they will just keep running from him. Also rats can not regurgitate mix some cement (dry) with
food for them, it sets up in their bowels, no more rat. JT

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
16,940 Posts
I have a lot of respect for you, Goblin.

That is awesome. Truly awesome.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts