Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks. I'm looking to get some new rain gear. I was leaning toward the 'Tru-Spec' stuff but doing a little reaserch Ive noticed it gets mixed reviews.
I know all of you spend a lot of time in the bush so I thought I'd ask what you use and what your experiences are?
Thanks folks. I welcome all opinions and experiences.

·
STALKER Unit Mobile
183 Posts
I usually dont use rain gear too much but the type that I do use at times has served very well if you can find something that is gortex it works really well for holding heat and also for rain gear. The USCG uses it for our foul weather gear as well

·
Registered
148 Posts
Real Gore-Tex can be $, but I've been wearing it up here in the great North-Wet for 25 years and it's the best.

Buy good quality stuff and it will last 10 - 15 years, mine has, and I use it in the rain forest.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I've had ponchos and always wound up wet and cold,I just got a swedish air force bivanorak,it's a really long anorak that you can wear in the rain or pull over your mummy bag to sleep dry.they are a bit pricey but worth the $$ if you want to stay dry and warm.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I bought the austrian gortex rain parka from sportsmans guide. Its awsome. Dark olive drab and same desighn as a M65 field coat. Its was used but in great condition for 39.00 buyer club price.:thumb:

·
AKA The Dragon
2,818 Posts
As an improvised one, we use a heavy duty garbage bag with holes cut in the bottom of it for head and arms.
Works pretty well in the short term and can reduce the wind chill.
It is only a short term solution, depends on your circumstances, but it is light weight and uses considerably less space in the BOB.

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
We used helly hanson on our commercial fishing boat. Thicker than most and can be patched if torn with patches that really work.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Well if you got hurricane winds you shouldnt be out in it anyways. :)

Honestly, I tend to go against the grain when it comes to rain gear. All of the fancy, high priced \rain gear with gortex this and nomex that, doesnt appeal to me or make sense.

If its cold out, I am going to be dressed for it in the first place. All I need my rain gear to do is keep the rain off of me.

I have used alot of different things over the years in the military and civilian world, but for me the plain ol military ponchos have always been what I like the most. They are inexpensive and do the job well. They keep me dry, take up little room in a ruck sack, and allow me plenty of freedom of movememnt when I am working out in rainy conditions. Cant beat them in my book.

Cheaper than Dirt has a 4 pack of them for something like $16 I noticed the other day which I am about to order.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I currenly own the Army Woodland camo Cold weather Goretex top and bottom, and also have issued the ACU pattern.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a light weight rain/wind jacket that is breathe-able, doesn't have to be gore-tex, but would like to find something fairly cheap and compact when rolled up.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts