Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Earthwalker.
10,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We have touched on the subject of using rail track spikes for knife making,But in the UK we don't use spikes anymore.

So this afternoon my friend who work on for railway turned up with this track gripper made from sprung carbon steel,I think this will be great for making knives with.

If i split them ill get two and if they work well it looks like my friend is going to be kept busy collecting these for me,He owes me a good few favours:thumb:

Attachments

·
veldskoen no socks
2,715 Posts
Those look like the dogs doodahs Bru, how wide are they? because you might have a natural width for a blade.
I got this piece of stainless steel today I want to try and make a small neck knife.

Attachments

·
Earthwalker.
10,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Those look like the dogs doodahs Bru, how wide are they? because you might have a natural width for a blade.
I got this piece of stainless steel today I want to try and make a small neck knife.
Its an inch wide and 10 mm thick when seperated from each other,so a good old hammering and i think it will work out OK.:thumb:

Ive not worked with stainless,so it will be interesting to see the outcome.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Any of you guys ever use leaf springs. You can go to a custom spring shop and get flat scraps for free or go to junk yards and spend 5-10$ on a few leafs. Just anneal, shape/grind/drill, heat treat, put handle on and sharpen.

·
Earthwalker.
10,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any of you guys ever use leaf springs. You can go to a custom spring shop and get flat scraps for free or go to junk yards and spend 5-10$ on a few leafs. Just anneal, shape/grind/drill, heat treat, put handle on and sharpen.
the guy at the garage said he will save me some leaf springs:thumb:

I think between us all on this site we must have used most carbon steels from file,saws,rail spikes,lawn mower blades,lawn edging shears and leaf springs:D:

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
lets see there is rail road spike, leaf spring and lawn mower blade in these knives

Attachments

·
Proud American
533 Posts
We have touched on the subject of using rail track spikes for knife making,But in the UK we don't use spikes anymore.

So this afternoon my friend who work on for railway turned up with this track gripper made from sprung carbon steel,I think this will be great for making knives with.

If i split them ill get two and if they work well it looks like my friend is going to be kept busy collecting these for me,He owes me a good few favours:thumb:
they are starting to do something similar in america as well. but here they look like big hog rings kinda. similar to what you are showing us in that picture.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts