Survivalist Forum banner
41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Padre in the woods
3,898 Posts
what do they eat? pine nuts? bugs? mushrooms? is there enough vegetation to sustain them? I always thought pine forests were pretty barren places.
Like Stwood said, grubs and other large bugs. I've seen then go after a non-venomous snake. They are also considered a pest because they go after the birds nesting in the tall grass, and have even been known to attack fawns. In the region, they will often raid farms going after what grains and feeds are left for the barnyard critters. A lady I know about 80 miles west of us lost 4 ducks and 1 chicken, which were in an enclosed area. They are opportunistic. But that also plays in our favor if you can bait them into a clearing with food. EDIT: since most are so big, it's been a problem keeping livestock fences secure.

·
Registered
4,727 Posts
Yep. I've watched em eat snakes. They are "on" for copperheads/black snakes.
And chickens. Pigs are sloppy eaters at the trough, mouth full of feed, slinging their heads looking at every noise, dropping feed.
Our chickens spotted another feed source........the feed trough.....ah yea. Snitching bits in and around the trough as they could.
One hen got a little too close..............pig grabbed her head and pulled her through the panel, and of course the fight was on when the others saw the pig with a mouth full.
I spotted the bloody panel and feathers, and a few more feathers out in the pen. Yep.
Piggie had a chicken dinner.....

Reactions: RJ2019

·
GrowingFromScratch.com
4,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Just starting out, I would make small lots, then expand as your needs change.
That is what I would do. Start small and grow as my experience / knowledge grows. If it turned into a commercial venture as I hope, cashflow would go back into expanding and adding paddocks and fencing.

Reactions: Stwood

·
GrowingFromScratch.com
4,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
This is more geared for cleared land, but the method is what I have in mind if I fully pursue this.

·
GrowingFromScratch.com
4,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Here is a demonstration of Joel's method. In this video, Polyface is leasing this land if I remember right. And that might be an option rather than messing with woods property that I own.

·
Registered
4,727 Posts
I've got most of Joe's books. He's a knowledgeable/ money making man.
Rotation is good. I have 6 pens side by side that I rotate, each with a shaded hut and a wallow hole.
Pigs cool themselves in a mud hole.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts