Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Animis opibusque parati
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what suggestions you folks have for raingear. I have a cheap pvc set (pants and jacket) but its heavy, uncomfortable and I sweat like wearing a latex glove over my head:eek:

What brands are reliable and affordable. I dont use raingear that often but its something that needs updated. It needs to be light enough to pack.

Thanks

·
Registered
188 Posts
Affordable and good are together much in good quality rain gear, especially hiking gear.

Sales, even second hand gear on e-bay can be a great steal also.

I scored a north face jacket worth 600ish from REI denver on a sale rack for 35$ because they didnt have a record of it.

keep an eye out and buy a quailty piece of gear it will last and perform much better than a cheap piece

·
Registered
17 Posts
Look for things that are breathable. As GQtim said a good bit of kit does make the difference! Do you have factory stores around you? If so you will get some great bargains in there..
I would say look for gaiters and a good jacket. I have seen some nice gortex ones but they are ready expensive however it may be possible to get deals at Mil Surp spots or as mentioned above.

·
I love this *****
33,879 Posts
Like most people, I have always used the standard, bright yellow raingear that gets all hot and muggy underneath. However, I'm thinking seriously about getting some Frogg Toggs. I've heard some really good things about them. Check out their website:
http://www.froggtoggs.com/

·
Animis opibusque parati
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Those look pretty nice.....I still have there old infomercial in my head.

I wonder how breathable they really are

Thanks for the post

·
Watchin tha world go by
8,151 Posts
old fashioned i use a poncho

·
Modern Day Nessmuk
483 Posts
I have a Columbia Rainsuit, Doesn't weigh much, don't wear it -alot.- I'd much rather walk around wet. :D

·
I love this *****
33,879 Posts
Those look pretty nice.....I still have there old infomercial in my head.

I wonder how breathable they really are

Thanks for the post
According to their information, water can't get in but air can get out. I just ordered some...we'll see. If nobody reports on their functionality before me, I'll let you know. (Of course, it will have to rain first. )

·
Registered
866 Posts
One of the best weather resistant types of clothing to me are the classic oilskin clothing products. I have both a drover and a hat and they have kept me warm and dry in all types of weather and conditions. Yes it is heavy but it sure works good. No worries about ripping/tearing a hole in it cause the material is tough . Perfect for ridding or in the brush and thorns.

·
Banned
647 Posts
I have an older oilskin which is great for repellency but so heavy and stiff in the cold weather (riding), that I haven't worn it in years. The newer ones are lighter, but I haven't tried any. I just recently purchased a new rainsuit ($24) and poncho ($8), both made of a Tyvek-type material (seems a bit heavier(?). I really like them so far, the rain suit I have packed into my GHB and the poncho is in my closet. I also have a Stearns waterproof/breatheable rainsuit ($35-40?), which I also really like, an older Columbia set (not breatheable!), which I never use anymore, and assorted w/b jackets, pants and ponchos purchased from thrift and tack stores. I have full rainwear stored in my truck, GHB, BOB, saddlebags, barn, everywear. I do spray certain pieces to keep the water repellancy.

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
Raingear ? Its that time of year soon

That's all year round in the UK.:D

Decide if you want clothing that is warm and waterproof or just a thin waterproof layer.

I like a thin waterproof layer.
If you buy over size you can wear it over your warm clothes.

I believe this is more versatile than a big bulky waterproof coat.

Gortex is great but there are other materials with similar properties. Sympatex is one such make.

Search online to see what is sold in climbing shops. You'll get an idea of the prices.

I'm sure you can buy army surplus rain gear, NATO issue Gortex jackets and trousers.

What about a US Army poncho?

Cabelas and Basspro might be worth a look for hunting and fishing clothes.

·
Savage intellectual
1,866 Posts
The summer monsoons should start down here next month. What's my solution? Ponchos.

Our rainy season is much different in that we have short torrential downpours. Usually hot and humid all day until about 3 pm when the skies open up in intense, short duration, fast moving thunderstorms.

It's not too bad, because taking shelter for 10-20 min is all that's required, and maybe you get 2-3 that pass through your area in a given afternoon. The problem is getting caught between shelters.

I actually carry a rolled poncho in my Maxpedition Fatboy as part of my EDC. You really only need to cover for the run from your car to your job, home etc. and the thunderstorms can be seen coming. Ponchos are easy-on and well ventilated; important when dealing with the heat.

·
169 Posts
normally i just wear a poncho... Where i live it doesn't rain to much much and when it does its over quickly...For a more substantial rain i have a pants jacket combo that weighs no more than 8 oz and it work perfectly for anything more then a sprinkle

·
Registered
10 Posts
I use a Bare Kodiak jacket, and Bare Blackwater waders, with wading boots for raingear. I use it mostly for fishing and boating but it can be used elsewhere. A bit pricey though. $250CDN for the waders and $300CDN for the jacket, but worth every penny. of course, i live on the west coast of british columbia, aka the wet coast. our rains can last from a few minutes to a week or so, and be very cold at times, ranging from a shower to a torrential downpour.

·
Hunter/Farmer
1,947 Posts
Raingear ? Its that time of year soon
Down here during the warmer(HOT) months, most raingear is useless.
Your choice is getting soaked with rain or sweat.
I wear Magellan or Columbia shirts and pants most of the summer. They dry ultra fast.
Frogg Toggs if there's a cool spell.

·
Animis opibusque parati
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Its usally a fast hard hourish rainstorm I encounter. They move in fast and generally leave the same way. But there are those days where one sticks around for ............well days.

While I could probably get by with my older crap....its those long drawn out storms that make the breathable versions shine!

I plan to get something around 1XL so can layer with fleace if needed.

The sound of a Military Goretex set is very apealing any ideas where to look online ?

Thanks for all the great replies

1 - 16 of 16 Posts