Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Survival Actual
4,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if this has been discussed, but i was thinking that a couple of rat traps would be a great and easy idea for trapping small animals.

The standard original wooden ones are flat and can be carried at the bottom of a backpack pretty easily. You can also drill a paracord hole in the end of it and attach it to a tree, in case you snag something larger like a rabbit.

This kind would be easy to carry...

This kind is easier to set up quicker, but doesn't lay flat in your pack. However it does
have teeth to hold onto larger animals better when tied to a tree...

What do yall think? Yes, No, or stick with Burger King?

·
FOX ON THE RUN
417 Posts
Depends on if you want to catch rats and mice or not. Sorry couldn't resist, I have some bigger traps stashed away tho. I couldn't see a rat trap keeping a squirrel down (or maybe we just have some mean ones around here.)

·
Registered
633 Posts
They are underpowered for most animals. Some use them effectively to trap weasel/ ermine, but I expect a squirrel would power out and rabbits would hop away after recovering from a nasty headache. I think snares would be more effective and versatile.

·
hunter-gatherer
126 Posts
Why not paiute deadfall, it takes only minutes to make, you only need cord , and you can set about 70 deadfalls in half day. If you are in coutry without stones it gets more tricky , in send country i used split logs to trap mice , just make sure to fence both sides of deadfall , ant set stone more dawn , for mice have less time to run .
deadfall works on mice ,pacrats, squirrels, and other bigger animals
if you wanna get enough food you will need to set more than 50. or better 100 traps , it could bee little heavy to carry 50 mouse traps , better to carry knowledge in your head than on back

here more about paiute deadfall
http://www.wildwoodsurvival.com/survival/traps/paiute/paiute01.html

·
Never Give up
7,579 Posts
Not to many around our place. Or dogs and cats are not into letting mice or rats stay around. When they get them they bring it to us and we praise them and go overboard. Then we give them special treats. I dont care what happens but if one takes off in the barn or somewhere the dogs and cats go crazy to get it. The funny thing is watching them do it together. Over the years I find it funny I thing they work together.

·
Registered
772 Posts
My 2 cents

I'm not going to make a pitch for actually eating rats but who know if you're hungry enough. I'd be more apt to eat a rat that sneaks in to eat our goat feed over any city alley rat.

But whatever you're hoping to catch with the trap, be sure to put it out but not set for a couple or more days so the animal is used to it being there. Then set it. Not that you can't get lucky the first time around but you will increase your odds a lot.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I haved a couple of each in the BOB, chipmunks etc will work on I did drill a 3/8" hole in the corner of the rat traps so I could anchor it in case I get a animal that doesn't die right off so it can't drag the trap away.

My theroy is anything that may provide food/water and free me up for other task is a good thing. Its like multi tasking in the woods.

They also work well for running perimeter trip wires you can rig to blank rounds from surefire.com.

·
Wanderer
3,269 Posts
I don't think a mouse trap would be much use except maybe as a trigger for a deadfall or other trap.
A rat trap should hold a ground squirrel, maybe even a small tree squirrel.

·
Swamp Rat
31 Posts
i've had a couple of these in my pack as an emergency "critter getter" since last year, i just drilled holes in them and have about 2 feet of tough braided wire connected and some paracord connected to the wire.. wire probably isnt needed but the idea of having something connected to the trap directly that a lil critter couldnt chew through seemed appealing..

actually got the idea from Dave Canterbury's wilderness outfitters videos on Youtube. like him or hate him for this dual survival show he's doing, but the man has some decent ideas.

·
Registered
778 Posts
i've had a couple of these in my pack as an emergency "critter getter" since last year, i just drilled holes in them and have about 2 feet of tough braided wire connected and some paracord connected to the wire.. wire probably isnt needed but the idea of having something connected to the trap directly that a lil critter couldnt chew through seemed appealing..

actually got the idea from Dave Canterbury's wilderness outfitters videos on Youtube. like him or hate him for this dual survival show he's doing, but the man has some decent ideas.
Why not just attach snare wire instead. If needed, you could detach the snare wire and use it as a snare for larger animals (eg. rabbits). Economy of effort and space....like killing two stones with one bird. :)

·
Swamp Rat
31 Posts
Why not just attach snare wire instead. If needed, you could detach the snare wire and use it as a snare for larger animals (eg. rabbits). Economy of effort and space....like killing two stones with one bird. :)
its picture hanging wire, its used for snares around here, but i dont like it for that purpose, but its definitely useable for snares as it is if i disconnect it.. :D:

·
Registered
6 Posts
They will kill a squirrel, not always instantly, but then again they don't always kill rats instantly. What I have done is drill a hole in the board of a wooden rat trap, tie a piece of wire or 550 cord or anything that you can use to attach it to a limb. Do not tie it down tight, use about a 2 foot length, tie one end to the trap and one end to the limb and make sure if it falls the trap will hang in the air not close to the ground or trunk of the tree. Bait the trap with peanut butter, or crushed acorns or whatever bait you have available that a squirrel will be attracted too. When the trap snaps and head catchs the squirrel it will try and jump back and the trap and squirrel will fall from the branch and it will be left dangling until it dies or you get there.

Pooch15825

·
Registered
6 Posts
I think a mousetrap is a great idea for trapping. An instant trap - just takes a few seconds to set up. Having it tied down would make it work for larger prey, so they can't run away if not killed. It would definitely work on squirrels.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I like it!

I don't know if this has been discussed, but i was thinking that a couple of rat traps would be a great and easy idea for trapping small animals.

The standard original wooden ones are flat and can be carried at the bottom of a backpack pretty easily. You can also drill a paracord hole in the end of it and attach it to a tree, in case you snag something larger like a rabbit.

This kind would be easy to carry...

This kind is easier to set up quicker, but doesn't lay flat in your pack. However it does
have teeth to hold onto larger animals better when tied to a tree...

What do yall think? Yes, No, or stick with Burger King?
Good idea:thumb:!

·
Registered
96 Posts
They will kill a squirrel, not always instantly, but then again they don't always kill rats instantly. What I have done is drill a hole in the board of a wooden rat trap, tie a piece of wire or 550 cord or anything that you can use to attach it to a limb. Do not tie it down tight, use about a 2 foot length, tie one end to the trap and one end to the limb and make sure if it falls the trap will hang in the air not close to the ground or trunk of the tree. Bait the trap with peanut butter, or crushed acorns or whatever bait you have available that a squirrel will be attracted too. When the trap snaps and head catchs the squirrel it will try and jump back and the trap and squirrel will fall from the branch and it will be left dangling until it dies or you get there.

Pooch15825
I use a similar method, but I use a drilled hole on both ends and use wood screws to attach it the the tree trunk.

·
Nature is My Medicine
446 Posts
I think a rat trap would kill squirrels just fine. They're quite similar in stature and weight when you think about it. If the trap lands a blow on the squirrels neck, I think the neck would break instantly. If the neck did not break, asphyxiation would follow very quickly anyhow.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts