Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright. i live in Florida, and I love to freshwater fish for bass and bluegill. When the bass aren't biting artificials, I like to use live worms for the bluegill. I took an old red bin, put it on the back porch, took a Domino Sugar canister, poked holes in the lid for air, placed some potting soil in, and then some old potatoe scraps. Then I raked around for worms in my yard. I then placed about 10 little worms so far into the bin. After putting the lid on the bin, I placed ice about 2-2.5 inches up all around the bin to make sure the worms stayed cool. I now need help on deciding how damp the soil needs to be, and how long it'll take the worms to breed. I don't think these are red wigglers. probably nightcrawlers, or earthworms. I'm 15, so I haven't been around long enough to know old pioneer tricks on raising worms. Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, -Garrett

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
i took the basic out of this video. what i did was i took 4 5gal buckets the 1st bucket i drilled a hole on the side of the bucket,and installed a spicate the next bucket i just drilled some holes in the bottom of the bucket.the next bucket i drill some holes then i laid a newspaper over the holes and then sheaded some newspaper and put about a cup of dirt in it and some pulled up weeds tea grounds and banana peals,rotten apples and a glass of water was poured over it to moisten it all down .i put 3 boxes of fishing worms in it that i got from the fishing tackle store. then once a week i would feed it.once the bucket is about 1/4 full i put another bucket in with holes at the bottom,and newspaper inside the bucket covering the holes then i put sheadded newspaper (do not use the shinny paper use regular cheap paper) and place that bucket in with the rest and started putting the food in that bucket. once a week i will feed them if needed and pour like 1/2 cup of water in as well and all the water will drain to the bottom bucket where i have the spicate i can drain it out and water the garden with :thumb:

the worms will move back a forth from the food bucket to the bedding bucket where the will poop(just make alot of holes and make the hole reasonable in size not real big but not tiny either).it really suprised me they will find the food fairly quikly. once the poop bucket gets fairly full just pull it out empty in the garden or compost heap(you may want to sift it for worms if you dont have alot of them yet) and restart it as your new feeding bucket. the 2nd bucket i have in there between the bedding and the bucket with the spicate is there just as a spacer so i dont flood out the bedding area.i keep them in the shed out back with a towel over it to keep the bucket as dark as possable . oh and i did poke holes in the top bucket lid for air. ive had them about 4 months now and so far they are doing just fine.i think im giveing them to much food ive slowed down to feeding them once every 2 weeks until their numbers have increased and they can keep up with the feedings.

i wouldnt feed them starchy foods,but green weeds,tea bags, fruits and veggie peels are just fine just add a hand full of dirt with your feeding

http://www.deq.state.la.us/portal/default.aspx?tabid=2101
http://www.compostsantacruzcounty.org/Home_Composting/Worm_Composting/worm_feeding.htm

·
Conspiracy Theorists
48 Posts
My compost pile is full of night crawlers. Here they are not as large as in the south, because of winter conditions, still get up to 12 inches. No need to do anything special just compost directly on the ground and the worms will come all by themselves

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
My compost pile is full of night crawlers. Here they are not as large as in the south, because of winter conditions, still get up to 12 inches. No need to do anything special just compost directly on the ground and the worms will come all by themselves
that is VERY true i was thinking about doing a worm tower for next year

i just wander how far the worms will travel out so to know how far you should put each tower. i was thinking of useing 5 gal buckets in stead of pvc pipe

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
we have some big leaf piles/pine needles ect if i need worms i just turn over some with a pitch fork and pick as many night crawlers out as i want.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You can get a combination thermometer and humidity gauge for a couple of bucks and keep it inside the bucket. I have just gotten started with my worms and they are doing great. I put them in a plastic storage bin with 1/4 inch holes drilled in a 2 inch grid pattern on the bottom and sides of the bin. Layered some shredded cardboard on the bottom then a layer of compost and another layer of cardboard. I add the kitchen scraps under the top layer of cardboard. I spray mist over the surface when I water my garden. The drain water goes into the soil under the bin. I keep a white sheet over the bin to keep the sun from overheating the thing. So far so good.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts