Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Grouchy Infidel
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It showed up today just before I left to go to my youngest daughter's school function.

Here are some preliminary pictures, I'm going to run it through some work this weekend and I'll post some in action pictures then.

Why the RC-5?

Though I own several knives of different varieties, I wanted a solid hard use knife designed by those that do hard tasks. The warranty is one of if not the best in the business, no questions asked guarantees are hard to find. This was my first heavy knife purchase in 4 years, figured I was due.

The size and shape were appealing for what I wanted, it was in my price range, the jump proof retention sheath had good reviews as well. So far after reading several reviews, I found them all positive.

I made the order at www.knifeworks.com on Tuesday morning. It arrived this afternoon, standard UPS ground in 3 days.

First impressions:

Stout. That's the word that comes to mind when you pick it up. Balances nicely, the heft tells me it'll chop well. Passing it down my forearm, carefully, showed how sharp it is, there was a pile of hair in front of the blade. For such a massive chunk of metal I was pleasantly surprised.

The finish is outstanding, evenly coated, solid, impervious, the scales are your typical Micarta, there is a fire drill divot point on the left side. I imagine it would be somewhat wise to lube that if you actually use it for the drill. we'll find out this weekend if it works well or not.

As you look at the glass breaker on the back you'll see the serial number, 305 on mine. The glass breaker is very nicely done, plenty of room for a lanyard, nice shape, tapered towards the strike point. I believe it would smash stone as easily as glass, certainly bone.

After I put some use into it this weekend I'll post some more pictures and commentary.

With my Glock 27 for scale

POV for RC-5 and Glock 27

Comparison of drill divot and .40 cal round.

Two views of the glass breaker:

With my old 1989 US Lensatic and a new Brunton.

Few more for scale.

More to come...

·
Got any beer money?
371 Posts
Nice pics . . . I imagine.

What happened? We have captions and nothing else, dude.

I like RAT pics, so please try again.

The Bum

·
Registered
839 Posts
Nice SmokinOnion, I see you read my review of the RC5. You will NOT be disappointed with it. I love mine. I have used it several times since my posting and love it.

·
Got any beer money?
371 Posts
Yup, see 'em now. Don't know what happened early this morn'.

Great pics! I like the close-up of the skull-crusher (I know they call it a glass-breaker, but come on, really).

I have been planning on adding one to my collection of RATs for some time, but your pics just moved it up a couple notches on my "to buy" list.

Thanks. Keep posting 'em.

The Bum

·
Grouchy Infidel
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
So I didn't get to do as much this weekend as I wanted to but here is a recap on what I did get to do.

Among the things listed below I did post on Alternative fire where I used the RC-5: http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=54054

The Sheath:

I'm not keen on the double retention straps. Certainly very secure but it does make getting the knife into action quickly slightly more difficult. In most cases getting it out quickly isn't of great importance to me so it is a small point.

The main issue with the secondary strap is the knife edge comes into contact with the strap before fully clearing. As you can see in image one there is clearly blade contact being made, images 2 and three show why and how. Unless you reach around and forcefully hold the strap out of the way you can't avoid this really. Because I don't jump out of perfectly good airplanes anymore I don't need this feature and will likely remove the lower of the two straps.

Pocket on the Sheath:

In trying to figure out what I wanted to carry in this pocket I was torn between utility items that are natural companions to a knife like a small diamond stone for example, or attempt to assemble a few items that make up the last line survival, the "if I had nothing but this knife" kind of thinking.

I'll probably go back and forth on the idea but here is what I selected, all of it is contained in a painted Altoids tin.

Contents:
150' waxed saddle thread. This stuff is tough as nails, easy to stow and easy to use.

5 fish hooks with leaders, set trot lines etc. 15 3/0 sinkers.

1 3” Woodsman broadhead for use as a spear tip, gigging etc. You can also use these on traps where you have a trigger to a loaded limb set. There is a 1/4 of a stick of Ferrel-Tite in there to mount the head to sticks and so forth. Same stuff I use on my cedar arrows for my longbow.

Wrapped around the 1/4 stick is about 20' of mil-spec trip wire for making snares.

My Firesteel is slipped into the side of the pouch with a piece of 550 passing through it and securely affixed to the sheath.

So, I've got fire, fishing, gigging, spearing, trapping and snaring covered, shelter building if I need a knife, and a small diamond hone. I am debating myself on adding a small compass, though I carry two, one on my person and one in a pack having a small button 20mm compass here might be of benefit as well.

Cutting:

Here is an image of the RC-5, a Helle knife and a set from Knives of Alaska.

For working game I won't be giving up the KoA blades, D2 tool steel, insanely sharp and easy to use. Light as a feather and pure pleasure to work with, after elk, mule deer and caribou over the past year they are the premier game knifes for me. Of course their drawback is they are not nearly as robust. The Helle knife has one of the best blade compositions I've used and has been my general purpose bush knife for a while.

Since the RC-5 wasn't designed for what these knives can do I'm not going to bother with fine cutting or meat making on the RC-5 compared to these blades. The focus is heavy hard use.

Most of the baton work you see is done on a chainsawed sections. I've yet to find a convenient set of chainsawed log lengths in the wild. Usually you find stump splits where the tree has fallen as in the image below. Batoning these out can give you decent kindling. The RC-5 had no issued with baton work even in very tough weathered wood.

It made short work of dropping standing dead trees.

We had some steady miserable drizzle today so I threw up a couple shelter haves to do some finer work out of the wind and the rain, nothing special.

The RC-5 had no issues making a fine point on my mini-spear even after all of the heavy cutting.

I'm a big fan of mini-spears. Most of the time when people talk spears that are talking full 6' long hunting spears. I like the 3' mini-spear tipped with a woodsman as described above. They can be very accurate and deadly for small game or frog gigging and the like. Here are couple shots of that process. In one of them you can see how my small pack candle fits nicely in the divot on the RC-5. Using the candle to melt ferrel-tite to fit the head to the mini-spear. Last couple are after a 15 to 20' throw into a tree. I didn't throw hard, just let the weight do the work. On soft skinned critters this is lethal.

Using my hanging pack to hold the minispear, the candle, near the top you can see the woodsman head and in the middle a small chunk of ferrel-tite with some snare wire wrapped around it.

Close up of the mini-spear tip.

Using the RC-5 to hold the candle and free both of my hands to manipulate the mini-spear. Melted some ferrel-tite onto the tip and into the head, pushed the head on and twisted. Heating it back up to twist it into alignment with the spear.

After a throw:

Penetration from 20':

I'll get some more up as I use the knife more.

So far I have no real complaints, quite satisfied. It is not a knife for fine work. I think too many times people try to get one knife to do all of their work, sometimes you can get close with a good bush knife but usually you are trading off certain things and making compromises. So far so good with the RC-5. Nothing it has not been able to do so far.

I wanted to add that even in the rain, the grip on the micarta handle actually improved over dry, it positively stuck to the hand. No twisting or slipping when heavy chopping.

·
Got any beer money?
371 Posts
Last post was EXCELLENT!!!!

Very good info!

I like the Altoid kit in the sheath idea. I like all the close-ups. And I like the idea of adding an arrowhead to my kit for a spear (fish and game), I'm going to do that!

Again, very good work. I'm impressed. Keep'em com'n!!!!

The Bum

·
Registered
556 Posts
Can you guys clear something up for me? what is the big differences between the RAT RC-5 and the Ontario Rat 5?
From the pics I've been able to find the sheaths are different and the RC-5 has the drill dimple, but is that it? the blade material is the same- how about thickness, same?....nevermind I just found it- Ontario version is only 3/16- only that's pretty funny to say but still not as beefy as the .25 RC-5!!!

link for Ontario Rat 5- http://www.knifeworks.com/browsepro...an-Canvas-Micarta-Handle--Cordura-Sheath.html

Anyone know what the weights difference is? the Ontario is about half the price of the RC-5.

PS- Smokin Onion- great post!

·
Grouchy Infidel
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thats a cool knife but damn $135? you could buy 4 great knives for that much dough.

i hope its made outta adamantium.
It was the hole I have in my knives.
I've got hunters to fillet to bush to combat but what I didn't have was a crowbar with a razor edge. It might as well be made out of adamantium, if not, the warranty certainly is.

·
Grouchy Infidel
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the review.

That exact same problem happens to me with my Bowie. I want to get a new sheath with a flip down and snap tab.
Yep, found that same problem with any retention strap that is so low on the handle that the blade contacts it before fully clearing the sheath.

I'm going to take a shot at making a formed leather sheath for it using Sticks excellent guide to doing it. Soon as I get it done I'll throw up another post.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts