Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
On my way.
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All
I am not sure if this youtube vid has been shown here before, I have not seen it. But this guy noss4 really tries to wreck a rat 4 knife.
I was so impressed by just how tough this knife is I want to get one :)
This guy takes to it with a large hammer and cuts its way through bricks!
Maybe a rat 5 could be better for me though.

·
Got any beer money?
371 Posts
I have that knife. It and the RTAKII (Noss does a destruction test of this knife, as well) are my primary blades in the woods.

Nobody is going to abuse their knives like this, but I'm glad Noss does these test so that I can see just how tough a paticular knife really is. Check out his channel on YouTube.

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
I have a RAT Cutlery RC-3, it's a nice little knife, light, sharp, deep belly, just over 3mm thick and with a distal taper. It's a good slicer.:thumb:

I'm not too sure on the science behind those destruction tests, I would prefer to see more "real world" tests, rather than just beating the crap out of them.

Apologies for putting this photo up more than once.:eek::

·
Registered
839 Posts
I have the RAT RC-3 and the new Izula neck knife and love them, I will be getting the Ontario RTAKII soon. The RAT RC-5 SERE will be coming out in Feb I think and I may get that one too. I have been really impressed with the RAT Cutlery knives.

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
I can do that stuff with a $5 knife
I'm sure you can and a Mora knife is highly rated and that comes cheap too.

I appreciate having "nice" things like good quality fishing gear (lots), axes (2)and knives (several); apart from a collection of books, a couple of instruments and some clothes that's all I own.

:)

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
Hi
Is this the rat 3?
what does it weigh?
Do you use it often and like it?
Would you rather the rat 5?

Cheers
Yep it's the RAT Cutlery RC-3, I did weigh it but I honestly can't remember how much, sorry:eek::.

As a production knife I think it's very good and RAT Cutlery has a "no questions asked garantee" (sp:confused::xeye:). If I got the name right, Jeff Randal is the guy who owns the company and he said he would replace the knife that Noss trashed.

The only thing I would change is the plastic sheath, I don't think it looks very classy, it's just a bit too functional for me:rolleyes:. Although I'm sure it's great if you're in a South American jungle, after all that's the environment for which the knife was designed for.

There's a Dutch guy on britishblades that will hopefully make me a sheath for it. Kydex wrapped in leather, they're beautiful and very durable, the only draw back is it will cost about £50.

Still, as I tried to explain to betty I appreciate good quality stuff from decent makers.

I wouldn't want the RAT 5, if I was to buy another RAT Cutlery knife it would be the RC-6 because it's a bit longer and slimmer.

The RC-6 can baton and I wouldn't need the SERE knife that the 5 is. I don't want or need a sharpened prybar, I'm not Noss.
:D:

·
Got any beer money?
371 Posts
Yep it's the RAT Cutlery RC-3, I did weigh it but I honestly can't remember how much, sorry:eek::.

As a production knife I think it's very good and RAT Cutlery has a "no questions asked garantee" (sp:confused::xeye:). If I got the name right, Jeff Randal is the guy who owns the company and he said he would replace the knife that Noss trashed.

The only thing I would change is the plastic sheath, I don't think it looks very classy, it's just a bit too functional for me:rolleyes:. Although I'm sure it's great if you're in a South American jungle, after all that's the environment for which the knife was designed for.

There's a Dutch guy on britishblades that will hopefully make me a sheath for it. Kydex wrapped in leather, they're beautiful and very durable, the only draw back is it will cost about £50.

Still, as I tried to explain to betty I appreciate good quality stuff from decent makers.

I wouldn't want the RAT 5, if I was to buy another RAT Cutlery knife it would be the RC-6 because it's a bit longer and slimmer.

The RC-6 can baton and I wouldn't need the SERE knife that the 5 is. I don't want or need a sharpened prybar, I'm not Noss.
:D:
Sorry, but you do not have a RAT-3. It's an RC-3. The difference is primarily the manufacturer.

You see, the guys of RAT Cutlery originaly designed knives for the Ontario knife company in NY. The RAT line of Ontarios (RAT3, RAT5, RAT7, and RTAKII) were all designed by Randal Adventure Training. Then Randal Adventure Training parted company with Ontario and began making their own knives (Rc-3, Rc-4, Rc-6, and others). There is a legal battle going on between the two companies right now.

The Rc-3 is the knife I would prefer over the RAT3, just because if you buy it you are supporting the "little guy" that originally designed it.

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
Sorry, but you do not have a RAT-3. It's an RC-3. The difference is primarily the manufacturer.

You see, the guys of RAT Cutlery originaly designed knives for the Ontario knife company in NY. The RAT line of Ontarios (RAT3, RAT5, RAT7, and RTAKII) were all designed by Randal Adventure Training. Then Randal Adventure Training parted company with Ontario and began making their own knives (Rc-3, Rc-4, Rc-6, and others). There is a legal battle going on between the two companies right now.

The Rc-3 is the knife I would prefer over the RAT3, just because if you buy it you are supporting the "little guy" that originally designed it.
Yes I know I own a RAT Cutlery RC-3.

·
Junior Oldie
817 Posts
Photos anyone? :)

The RC-3 looks good, but your Sticks special looks even better.

I've been reading up on the RC's as this and other threads have brought them up and really like the simple approach to the design. The RC-3 is a bit short for what I would need, but looks like it would be great for a camp knife that could do more if needed.

Anybody else think the RATs and Beckers kind of overlap each other? I think the non-Ontario RCs would be of slightly higher quality, but that's just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
The RC-3 looks good, but your Sticks special looks even better.

I've been reading up on the RC's as this and other threads have brought them up and really like the simple approach to the design. The RC-3 is a bit short for what I would need, but looks like it would be great for a camp knife that could do more if needed.
Anybody else think the RATs and Beckers kind of overlap each other? I think the non-Ontario RCs would be of slightly higher quality, but that's just my opinion.
I totally agree with that and that's why I bought it to be used as a small, general purpose utility knife.

Everyone who I've showed sticks' knife to has said what a good feel it has. It's nearly 2mm thicker than either of the two knives in that picture and is the only one that will strike sparks from its spine when using it with a firesteel.

I'm sure I could use the Kellam knife to baton with but I would be reluctant to, the RC-3 will baton but in the process you will scrape the black coating off eventually (not a problem if you want to use it rather can keep it as a draw queen). Sticks' knife certainly does baton well and my brother in-law Giles dubbed it the "pocket cannon":D:.

In a fit of madness and to make up for the fact I'd given Giles a Fallkniven F1 that turned out to be a bit naff, I gave him sticks' knife as a New Years present.

Rest assured, I shall be placing an order with sticks for a replacement later this year.:thumb:

I've no idea how Beckers, Ontario and RAT Cutlery knives compare but for the money that you guys can buy RAT Cutlery knives I know which one I would buy.

:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts