Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Homesteader
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wife is raising domestic rabbits and I will be doing the harvesting and everything to do with harvesting. I need input, best most humane way to slaughter. How to cut up etc. Last time I skinned a rabbit I was a kid. And we only kept the backstrap and hind quarters. And I just shot them in the wild with a .22 So I have a lot to learn folks please jump in and help me out

·
future Dryad
708 Posts
IMO the most humane method is the rabbit-wringer, the other methods I've seen or tried were not nearly as easy and calm as the rabbit wringer.
Youtube videos are great for learning how to process the rabbit after slaughter.

·
patriarch
4,846 Posts
Oh yal, I remember that thread. He made a mess out of that rabbit. Its a "not to do" thread!

It only takes about three minutes to butcher a rabbit. So don't sweat it. I use a twine loop to hang the rabbit by the back foot. Here goes:

Hold rabbit by back feet, lop the rabbit with the handle of the old hickory butcher knife just behind the head, hang the rabbit by the twine (one rear foot), remove the head and let the rabbit bleed out. Remove front feet.

I now go to my skinning knife (fish fillet knife) starting at the ankle. Cut skin around ankle, make a slit to anus doing both rear legs. Remove skin from ankles all the way to neck & front legs. Save or toss skin?

Slit belly open from anus to neck, remove entrails, save heart & liver. Wash in cold water.

There your done. Soak in salt water. Fry, freeze, or can with a pressure cooker.

I can process a whole litter in few minutes. We can ours. This works for fryers and old animals alike. We make Italian sausage from the older animals.

·
patriarch
4,846 Posts
I also may add, if you want to save and tan the skins, be gently with your rabbits. No bruising, no blood on fur. You can wash them immediately to remove blood and let the dry. You can freeze them to work on latter.
I have tanned several, but haven't really found a good purpose for them. Could make a blanket? Cuffs for my winter boots, or cuff for my new wool house mukluks?

·
Registered
355 Posts
I'm doing my research right now on raising meat rabbits, hoping to get them going this winter but need to build a little hutch first. Seems like there is a lot of online resources on it, and I think I am going to use the "broomstick method" to euthanize them. As for butchering them, seems real easy if you want to keep them whole, but I would like to break them down more than that, so need to watch some more videos before trying it.

·
LEGAL citizen
15,269 Posts
Rabbits are fragile and kill easily. Probably why they are at the bottom of the food chain. We used to club them and they would die instantly. As far as nerve jump, there is nothing you can do about that...

·
patriarch
4,846 Posts
I'm doing my research right now on raising meat rabbits, hoping to get them going this winter but need to build a little hutch first. Seems like there is a lot of online resources on it, and I think I am going to use the "broomstick method" to euthanize them. As for butchering them, seems real easy if you want to keep them whole, but I would like to break them down more than that, so need to watch some more videos before trying it.
Quarter them at the joints just like chicken! We can them like that, with the bone. My wife learnt to debone a rabbit. Never seen it done, but she done six big ones. Then you just lift the skeleton right out of the meat?
She done this to make the sausage. I can't picture it?:D:

I have had hutches and hanging cages, got both types presently. But I prefer hanging cages. Hang them under a lean to, in back of the garage, or in the barn. No legs to contend with.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Quarter them at the joints just like chicken! We can them like that, with the bone. My wife learnt to debone a rabbit. Never seen it done, but she done six big ones. Then you just lift the skeleton right out of the meat?
She done this to make the sausage. I can't picture it?:D:

I have had hutches and hanging cages, got both types presently. But I prefer hanging cages. Hang them under a lean to, in back of the garage, or in the barn. No legs to contend with.
Cool thanks. With quartering them and canning them, you still keep the mid section/ribs right? Or do you just basically end up with the 4 leg sections?

I'm trying to figure out how I want to do the cage/hutch thing. I like the idea of a hutch for warmth in the winter and shelter in in climate weather, with a wire run in front of it. Am thinking about a worm farm right under it, self fed from the falling rabbit turds above, and then right into the garden :)

Something important to me is giving my animals a good life, so I want to make them comfy while they are alive, which has led me to thinking about having it so they can range on small patch of grass at their wanting to, maybe with a small door I can control. I don't want to over complicate the construction of their living quarters to much, but giving them a small grass patch seems like it would enhance their life a bit.

Anyone ever have a set-up like this?

·
patriarch
4,846 Posts
My wife says she removes the rib cage and the belly skin. Actually, lot of meat in the back parts (2 pcs).

A hutch is just as cold as an open cage! Put a nice nest box w/straw in the cage for shelter.

·
Grevcon 10
14,795 Posts
I use a 12 gauge.

Yes, I do mean a 12 gauge shotgun. Steel bird shot (to make sure I don't blast any lead dust in to my food) to the back of the head outside on the grass while it eats. Instantly disappears the head. The rabbit has absolutely no chance to feel anything or even process that anything is happening to generate fear or suffering. In an extremely small fraction of a second the entire head including the brain is pulverized into nothingness and buried in the ground.

The rabbit's already been decapitated and so part of the butchering process is already done as well.

I'm sure plenty of you think it's a waste of $0.20 for the shell, but I'm an on again off again vegetarian so I take humanely dealing with my animals very seriously. If I wouldn't want to die by having my throat slit or my neck broken, I won't do it to the animal. If I've got a painful terminal illness I'll be taking a duck hunting trip to Oregon, and so that's what I chose to provide for my animals too.

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
I also may add, if you want to save and tan the skins, be gently with your rabbits. No bruising, no blood on fur. You can wash them immediately to remove blood and let the dry. You can freeze them to work on latter.
I have tanned several, but haven't really found a good purpose for them. Could make a blanket? Cuffs for my winter boots, or cuff for my new wool house mukluks?
http://www.primitiveways.com/rabbit_skin_blanket.html

·
patriarch
4,846 Posts
Yal, that's funny! :D: Have that pattern printed off somewhere. Thanks anyway. Done a rug/blanket already with scrap material. You did see where it request 50 rabbit skins? Now that's a lot of work, unless you purchase them.

We have a Navaho loom, but haven't got the time to use it. We would rather work/play with wool.
Its an alternative, if its necessary?

http://www.survivalistboards.com/album.php?albumid=3239

·
Author of Hitwoman
3,091 Posts
There's many great videos on YouTube. You can use a 22, hit them on the head, or use this http://rabbitwringer.com/html/online_store.php to snap their neck. With the lack of 22lr available I think I'd choose one of the other two.
I went to the rabbit wringer and haven't looked back. I've shot them, looped them and nothing works slicker and handier than the wringer. I'll never be without one.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts