Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
that is really cool

I think I'm going to head to the old rail road and pick up one and see what I can do with it

Thanks for posting that

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
that is really cool

I think I'm going to head to the old rail road and pick up one and see what I can do with it

Thanks for posting that
Look for a spike that is stamped HCS on the head. This insures that it is made of high carbon steel and will harden and temper properly.The first one I made did not have a high enough carbon content and would not harden and hold an edge.

·
Bratach Bhan Chlann Aoidh
1,366 Posts
Nice one rhart.
Gave your finger muscles a work out eh ?? lol.

Reactions: rhart

·
Earthwalker.
10,288 Posts
Great job,can you tell me how you put the twist in,did you use a vise and was it easy to do as i have got to make a pair of these,one for Kidyouth and one for me.

by the way thanks for sending the spikes kidyouth.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Awesome knife.

Reactions: rhart

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Great job,can you tell me how you put the twist in,did you use a vise and was it easy to do as i have got to make a pair of these,one for Kidyouth and one for me.

by the way thanks for sending the spikes kidyouth.
After getting it glowing in the forge , I put it in a vise and twisted it with a pipe wrench.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Here is my second attempt at a RR spike knife.I decided to make this one completely with hand tools.All of my other knives have been finished with various grinders and sanders. This one was hammered filed and hand sanded.This really made me appreciate the knife makers of the past.

View attachment 8427 View attachment 8428 View attachment 8429
Nice JOb!! yeah you got the skills!
looking foreward to seeing the next one!
rat

1 - 14 of 14 Posts