Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
You looking at me!
4,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Im waiting on my RC4 which is coming from knivesshipfree.com and should be hear in the next few days.

And in the mean time im starting to like the RC6 too....so

between the RC5 and RC6 which would you go for and why.

Im also looking for a custom leather sheath for the RC 4 anyone know anyone?

·
Registered
311 Posts
The RC 5 is like a little tank. Its dimensions are similar to Ka-Bar Becker 2 companion. It's very hearty and thick. I have the 5 myself and I like it very well. The RAT 6 is thinner blade. It makes a good chopper and slicer, it's just longer in length. It all depends on what you are expecting to use the knife for.:D:

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Taken from American, Canadian or European made knives thread

SHEATH MAKERS

Kydex Sheaths:
Armadillo
Buy Brown - Makes Busse's Sheaths for him
Edgeworks - Mainly holsters
Okuden
* CDN - On Scene Tactical
Red Hill
* River City
* Survival Sheaths
* Wookie

Leather Sheaths
Andy's Leather
Armoral Leather
Azrael's Leather
Back Room Leather
CDN - Vess Leatherworks
Custom Leather
Chuddy Bear - Makes Busse's Sheaths for him
Dundee's Rig
J R E Ind.
* K S F
* Mikey Moto
* Murray Custom
Randy Lee
Rankin Saddlery
Rowe's
Sharpshooter Sheaths
Stebbins
* Tree Stump
Twin Blades
*** Wild Rose Trading Company

Kydex Holsters
AHolster
Blade Tech
Comp-Tac
* Crossbreed
Eagle Ind
GER - Höppner & Schumann
* Grandfather’s Oak
Grassburr
Holsters Plus
* ISL - Fobus USA
* ISL - Front Line
JS Holsters
RM Kydex
Side Armor
* Spectre Gear
* Stellar Rigs
The Mako Group

* = First hand knowledge of

I included holster makers as they will make knife sheaths as well...

I love the hybrid sheath/holster...leather surrounding a Kydex inner sheath--retention, beauty, durability, what more could you ask for...

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I've had good products from both JRE & Sharpshooter Sheaths.

You can get these Sharpshooters for your RAT4 from KSF:

JRE sells a lot of open top pouch style sheaths.

Depends on what you like.

Cliff

·
Registered
215 Posts
i've had the same problem in the last two weeks. but i've finally decided to go for the RC5 only because i like my shortish blades and i thought the 5.25" blade sounds like the size i like. and its like a little tank which i like. i might end up getting the RC6 anyway though. depends what you want to use it for.

·
Registered
6,290 Posts
Great listing of sheath (and holster) makers SeekHer! I recently had a guy in the Netherlands make me a hybrid sheath which is just superb...the best of both worlds!

JRE makes great sheaths; I have several and the one posted is built just like the older Randall Knives' sheaths.

As to choosing between the RC5 and 6? That's a tough one. The RC5 is a beast of a knife. I would look at it more like a real "survival" blade that can be used as a sharpened prybar if needed. The RC6 is a nice thin, flat grind that would be a great field/camp knife on the bigger end. Personally, I don't like a belt knife over 5-5.5" and would opt for the RC5. If I need a bigger knife, I'll reach for the pack and pull out an axe, machete or 10/12" bladed knife.

Good choice on the RC4...that will serve you quite well!

ROCK6

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
So Im waiting on my RC4 which is coming from knivesshipfree.com and should be hear in the next few days.

And in the mean time im starting to like the RC6 too....so

Im also looking for a custom leather sheath for the RC 4 anyone know anyone?
I would choose the RC6. It's personal and subjective but I think the 6 is more of an "all round user".

If you're in the UK then contact Martin Swinkels who lives in the Netherlands, he made my RC3 sheath, pricey but superb craftsmanship (perhaps he made ROCK6's sheath as well?)

http://martinsheaths.blogspot.com/2008/06/kydex-leather-for-swamprat-ratweiler.html

·
Registered
6,290 Posts

·
You looking at me!
4,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
Yeap, it was Martin and I have two sheaths from him...absolutely awesome! I plan to get a couple more...excellent sheaths!

ROCK6
Perhaps that's you in Martin's "ops" picture? :thumb:
I'm very glad you made it back safe from that crap hole.

Unless Martin gave you a special deal then in US terms that sheath probably cost you more than your knife!

Silly as it sounds to some people but I reckon Martin's sheaths will probably out last most knives!

·
Do you smell that?
4,591 Posts
I Have been looking for a reaplacement sheath for Rat 5, thanks for the links guys. I too was undecided about which to get, my wife decided for me when she got me the 5 for our 19th anniv. Pretty cool surprise! But alas, I think I going to end up with the 4 as well. I like the 6, but I have a Kbar that kinda fills that slot, but then you never know, might end up with it as well.

·
Registered
6,290 Posts
Perhaps that's you in Martin's "ops" picture? :thumb:
I'm very glad you made it back safe from that crap hole.

Unless Martin gave you a special deal then in US terms that sheath probably cost you more than your knife!

Silly as it sounds to some people but I reckon Martin's sheaths will probably out last most knives!
They weren't that bad for $$:D: He also gave me a great deal on an older sheath for his Koster Bushcrafter. I've been quite a bit for some custom leather sheaths in the states, so his prices weren't too bad.

ROCK6

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Difference between Rat and Becker are?
More "hand work" done to the RATs. Better fit & finish.

Made in a small shop vs big factory.

Micarta vs whatever the beckers use for handle slabs.

Unlimited lifetime warranty for the RATs vs Limited lifetime warranty for the Beckers.

More variety (options) in the RAT line.

More personalized service from the RAT folks.

Better sheaths.

The Beckers are fine knives for sure,but so are the RATS. Just different knives so it's tough to compare them directly.

Cliff

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi everyone.

I love my RC-5, but prefer a small-of-back (scout) carry.
The factory sheath is decent, but weaving some 550 cord through the lashing holes didn't give enough stability, so I made something to allow me to scout carry and attach/remove the sheath without taking off the belt.

It involved:

2 10" straps (I used ballistic nylon, bit you could use leather)
Snap kit (I used 4 snaps, 2 per strap) [purchased at REI]
4 Chicago bolts [purchased at KnifeKits.com]

Measure the strap length (mine are 10"), cut and sear the edges to prevent fraying (like burning the end of 550 cord)

Measure everything out, and mark the hole positions for the attachment points to the sheath (I used a paint pen so it would show up on the black nylon)

Heat a nail (held with a vise-grip pliers) over a candle and burn holes for the Chicago bolts - 2 per strap.

Attach the straps to the sheath with the Chicago bolts

Mark where you want your snaps (male and female parts)

Heat a nail (held with a vise-grip pliers) over a candle and burn holes for the snap assemblies - I used 2 per strap.

If everything doesn't line up perfectly, you can soak the strap in water and put it on the sheath to dry - it will stretch/shrink to fit better.

·
Gone Fishin'
803 Posts
More "hand work" done to the RATs. Better fit & finish.

Made in a small shop vs big factory.

Micarta vs whatever the beckers use for handle slabs.

Unlimited lifetime warranty for the RATs vs Limited lifetime warranty for the Beckers.

More variety (options) in the RAT line.

More personalized service from the RAT folks.

Better sheaths.

The Beckers are fine knives for sure,but so are the RATS. Just different knives so it's tough to compare them directly.

Cliff
I don't know that RAT has more personalized service than the Becker people. Ethan Becker posts all the on Blade Forums and his team seem to handle things just as well imo.

While I know that the Esee Knives, RAT's new name, are top notch I find them also a bit more expensive. With that said, my next order is going to be a sweet little Izula. Or, I might wait as there is a collaberation knife, a Necker collaboration with Becker and Rat; BK-11 Blade, Rat-Izula ring handle - sweet

·
Svensk hamster
3,088 Posts
I've had good products from both JRE & Sharpshooter Sheaths.

You can get these Sharpshooters for your RAT4 from KSF:

JRE sells a lot of open top pouch style sheaths.

Depends on what you like.

Cliff
Is the RAT4 similar in size to Fällkniven F1? The sheats look nice and I wonder if I could buy one of these as a replacemant sheat for my old F1.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Is the RAT4 similar in size to Fällkniven F1? The sheaths look nice and I wonder if I could buy one of these as a replacement sheath for my old F1.
They'll make a new one that will fit perfectly -- not close enough or good for all these different makes and models but custom, bespoke to your knife...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts