Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
knuckle up
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I used the search function and did not find a thread with this title and didn't have time to read through a dozen or more threads to find something.

I'm looking for a durable survival knife with the compartment in the handle and a screw-on compass. I've searched and can't seem to find anything but cheap Rambo knock-offs.

I want to minimize what I have to carry on me on some of my ventures out into the woods and being able to store matches, fishing line,hooks,iodine tube and a compass in the knife is a plus to me. A knife like this would give me options.......and I like having options.

Anyone have a lead?

·
Sam Adams was right....
9,267 Posts
I'd personally avoid any knife that wasn't full tang... so a "handle compartment" would a no no...

Ever though of a small pouch on the sheath instead?

·
Registered
986 Posts
Yeah, most of these have been shot down for not being full tang, the compass being in an exposed spot prone to damage and the fact that if you lose your knife, you lose your kit.

Having a kit on your sheath and a full tang is the way to go.

If you must have a Rambo type knife, look for a Buckmaster, but keep reading until you talk yourself out of it.

Look at a BK9 or SP10.

·
Be Prepared
393 Posts
Buckmaster

Yeah, most of these have been shot down for not being full tang, the compass being in an exposed spot prone to damage and the fact that if you lose your knife, you lose your kit.

Having a kit on your sheath and a full tang is the way to go.

If you must have a Rambo type knife, look for a Buckmaster, but keep reading until you talk yourself out of it.

Look at a BK9 or SP10.
I purchased a Buckmaster way back in the day when they first came out. Carried it for years. Still have all the original items from the handle, except for matches. I keep it in my BOB more for nostalgia and sentimental reasons. Have you seen the prices of them on the web? WOW they have gained value.:thumb:

·
Registered
986 Posts
Strange, I followed a link to one for $28, but don't see any others with prices except one oddball for $450. I wonder if the new one is made in China?

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
I did allot of research about two years ago on this very issue. I didn't find much but that the Chris Reeves knives were the best that could be found. Now a days there is one knock off that is built the same way for a little cheaper. I lost the link, and don't know anyone that has used them so I couldn't tell you if they are as good or not.

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
Schrade is now making one that is all one piece of steel like Reeves'. I forget what they call it. Look in their catalog.

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts
Ok, I used the search function and did not find a thread with this title and didn't have time to read through a dozen or more threads to find something.

I'm looking for a durable survival knife with the compartment in the handle and a screw-on compass. I've searched and can't seem to find anything but cheap Rambo knock-offs.

I want to minimize what I have to carry on me on some of my ventures out into the woods and being able to store matches, fishing line,hooks,iodine tube and a compass in the knife is a plus to me. A knife like this would give me options.......and I like having options.

Anyone have a lead?
As others mentiond, the only ones I would trust are these Chris Reeve Shadow Hollow Handle knives. They are one solid piece of steel and are just as strong as full tang knives. Here is a link with photos. Be ready to shell out a few hundred bucks though.
http://www.donrearic.com/crshadow3.htm

Look at the cutaway photo on that page and you can see how strong this knife is.

To a lesser degree you can look at the "Buckmaster 184" but it will still run about 150-300.

Go for the Chris Reeve Shadow iii or Shadow iv for about $200 and change if you want a hollow handle blade.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Plausible: get a hollow handled all steel Cold Steel Bushman and get a machinist to thread the handle, use an appropriately sized bolt for the cap, superglue a bubble compass on the "cap", Duct tape the handle, then very VERY tightly wrap with cord or leather strips. This will, in theory work and i plan to do it someday,

oh yea screw the matches learn to find natural tender and carry a Ferrocium rod either glued to the bottom of the spine of the sheath or in the handle.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I have an older bushman, it's taken a beating. The handle has a taper to it, so it would be hard to thread. I modified mine with a natural cork, rubber cork, old mountain bike grip , then convexed the edge. For the money it's been a good knife & gets it's turn through the rotation.:thumb:

Attachments

·
Opinionated old fart.
8,047 Posts
The Bushman is designed to fit on a shovel handle to make a spear. I've had one for years but only trust it to work around the yard opening bags. The hollow handle design was pretty much abandoned years ago. A full tang knife is much stronger, and will hold up to real use. As for stuffing a handle with items; most of the stuff that would fit in a handle would not work. A swissteel might, but not a real compass, wistle, or mirror.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Unless you can buy a Chris Reeves (discontinued) or a Randall (4 year wait) don't bother...The one's on TV and in print ads for $29.95 with the "survival kit" are pure, unadulterated junk...E-Bay had them for sale, minus the "kits" for ten (10) for $25.

The "Rambo" movie knives are made by United Cutlery and they are intended for wall hangers and nothing else, regardless of what their advertising hype lies told to you about them...They are usually sent to you dull and of a steel that if you could sharpen will dull in minutes.

The real Jimmy Lile and Gil Hibben made original knives start at $1.500.

Get a good fixed blade 5" knife and a 3½" folder with a few extras, like a Boy Scout Camp Knife and/or a multi-tool and a couple of Altois Cough Drops metal boxes and fill them with your necessary equipment and you're done...More expensive, a little more room but it's your life that is going to have to survive.

·
knuckle up
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the feedback. I was hoping there were manufacturers that made a Chris Reeves-type full-tang knife with the screw on compass......for a reasonable price. Its not worth 200-300 bucks to me.

I'll figure out a different, compact way to carry other odds and ends.

I'm looking at Ka-Bar full-tang knives to do the deed.

·
Survival Actual
4,685 Posts
I have a cold steel bushman knife. Hollow handle but super strong knife. It also has a life time warranty.
I've beaten the crap out of mine and it;s still going strong.
I was using it the other day to chop tree roots out of the ground, using a short handle extension i made for it, and its not dented, chipped, dulled or anything...
If you can break the CS bushman, then you probably need a lesson or two on how to properly use a knife.

·
Opinionated old fart.
8,047 Posts
I have a cold steel bushman knife. Hollow handle but super strong knife. It also has a life time warranty.
I've beaten the crap out of mine and it;s still going strong.
I was using it the other day to chop tree roots out of the ground, using a short handle extension i made for it, and its not dented, chipped, dulled or anything...
If you can break the CS bushman, then you probably need a lesson or two on how to properly use a knife.
My main beef with the bushman is that it basically doesnt have a grip. I mean yeah, theres something there to grab, but round, tapered, and no guard. Its literaly a spear tip.

·
Gone Fishin'
803 Posts
1 - 20 of 62 Posts