Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Figureing something is bound to happen, possibly sever a shortwave radio seems like a great to gather info about the country. I have no knowledge of shortwaves at all. If you were looking into one just to listen to others and I have read some will pick up military also which would be your choice?

·
Registered
467 Posts
+1 on that. i am in the market also we do need the capability to either monitor all freq. from 1.5 merers to 900meghz or transmit i know it takes a fcc permit to transmit. i wonder if we can research the possibility on some of board members getting sw raidos (the more the better)in case the net goes down where we can still get in touch

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
Ham radio is the way to go. They've made it super easy to get a license now days. Equipment is not all that expensive at all. If things go to hell in a hand basket, you won't need a license anyhow. My dad has a mobile rig that works in his van, that's not much bigger than a CB band radio.

·
Kilo Delta
372 Posts
This sounds like an excellent idea, and I'd definitely be interested.

Depending on the cost and how much help I can get from you smart guys. :D I've played around with CBs and two-ways before but that's about the extent of my radio comm. knowledge. I'm really interested in what every else has to say about this too.

·
Premium Member
5,483 Posts
If you opt for a receiver only make sure it is continuous band (o-30 MHZ) and has single side band or BFO.
A lot of the receivers only have part of the bands and, for some reason, don't have the US broadcast bands..
The best bet is, as TXKstew said, get a HAM transceiver.
They can be made to transmit & receive CB. in an emergency, (sort of illegal, I think, because of the watts), which may be a big help.

·
Board Supporter
2,049 Posts
Any of you guys know a name brand and model number? I was also wondering where you purchase HAM radios. I have really never seen them in any store, but then Ihave never really actively searched. I have the CB, but that is quite different.
Graywolf

·
A friend of the Site
1,966 Posts
I recommend this site

http://www.arrl.org/

It is full of information and has schedules for clases and groups in your area (probably). It is a big outfit they also have a place that sells new and uised equipment. Very helpful folks

The new class of license now you don't need morse code anymore

1 - 9 of 9 Posts