Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
dum dum
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SO you live in the suburbs, houses on both sides of yours, and because you never used your attached garage, only as of late do you find the garage and attic are home to a colony of giant rats.
OK, let's say it's a friend's house, and she'd rather (have me) "pop" them than use glue traps and have them suffer while stuck to the glue and starve to death...OR have to carry the trap to the trash can while they are still alive and, as the exterminator told her "listen to their screams while they try to chew themselves loose".
She offered to buy me an air rifle (can you see how I am playing this?), but I was wondering how many folks here would actually try to "pop" the rats with a .22, say, subsonic ammo. Is that just insane, considering it may result in holes in the roof or walls? I swear she'd drop at least a C-note...should I parlay this into an air rifle or a good chunk of a used .22? She knows nothing about guns, and couldn't even understand why I didn't bring my 9mm over and "just shoot them with that"...
I know I am just rotten for trying to build on a firearm collection with her distaste for whacking the critters herself, but for a new toy, I would take up residence in her place and shoot the b*stards all night long!
So what do you guys think? It's late and I may not be thinking clearly.:D:

·
TrailBlazer
734 Posts
AK all the Way, who needs a house anyways??? Hey its not your house. Sounds fun to me!LOL Throw a 12 gauge in there to mix it up too!:taped::D::D:

·
dum dum
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I am just going to take my granddad's old SAP over there tomorrow and konk the glue trapped rats over the head...I'd love to figure out how to get her to go halvsies on a .22 of some sort, or an air rifle, but I dunno...then I'd be expected to crawl up there and start shooting, which isn't the problem...the aerated roof follow up repair might be! :thumb:

·
*** Forgives, I don't
1,369 Posts
You can buy rat shot in .22 cal. (like a small shotgun shell) or buy some rubber snakes and spread around, the rats will leave on their own. .22 calibre shorts will kill and not penetrate through to leave holes.

·
Registered
106 Posts
as mentioned you can buy rat shot...but a word of warning in the majority of my semi autos i always have issues with it feeding properly. with that said i would prefer an air rifle as well.

make sure to hunt the site for the recipes on how to eat the little critters i hear they are enjoyable with a white sauce....just kidding...i'd have to be VERY hungry to eat rat...again.

·
ruralist
1,441 Posts
I was wondering how many folks here would actually try to "pop" the rats with a .22, say, subsonic ammo. Is that just insane, considering it may result in holes in the roof or walls?
Not insane if you use the method I did a few times, in my parent's garage late at night. Put out a metal sheet, or plywood behind a platform raised a foot off the ground. Put your bait on the platform. Now setup and hold still, waiting. If you miss or get total penetration it's just going to hit the backstop.. Just make sure the platform is accessible by ramp and has some goodies leading to the shooting area.

·
Registered
9,544 Posts
Feral Cats...We have several cats that are just a hair above being feral...not the kind of kitties you can pet or even get close to for that matter...rats and mice not a problem.
Peter

Reactions: firehiker

·
Certifiable
723 Posts
When I was a kid we lived in France where their wharf rats are as big or bigger than cats. That's why they use rat terriers and other breeds of dogs instead of cats. Well my mom called the exterminator and they came in with guess what? - yep you got it - .22 caliber air rifles to do battle with the critters. And they were big.

Have her get you one of those with the Whisper chamber.:thumb:

·
One decade later...
221 Posts
I have never shot a .410 or been around some one shooting one, but could

you do one of those inside with like a size 6 shot possibly?

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
I use a pellet rifle.
The water bucket method works well.
In Philippines we had rats and I used glue taps or a sling shot.
Rat gets in glue, rat gets claw hammer to the noodle.
No chewing or screaming.
Ok, the wife sort of screeched when I whacked the baby rat and it made a crunching sound.
We had one rat outside that was huge. The BIL popped it with a marble from the slingshot.
It hollered, ran off and was back a few hours later.
If he is still there in March....he's gonna die.
The Sheridan .20 cal is going with me that trip.
If you have a .22 revolver Aguila makes a powderless round called a Colibri.
I ain't saying you should discharge a firearm in city limits but I also ain't saying I wouldn't.
I don't think the Colibri has enough oomph to go through a wall or ceiling YMMV.

·
dum dum
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for that! I am going to look into the Colibri...but I really think I will help her with a combination of all the others...and maybe get an air rifle...they are just fun to shoot!

·
Registered
435 Posts
Just a side note on the Colibri ammo. It will penetrate a good deal of material. I also has a nasty habit of coming back at ya when shot at a railroad cross tie backstop. (don't ask me how I know this.) Your choice just some more info to make your choice harder.:D:

·
Deo VIndice
6,108 Posts
I have never shot a .410 or been around some one shooting one, but could

you do one of those inside with like a size 6 shot possibly?
Too much gun for the job...you'd still have some penetration issues.

CCI makes what's called a 22 CB Long. I have used them at 15 yards outside to kill rats under my bird feeder that were the size of small cats.

They are whisper quiet, lead heads. Only problem is they will go thru the rat. It turned more than one inside out in the area it exited. :eek:

·
I'm the boogey man.......
6,686 Posts
Cat.....Used to have rats / mice in the garage, put a cat door to the garage, problem solved.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Thanks for that! I am going to look into the Colibri...but I really think I will help her with a combination of all the others...and maybe get an air rifle...they are just fun to shoot!
:eek:

You truly are a cruel and evil man, Mr. Firehiker!

But [ahem] that sure sounds like fun to me. :D:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts