Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Sugar-free
4,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just loaded 500 rounds of 230gr .45ACP with Rainier Plated round nose. I kid you not, this is the most accurate bullet I have ever shot out of my Kimber Custom II. I loaded a variety of different powder charges, all Unique. Everywhere from 5.8 grains up to 6.8. The load my Kimber really, really loved was 6.1 gr Unique. One ragged hole at 25 feet, if I did my part. Nothing has ever shot this well. Anyone else have good luck with these Rainier Plated 230 grainers?

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
My luck with the Berry's was hit and miss. Literally.

Mind you this was @8 years ago and changes in manufacturing standards will likely have been made.

All .45 200gr SWC's.

A Smith 4566 couldn't be made to stay within 6" at 25y, LSWC's would go @2+".
A Colt Gold Cup only tolerated them under 800 fps. 2" groups from the rest were the best.
A Colt Gov't model seemed to like them but it was the end of the batch, so the best group recorded was @2.5" but showed promise.
A Smith 1950 wheelgun absolutely loved them. Both out of .45 Auto-rim cases or .45 Auto cases it would shoot them into 2" at 50Y from a rest consistently.

I haven't used the plated bullets since, casting my own is much cheaper and my oddball handguns won't use lead or plated bullets (H&K P-7).

I have heard good things about the Rainier bullets, but they caution against using them at higher than 1200-1250 range velocities and I gain nothing by going to them for equal velocities instead of my lead loads.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Good in 45 ACP and horrible in 9mm.

Platd bullets suck out of a Glock, HKP7, S&W M&P, XD and especially 1911's in 9mm. Keyholing and very poor accuracy.

My 1911 45's run well with them. I use 4.5 grains of Viht N310 and a 200 grain plated round nose. No flash, no smoke, limited blast and 850 fps. Unique is nasty powder. It works but it's dirty and has pressure variances for me. Viht N310, N320, Bullseye, Clays, and Red Dot are much better and more efficient.

·
Sugar-free
4,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've had good luck with both the Rainier and Berry's plated bullets in my 9mm loads my best groups some just as you have experienced came with the plated bullets.

Rainier also make the 230 gr. 45 in the HEX HP. http://www.rainierballistics.com/mainframe.htm I have found that to be true in my 115 gr. 9mm loads.
Thanks for the info regarding the 115 gr. 9mm. I will give them a try, so far in this thread we have one person saying that they're good(you) and someone else saying that they've had bad luck with them. That means that I'll buy 1-2 hundred of them and see how they fare in my handguns. Out of curiosity, what powder and charge weight do you use with the 9mm plated bullets? Also, what depth do you seat them? I have been reloading a lot of .45ACP and .44 Mag lately, and I am about to switch the Dillon to 9mm. BTW, anyone else think that 9mm is a PITA to re-load compared to .45?

·
The Jed.
2,828 Posts
I run the 200 Ball on about 5 gr of Bullseye, and the 185 SWC on 4.5 gr Bullseye, very accurate loads. Mind you I'm not the best pistol shooter, actually I really need practice, but at 25 feet I was getting figure-8's and I was double tapping the trigger. not all that impressive, but considering my skill level, I found it very impressive.

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,679 Posts
I just loaded 500 rounds of 230gr .45ACP with Rainier Plated round nose. I kid you not, this is the most accurate bullet I have ever shot out of my Kimber Custom II. I loaded a variety of different powder charges, all Unique. Everywhere from 5.8 grains up to 6.8. The load my Kimber really, really loved was 6.1 gr Unique. One ragged hole at 25 feet, if I did my part. Nothing has ever shot this well. Anyone else have good luck with these Rainier Plated 230 grainers?
I use the same ones. Like them were easy enough to load also.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
9mm is a major PITA to re-load. Brass from Win and Starline are generally thought to be the best. There are very inconsistant manufacturing standards with the 9mm Nato round.

One big problem is that brass fired from a Glock will be bulged at the bottom of the case and the Dillon resizing die in 9mm sucks. Use the RCBS if you can. Might have to turn the case and put it through again if you are using a 9mm 1911. Some do, some don't.

Another issue is that it's a tapered round and it just has issues in some guns like 9mm 1911's, XD's, M&P's and HK P7's. Never had a problem in 20k rounds through my Beretta's. Old brass that's been through a bunch of times will give you problems with extraction.

Just this weekend, one of our Glock shooters had what was apparently a 9 x 21 round. The casing was marked R-P 9mm but it was noticably longer and would not chamber in his Glock 34 or any other 9mm we tried.

With a Montana Gold 115 FMJ, one of my favorites is 4.2 grains of TiteGroup with 1.142" OAL.

·
BulletMaster
1,387 Posts
9mm is a major PITA to re-load
Since when,the 9mm is one of the easiest rd. to handload,in fact I can't think of a single rd. that is a PITA to handload for. I use all kinds of 9mm brass I don't have a preference and bullets I use them all jacketed,plated and cast.

Cannon Fodder not sure my data will help you much,my 9mm handloads are fired out of a Ruger BH revolver 357/9mm convertible so OAL is not a problem for me like it would be for semi. I set all my OAL to factory recommended spec for there bullet some I set out a little longer. The bullet jump in my revolver since the 9mm is built on a 357 length cylinder is over 1"

My two favorite powders to date are Bullseye and W231/HP-38 which are the same powders sold under different brand names,they vary from lot to lot like any powder but to date I can find no meaningful difference between the two when loaded identically. If you look on Hodgdon's web site for any given caliber bullet weight/style where W231 and HP-38 appear together all data is the same across the board. Likewise with H110/W296. I use Win and CCI SP primers both theres targets we shot with mixed brass both standard and Nato.

9mm Berry's 115 gr. RN load

Berry's 115 gr. RN
3.5 grs. Bullseye
Avg. MV 943 fps.
ED:56.55
SD:23.89

9mm Berry's 124 gr. HP load

Berry's 124 gr. HP
3.9 grs. HP-38
Avg. MV 1010 fps.
ED:44.55
SD:18.02

All my ammo is load on a Lyman single stage press,loads thrown with a RCBS LIL Dandy powder measure and rotors. I use Lee 9mm 3 die set seat and taper crimp in one step. I have loaded up some test rds. with the Rainer 115 HEX HP haven't put them on paper yet but from just popping a few cans in the backyard range there pretty dead on I will post some chrono data and targets later on.

I've only had one bullet in 30 years I couldn't get to shoot a 38 cal.158 gr. swaged Hornady HP I shot it low,med and high, plain and aloxed in 38 and 357 loads half the time it went where I pointed the rest were close but keyholed. I finally just threw them in the pot and cast some bullets from them with my Lee 158 gr. TL mold now they work.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I reload using a Dillon Precision XL 650 progressive press. I use the Dillon dies. I usually use HP 38 or Winchester 231 because I can use it from .380 all the way to .45 APC.
I have not used any Ranier bullets but I have used Berry's Plated bullets in 115 Round Nose Flat Base RNFB.
115 gr Berrysmfg RNFB
Seated at 1.150
4.9 grains HP 38 (worked up from 4.6 to this level)
crimped minimum required to chamber as over crimping will tear the copper plating off the bullet before it makes it out of the barrel.
All shoot very accurately. 4.6 grains did not cycle the action properly 25% of the time. 4.8 cycled the action 98% of the time but 4.9 grains cycled every time and locked back the slide on the last round.

I have also loaded the 185 grain berrysmfg in .45 APC that shot well. I think I used 5.3 grains of HP 38 but can not remember the OAL and Crimp. They shot more accurately than I was able to shoot at the time. I may have overloaded these bullets to tell the truth as I was also loading 225 grain SWC's at 5.3 grains also.

·
Sugar-free
4,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I reload using a Dillon Precision XL 650 progressive press. I use the Dillon dies. I usually use HP 38 or Winchester 231 because I can use it from .380 all the way to .45 APC.
I have not used any Ranier bullets but I have used Berry's Plated bullets in 115 Round Nose Flat Base RNFB.
115 gr Berrysmfg RNFB
Seated at 1.150
4.9 grains HP 38 (worked up from 4.6 to this level)
crimped minimum required to chamber as over crimping will tear the copper plating off the bullet before it makes it out of the barrel.
All shoot very accurately. 4.6 grains did not cycle the action properly 25% of the time. 4.8 cycled the action 98% of the time but 4.9 grains cycled every time and locked back the slide on the last round.

I have also loaded the 185 grain berrysmfg in .45 APC that shot well. I think I used 5.3 grains of HP 38 but can not remember the OAL and Crimp. They shot more accurately than I was able to shoot at the time. I may have overloaded these bullets to tell the truth as I was also loading 225 grain SWC's at 5.3 grains also.
Dwayne
I sent you a PM......
I do like cast bullets, I had 3,000 Bull-X cast 230gr RN and loaded them all up. I found them at an estate sale, and paid 30 bucks for all 3k of them. They shot AWESOME and I had no idea that the company had gone out of business until I went to order more! Yes, I shoot a lot. Anyway, the Rainier plated is the only bullet since the bull-X cast that will shoot better than me! I hadn't even considered them for 9mm until your post. Thanks! Good input from everyone here.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Since when,the 9mm is one of the easiest rd. to handload.
Not many folks shoot a 9mm revolver. If that is all you are using, then you won't see the problems I see when loading 9mm for competition in various handguns, some of which have finicky feeding habits I load 20,000 rds a year right now from a Dillon 1050 and 550. I explained the issues in my post.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts