Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking about buying the Rat Cutlery RC-5 Sere with black plain edge....does anyone have one that they can give their opinion on? Looks like a nice blade.

I have a Rat3 which I like ...was just wondering if the Sere's .250 blade thickness would be a problem in this short of a blade. I understand it would hurt it slicing abilities.

What do you all think?

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
I don't have one and can only pass on what I've read about it.

It's a beast of a knife!:D:

It won't slice as well as a thinner knife nor will it chop as well as a longer knife. But for what it was meant for, a survival knife for military personnel, it does the job perfectly.

If you want more of a slicing knife then why not consider the RC-6?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your input... I also heard that it was a beast by a friend who held it at SHOT.

I was looking for a knife in the 5-6 inch category that could do most things in a survival situation (maybe beside batonning large diameters). I do like the Rat Cutlery knives...when my buddy came back from SHOT and was raving about it I got a craving for one!!

I like the RC-6 too, but at a steeper price.

·
Got any beer money?
371 Posts
I have several Ontario and Rat Cutlery knives. I am in the same boat with you, trying to decide if my next one is the RC-5 or RC-6.

I am liking the fact that the RC-5 is designed to be indestructable. I am not liking the fact that it is VERY heavy (16oz. instead of 11.5 for the bigger RC-6), and the fact that it is hollow ground instead of flat (I have found in use that flat-grinds are better for just about everything, IMO).

I don't think either one would be great for chopping (but I have an RTAKII for that). The RC-6 would be a little better at baton splitting, maybe.

Right now I'm leaning toward the RC-6, mostly because Rat Cutlery doesn't care what you do to their knives to break them - if they break, they replace, no questions asked, no receipt required, forever. So, the added toughness of the RC-5 isn't really critical. The RC-6 is plenty tough, believe me, I have an RC-4 and I beat the hell out of it and it's no worse for the wear.

You can't go wrong either way, really. I'm still not sure. I'll probably end up with both, but I can't decide which one first!

The Bum

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So many blades...so little money :confused: In the end I'll probably end up with both too. The hollow grind isn't a deal breaker, but I know what you mean...I also prefer the flat grind.

I must say...what an awesome site this is :thumb:

·
Registered
261 Posts
I was actually drueling over the RC-5 myself. It looks like a really nice blade, only I really like the thickness and heft to it, even though its only a 5 inch blade. It would indeed make it nearly indestructible and that's one of the things I'm looking for. I've had too many knives that fail on me and that looks like it will hold up very well. Its made out of really good steel, and I heard the RAT Cutlery does a special heat treatment on their 1095. So I really look foward to seeing if I can get this knife as well.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was actually drueling over the RC-5 myself. It looks like a really nice blade, only I really like the thickness and heft to it, even though its only a 5 inch blade. It would indeed make it nearly indestructible and that's one of the things I'm looking for. I've had too many knives that fail on me and that looks like it will hold up very well. Its made out of really good steel, and I heard the RAT Cutlery does a special heat treatment on their 1095. So I really look foward to seeing if I can get this knife as well.

I know what you mean about drooling over it....as I said earlier, a friend has held it at the SHOT in FL. He has a fairly large hand as I do, and he said it fit as good as any he has held. Great balance and the finish was excellent. There's a sizable difference between Ontario Rat and Rat Cutlery here on fit and finish between the handle and steel.

I too can get over the weight...though considerable and many might feel too heavy. I'll just choose to skimp on something else as I agree I want an indestructible survival knife.

Can you relay any info on what they do differently with the heat treatment??

·
Registered
5,588 Posts
I would categorize it as a hard use survival/tactical/military knife. A good SHTF blade. The grind will make it harder to get a small angle. A small angle sharpens easier.

The 1/4 inch thickness and the extra steel left on the blade to the spine, will make the knife stronger for prying, if needed and heavier for better chopping.

I assume it would perform exactly as it is designed, and I think comes with RAT's sweet sheath. It is a keeper.

·
Registered
53 Posts
The RC-6 is cheaper than the RC 5. Plus, I do not believe it is hollow ground. It is a Saber Grind, unless they are the same and I was unaware?

Anyway, I will let you know, as mine is due to be shipped on Monday. Ordered it on March 5th.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The RC-6 is cheaper than the RC 5. Plus, I do not believe it is hollow ground. It is a Saber Grind, unless they are the same and I was unaware?

Anyway, I will let you know, as mine is due to be shipped on Monday. Ordered it on March 5th.
Thanks for setting me straight on the price...for some reason I thought the RC-6 was more expensive. The RC-5 is a few bucks more.

Turns out that they are both flat ground also. The RC-6 being a full flat grind. Expand both pics below and look at the specs :thumb:

http://www.ratcutlery.com/rc5_ee.jpg

http://www.ratcutlery.com/rc6.jpg

Specs:

Overall length: 11.75"
Cutting Edge Length: 5.75"
Blade length (end of handle to tip of blade): 6.5"
Blade Width: 1.56"
Weight (knife only): 11.8 ounces
Drop point blade style, full flat grind
Available in plain or partially serrated edge
Maximum thickness: .188"
1095 Carbon Steel, 57 Rc.
Removable lined Micarta handle slabs
Rounded Pommel w/ lanyard hole

·
Got any beer money?
371 Posts
I actually thought the RC-5 was hollow-ground (which I didn't like). Good to know that it is actually flat, though not to the spine - which I would prefer. This fact may sway my decision back to the RC-5. DAMN! This is a tough one, the prices are close enough for it not to be a factor for me.

Still thinking on it . . .

·
Registered
53 Posts
Sorry, I am a little crucial on the RATs, as I am a big fan. My RC 5 should be shipped tomorrow. Ordered it about 3 weeks ago. Selling like hot cakes.

Get them where they are available. RAT Cutlery will not have the next shipment of sheaths shipped to them until April 30th I believe.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry, I am a little crucial on the RATs, as I am a big fan. My RC 5 should be shipped tomorrow. Ordered it about 3 weeks ago. Selling like hot cakes.

Get them where they are available. RAT Cutlery will not have the next shipment of sheaths shipped to them until April 30th I believe.

Hey....no need to be sorry about anything. I'm a huge fan myself. Any info that you can relay on to us after your RC-5 arrives would be great. It's not if, but when I get one. Thanks... :thumb:

·
Registered
261 Posts
I know what you mean about drooling over it....as I said earlier, a friend has held it at the SHOT in FL. He has a fairly large hand as I do, and he said it fit as good as any he has held. Great balance and the finish was excellent. There's a sizable difference between Ontario Rat and Rat Cutlery here on fit and finish between the handle and steel.

I too can get over the weight...though considerable and many might feel too heavy. I'll just choose to skimp on something else as I agree I want an indestructible survival knife.

Can you relay any info on what they do differently with the heat treatment??
I can't remember for the life of me where I read what RAT does with their heat treatment. All I remember reading is they did a special heat treatment and it was better than Ontario. I think it was in a "Tactical Knife" Magazing but I'll look up what I can on google and get back to you on it.

·
Got any beer money?
371 Posts
I can't remember for the life of me where I read what RAT does with their heat treatment. All I remember reading is they did a special heat treatment and it was better than Ontario. I think it was in a "Tactical Knife" Magazing but I'll look up what I can on google and get back to you on it.
The owners of RAT Cutlery (Mike and Jeff) say on BladeForums that the heat treat process on all their knives is done by ROWEN in the US. They term it "propriatary heat treating", which mean none of your business to the competition. That's all they're giving us for information. Rowen also makes professional turbo-chargers and other high-precission metal things.

I do know first hand that the RAT blades hold an edge longer and are more forgiving when bending the blade - two things you don't usually get at the same time - when compared to my Ontario knives (which don't suck either).

The Bum

·
Registered
171 Posts
I went through this same scenario of trying to decide between the RC5 and RC6. My first Rat was an RC4, which is a great all around knife. I then picked up an izula for my EDC. When trying to decide between the RC5 and RC6 I did a lot of research, and found a lot of helpful information on the Bladeforums RAT section. I decided on the RC5. It is a beast in hand :D:. You can see some comparison pics at this link.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=628032

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The owners of RAT Cutlery (Mike and Jeff) say on BladeForums that the heat treat process on all their knives is done by ROWEN in the US. They term it "propriatary heat treating", which mean none of your business to the competition. That's all they're giving us for information. Rowen also makes professional turbo-chargers and other high-precission metal things.

I do know first hand that the RAT blades hold an edge longer and are more forgiving when bending the blade - two things you don't usually get at the same time - when compared to my Ontario knives (which don't suck either).

The Bum

I figured the heat treatment would be proprietary, but I figured I'd ask away...more times than not people know more than me on here ;)

I have a RC-3 and an Ontario RTAKII, so I know where you're coming from and agree.

I went through this same scenario of trying to decide between the RC5 and RC6. My first Rat was an RC4, which is a great all around knife. I then picked up an izula for my EDC. When trying to decide between the RC5 and RC6 I did a lot of research, and found a lot of helpful information on the Bladeforums RAT section. I decided on the RC5. It is a beast in hand :D:. You can see some comparison pics at this link.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=628032

Thanks for the link. That was a great comparison :thumb: From the info that I've been gathering, it seems like the RC-5 will the next purchase. I don't think I can go wrong with either.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I am going through a similar decision, I am trying to decide between the sere 5 and a becker kabar companion. Both knives are robust, just wondering what input does anyone have regarding the two. I own the RC3 and I like it a lot but I also like my BK7 although mine is the camillus version. I still like it a lot though.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts