Survivalist Forum banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Let the Debate begin
6,355 Posts
Schrade made at least 2 models, and I bought 2. They are great
knives that have a bit kit inside. Only downside is they are a bit
heavy. Cold steel has some hollow handle knives I own also.
One is a bit tougher than the Schrade, lighter, but the handle
is not as useful for holding things because it has no screw on
lid. The other one has the lid but is light duty.

Things have changed since this thread started. You can buy
a hollow handled knife and carefully baton with it with no
problems if your careful. I know, some here hate to baton
with a knife.

·
Registered
737 Posts
What has changed is that, outside a few rare factory cheapos, like Shrade, all the quality custom makers are gone, even more so the big ones. Reeve stopped making them in 2009, newt Martin died in 2017(?), Colin Cox died in 2012. RDW made a few big ones but also stopped years ago. Lile closed in 2001. Parrish is gone. The only serious hollow handle maker still active outside Randall is Greg Wall, who makes fairly accurate homages to Lile Randall Parrish and Crain. Good stuff but a near four month wait half paid up front, which seems to me on the high side for a mere order. Otherwise His prices are fair. Other than that, the old stuff is very rare even on eBay, where it used to be plentiful.... the only common big high quality hollow handle these days is the al mar sf-10, which oddly enough used to be rare....

·
Let the Debate begin
6,355 Posts
I have seen a few torture tests over the years and from what
I have seen the Schrade is tougher than the Chris Reeve its
a copy of

It's heavier than what I like, but for what it is, its
a high value knife.

·
The Black Death
228 Posts
I'm looking for a durable survival knife with the compartment in the handle and a screw-on compass. I've searched and can't seem to find anything but cheap Rambo knock-offs.

I want to minimize what I have to carry on me on some of my ventures out into the woods and being able to store matches, fishing line,hooks,iodine tube and a compass in the knife is a plus to me. A knife like this would give me options.......and I like having options.

Anyone have a lead?
Ed Martin Knives

http://edmartinknives.com/AVAILABLE.html

·
Registered
17 Posts
Anyone telling you that hollow handle knives are a bad idea and are prone to breaking haven't handled or used a Chris Reeve hollow handle knife. They are made of one continuous piece of steel. Extremely well made and will last a freaking life time. Almost all other hollow handle knives are made so that the blade attaches to the hollow handle and then attaches to a buttcap. This type of design can be weak due to the multiple places for failure. This isnt the case with the Chris Reeve hollow handle knives.

·
Registered
737 Posts
The Reeves knives are out of production and very expensive.

They are also painted which wears off, and Carbon steel which rusts.

Edge holding of the Reeves is nothing special. 420 or 440 is often significantly better on this point.

The narrow “fighting” blade of the Jereboam Mk II (8.9” blade) 1.4” tall, has a tendency to roll when chopping because of the narrowness combined with a Sabre grind... (It bounces the Sabre grind shoulders on the V cut)

The strength of the one piece construction is irrelevant, as separate piece handles are equally strong. That point is always irrelevant to good construction...

A better hollow handle to my mind is the current Mission copy called the Master Cutlery Rambo II: wider 1.8” wide 10” blade and excellent 420J steel that is easy to sharpen and also stainless. Even the leather sheath is excellent at 3/4” thick, and comparable to the Reeve sheath for $100 vs $12000 for an old Reeve.

The MC R2 does require edge sharpening but so does the Reeve... Bevel the saw tops to make the saw do 1/2” notches, sharpen the edge and return clicking handle ones until you get a perfectly tight handle: Once you get a tight one you have something totally indestructible, certainly even better than an original Lile (which were rougher in finish!)... And for all that it is barely over $100 US. Add padded bike handle tape and you have something that feels like a Kraton handle and makes it a truly unbeatable survival tool. Don’t trust the “experts” who treat those as wall hangers: They beat most customs (but do not confuse Master Cutlery with the older United Cutlery Rambos, which have huge problems)

Gaston

·
Registered
319 Posts
one piece NO hollow handle forged knives are the strongest, in a good sheath you can store a lot of things

·
Registered
737 Posts
True, but that extra strength is strength you can’t use... For real heavy work, I think the large rubber handles of Ontario knives are unmatched, and genuinely offer something no custom (or hollow) handle can offer (especially if you cut off the ill-designed rubber hook end). The best Ontario design is the SP-53, and I would love to see that $50-70 knife go up against Busse or any other thousand dollars custom: It would crush all of them in actual use, not only because of its rubber handle, but also because of its compact flared shape. Even the lower carbide steel would probably hold a little better to impact or twisting. I did not find INFI that impressive when twisting. It did hold up to impact, but lacked rigidity at low edge angles. Most thousand dollar customs I owned were terrible in actual use, and, surprisingly, most big factories, especially Japanese Seki stuff, usually held up very well, sometimes even in the lower price range and with 420... Customs are really rolling the dice for steel quality, in my experience, especially stainless Customs. All CPM steel was always bad, forming micro-lips easily, whether factory or custom. 420 did not form micro-lips and was almost as easy to sharpen as Carbon, but I later found thin edges did twist... I favour 440 or 5160 now, with 5160 definitely easier to sharpen...

·
Premium Member
2,302 Posts
Does My esee laserstrike count as a hollow handle knife? It has a ferro r

Because it is certainly NOT likely to break. In fact I’d say it would be hard for me to break it without it tools if I tried. I’ve used it to baton through hard dry white oak with knots all in it. I’ve hacked through branches and bushes. And basically it still looks new.

·
Registered
21,234 Posts
i would not give 50 bucks for that knife.
Fallkniven knives are well made and tested heavily in some circles; however, I agree, they are overpriced. I own a few and they are great knives, but for most of their knife prices, you could get an American-made custom knife.

ROCK6
They sit almost at ESEE prices here. Especially the stainless.

·
Registered
21,234 Posts
I have a condor Toki. That while isnt a hollow handle can be fairly easily set up as a gadget survival knife. Jamming most of the stuff in the front pocket.

It has a divot for a bow drill, a weird spot at the back to strike a fero rod and comes with a steel striker thing.

https://youtu.be/Q3DqI4TZdVc

But I have jammed in a needle, some waxed line, a bit of tape, puritabs, a sandwich bag, a fishing lure, line, hooks.

I have a button compas somewhere. I could probably glue it or something.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Ok, I used the search function and did not find a thread with this title and didn't have time to read through a dozen or more threads to find something.

I'm looking for a durable survival knife with the compartment in the handle and a screw-on compass. I've searched and can't seem to find anything but cheap Rambo knock-offs.

I want to minimize what I have to carry on me on some of my ventures out into the woods and being able to store matches, fishing line,hooks,iodine tube and a compass in the knife is a plus to me. A knife like this would give me options.......and I like having options.

Anyone have a lead?
Probubly already been posted, but Kizlyar Extreme is a good place to begin and Scherade makes one to. Both are good knives.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I know most of you aren't into hollow handle knives and that is entirely fine by me. To each his own. An internet friend sent me the link to this thread, we both had a good chuckle that Gaston is still blowing gas about knives. Frankly, I had forgotten I had a login here. So this is more of a G444 appreciation post. Feel free to ignore.:):cool:

So there are options, if HH knives are your thing, and they are well built and durable knives, meant to be used. Regardless, enjoy and have a great day!

Sam

·
Registered
6,290 Posts
Gaston is always blowing gas, we just tolerate him😁 Nice pieces, glad to see another maker keeping them alive. I got to handle Ed and Newt Martin's (actually it's Newt's design) hollow handle knife and see a demo on how robust they really are...tough knifes. Their design is what the Boker Apparo hollow-handle knife uses...one of the few production blades I would actually trust in the field. Again, thanks for displaying your talent...excellent looking!

ROCK6

·
Registered
737 Posts
I seem to recall you described the Gerber Guardian II as a dull, edgeless railroad spike, and even went so far as to claim the edge was not ground in, being instead painted over from the factory (a demonstrable falsehood)...[Edit: It might have been Goblin X who said that, sorry about that]

In any case, you recommend the Boker Apparo, a 0.060” 30 dps monstrosity that was only matched by my Busse Battlesaw in the pirate movie prop dullness stakes.

When I had my Apparo reground by REK, the balance point moved back half an inch, it lost so much weight... It makes me wonder if, to encourage this, any consideration other than strength ever enters your equation...

G.

P.S. I also owned two Newt Martin originals, a SURV 9 and a remarkable 9.3” blade hollow handle dagger (of very precise symmetry) and though these were indeed well-made, strong and a little better in edge thickness than the Boker, they lacked the steel quality and edge thinness of my Randalls , despite their similar hollow grind designs. This is in part because of the poor edge apex stability inherent to their CPM steels, which Randall wisely stayed away from.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I had a Rambo knife. It's great...for kids to play with. My prefered "big knife" is the M9 bayonet made by Buck. For overall survival knife, SOG Revolver.

·
Registered
19 Posts
@ROCK6 Thank you very much, always happy to talk knives and share pics!😎 The G-man can't help himself, so I look at it as entertainment value.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Sometime I need to post video clips of some of the abusive testing I performed on some of my knives, to help the haters understand the physics of the situation. Often times, people are opposed to HH knives simply because they either don't understand the concept, or have been jaded by flea market junk.

I have video of me doing chin ups on my knives, and beating them mercilessly with clubs. The moral of the story is (as you well know): Use them as a knife and not a demolition tool, and you will be very happy.:cool::)

Sam(y)

Gaston is always blowing gas, we just tolerate him😁 Nice pieces, glad to see another maker keeping them alive. I got to handle Ed and Newt Martin's (actually it's Newt's design) hollow handle knife and see a demo on how robust they really are...tough knifes. Their design is what the Boker Apparo hollow-handle knife uses...one of the few production blades I would actually trust in the field. Again, thanks for displaying your talent...excellent looking!

ROCK6

41 - 60 of 62 Posts