Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
11B20 - Status Inactive
5,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, enjoyed my day off today at the range with my new Saiga. I was kind of curious how it would perform compared to my WASR. I through my EoTech on it to get an exact comparison since that is what I used on the WASR. I shot 5 rounds into a 25yd target and it was a little low, but a very tight group. All 5 rounds were touching.

I adjusted and went straight to the 100yd target. I shot at the 100 yd target with the WASR and was lucky if I was able to get a grouping all on the paper. I was getting between 3-5" groups and manage to put all the rounds I fired into the 8" circle. I did try to shoot a few with the Eo off and that was a horrible experience, the front post itself was bigger than the entire target. I don't remember the irons being that bad on my WASR but I may be mistaken. Regardless... The FSP can be replaced and I almost always use some sort of optic anyhow.

I have to say I am very impressed with the performance of these rifles. They are really pushing the limits of the round.

I am officially going to get rid of my WASR ;) Going to take it to next weekends gun show and hope it sells as fast as the ithaca shotgun I sold at last weeks, literally sold as soon as I walked in the place :D

·
Registered
199 Posts
Hey all, enjoyed my day off today at the range with my new Saiga. I was kind of curious how it would perform compared to my WASR. I through my EoTech on it to get an exact comparison since that is what I used on the WASR. I shot 5 rounds into a 25yd target and it was a little low, but a very tight group. All 5 rounds were touching.

I adjusted and went straight to the 100yd target. I shot at the 100 yd target with the WASR and was lucky if I was able to get a grouping all on the paper. I was getting between 3-5" groups and manage to put all the rounds I fired into the 8" circle. I did try to shoot a few with the Eo off and that was a horrible experience, the front post itself was bigger than the entire target. I don't remember the irons being that bad on my WASR but I may be mistaken. Regardless... The FSP can be replaced and I almost always use some sort of optic anyhow.

I have to say I am very impressed with the performance of these rifles. They are really pushing the limits of the round.

I am officially going to get rid of my WASR ;) Going to take it to next weekends gun show and hope it sells as fast as the ithaca shotgun I sold at last weeks, literally sold as soon as I walked in the place :D

Thanks for the report...I have mine on layway (both a 7.62x39 and .223). Let me know what you get for the WASR...I have been considering selling mine for a while and I might do so to get another Saiga (maybe in .308).

·
11B20 - Status Inactive
5,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the report...I have mine on layway (both a 7.62x39 and .223). Let me know what you get for the WASR...I have been considering selling mine for a while and I might do so to get another Saiga (maybe in .308).
I am trying to get between 600 and 700 for my WASR, I have put a lot of work into it (reblued, KVAR furniture, 74 brake welded on, Tapco G2 trigger, buffer, and other things I am sure).

·
Diamond Dog
1,504 Posts
Sounds like you had a good experience man, i don't have money for an Eotech or Acog so i was looking at a POSP in the 4X or 6X variety, seems like it would take advantage of the AK's max range..what'cha think?

·
Part Terminator
499 Posts
Glad to hear that you like the Saiga. We should meet at PF soon so you can Shoot one that is in AK form. I'll pm you soon with some dates in the future..

Just a tic in my head, but why are getting rid of your WASR?

·
Registered
121 Posts
why sell the wasr. nice to have a back up, especially since it shares the same round. If nothing else a way to arm a buddy that may be present when shtf

·
Registered
199 Posts
I am selling my WASR-10 for two reasons. One is to get the funds for a Saiga .308. The other is that in top of the Saiga 7.62x39, I also have a SAR-1 and a VZ-58 that can shoot 7.62x39 as backups. Also I will have a Saiga .223 in the coming weeks.

·
11B20 - Status Inactive
5,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The reason why I am wanting to sell the WASR is strictly for cash. I don't want to over extend myself with converting the Saiga and finishing my AR build. By selling the WASR it is much easier for me to justify to my girlfriend why I am dumping 500 on an upper receiver ;)

·
11B20 - Status Inactive
5,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sounds like you had a good experience man, i don't have money for an Eotech or Acog so i was looking at a POSP in the 4X or 6X variety, seems like it would take advantage of the AK's max range..what'cha think?
I think that would probably be a good idea. I was actually thinking about getting a cheap knock-off magnifier for the eotech. Beyond 100yds or so with the eotech and you are not really able to get as tight of groups as you should be. I am not sure how much area a 1MOA dot covers at 100yds but I am guessing at least 6-9 inches.

·
11B20 - Status Inactive
5,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
95% Complete

Here it is almost complete. What a PITA that BHO is to reinstall, it is in there and works though so that is all that matters.

Here are some pics of how she looks so far, threw in some close ups of the enamel filling I started to do, needs a little more and some cleaning up in other spots yet. I think it is a nice touch though.

Still waiting on my handguard retainer, muzzle brake, trigger guard and a few other odds and ends.

Attachments

·
Part Terminator
499 Posts
Here it is almost complete. What a PITA that BHO is to reinstall, it is in there and works though so that is all that matters.

Here are some pics of how she looks so far, threw in some close ups of the enamel filling I started to do, needs a little more and some cleaning up in other spots yet. I think it is a nice touch though.

Still waiting on my handguard retainer, muzzle brake, trigger guard and a few other odds and ends.
NICE!! You found one with mag dimples.. Did you look for that one or was It lucky? Looking real nice, easy to converter to.

·
11B20 - Status Inactive
5,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
NICE!! You found one with mag dimples.. Did you look for that one or was It lucky? Looking real nice, easy to converter to.
I got lucky, I thought they all came like that wasn't until I was looking for things that I saw that they didn't. SOmeone said that all the 2009/2010 ones have them. Mine is marked with an 08 SN though.

Ya the conversion really wasn't that hard. Like I said, other than drilling a hole into myself lol, the only hard part was getting that BHO back in there.

·
Diamond Dog
1,504 Posts

How'd you reinstall the BHO? (just noticed those are obamas initials..) And i'm trying to decide if i should get a handguard retainer or not... thinking about just modding my current handguard and giving it all black furniture.

Any idea where i can get a Posp for cheap? Kalinka rips people off usually.

·
11B20 - Status Inactive
5,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
How'd you reinstall the BHO? (just noticed those are obamas initials..) And i'm trying to decide if i should get a handguard retainer or not... thinking about just modding my current handguard and giving it all black furniture.

Any idea where i can get a Posp for cheap? Kalinka rips people off usually.
Ya I was a bit confused when I saw the saiga people talking about the "BHO feature" my head was thinking some sort of ban feature. I did the dental floss trick. Run floss through the spring and tie it off. Run the floss through the BHO hole in the bottom of the receiver, the short part of the spring faces the rear of the rifle and goes over a little notch in the BHO plate. Put the hammer in and run the pin through the hammer and BHO, do yourself a favor and tape the pin so it doesn't fall out. Drop the trigger group in, now pull the floss down till the hole in the BHO spring is visible through the retaining pin hole. Wrap the floss around the mag release. Push the retaining pin all the way in, install your shepard's crook and your good to go. Cut the floss and pull it out.

As far as handguard retainer. It is a bit costly but Dinzag has a bolt on one, held in place by allen screws, for 85 bucks. It looks good and doesn't require the removal of the FSA/Gas Block.

As far as POSP's I would check Ebay, occasionally someone has one. Have you tried Tantal? http://tantal.kalashnikov.guns.ru/bstpso.html
I think this guy steals them straight from the factory but you have to email him and he will give you availability and prices. Last I checked on a few things they were out indefinitely because there were not any scopes being produced cause there were no contracts. They aparently only produce them when there is an order to be filled.

·
Diamond Dog
1,504 Posts
The cheapest i found on Ebay was about 150$ without shipping for a 4X Posp, felt a bit high so i dunno if i'm gonna buy one.. i really want one however.

Does tantal have prices anywhere on the site?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts