Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,677 Posts
They issue the IOSAT 130mg(potassium iodide)(Reduces chance of thyroid damage in a radiation emergency) pills where I work, in case of..........

·
Registered
778 Posts
Does taking iodine pills after a radiation expsoure help?

My husband asked me to look into it and maybe by some iodine. Any suggestions?
Radioactive iodine produced by a nuclear explosion displaces a little of the normal iodine in your thyroid gland. The radiation from that iodine causes microscopic damage to your thyroid gland cells leading ultimately to cellular transformation and cancer. It is my understanding that the idea is to saturate your thyroid gland with an excess of normal iodine so that the radioactive iodine has less of a chance of getting in. Simply put, thats the rationale of taking iodide pills after a nuclear attack.
Woodchuck

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,677 Posts

·
Mod Certified PITA!
12,092 Posts
Radioactive iodine produced by a nuclear explosion displaces a little of the normal iodine in your thyroid gland. The radiation from that iodine causes microscopic damage to your thyroid gland cells leading ultimately to cellular transformation and cancer. It is my understanding that the idea is to saturate your thyroid gland with an excess of normal iodine so that the radioactive iodine has less of a chance of getting in. Simply put, thats the rationale of taking iodide pills after a nuclear attack.
Woodchuck
Perfectly correct. It should be pointed out this is CRITICALLY important for children and babies. The iodine absorbed by your thyroid can stay there for years, evn life, and cellular damage from radiation exposure accumulates over time. You don't want children to absorb ANY radioactive isotopes after a nuclear event if it can be avoided. So dosing them with iodine tablets (NOT liquid iodine, that's something different and will probably just make them sick) and mineral rich vitamins ASAP is a priority.

·
Banned
1,146 Posts
Ebay has cheap iodine pills. Buy the kio3 as it has better health risk when compared to Ki. You can buy 90 pills on ebay for 11 bucks shipped. 90 is about right if you plan on giving it to a couple people. You need to take 2 a day for around 10 days. If you have any extra i'm sure you will not have a problem finding someone that would take them off your hands.

If you want to read more on the subject i would buy a book called "nuclear war survival skills" You can read it online here http://oism.org/nwss/s73p912.htm but if shtf and your waiting two weeks in your homemade fallout shelter it would be nice time to read it again :)

·
Prepared Gourmet
2,964 Posts
BigJay - While I personally have much faith in the Canadian system to maintain high standards, and the Canadian dollar is still a bit lower than the American, the FDA doesn't like it when you 're-import' from any country, including Canada. That fact is even noted on that Canadian link you posted.

Canada keeps drug prices lower than the US but most drugs are imported from the US in the first place. If you trust the American-made drugs, you will generally be safe getting those same drugs in Canada - but, they could be stopped by Customs during their travel back to our shores. That could result in duties being imposed (levelling the price playing field at the least) or confiscation, depending on their 'interpretation' of the guidelines.

In other words, it probably isn't worth trying to save a buck or two in that case (unless you go up there and get them yourself - I am up in Canada every few weeks but most Americans don't even seem to know that country is there except for the nasty stories they have been hearing lately about the healthcare system), especially for these lower priced 'drugs'.

·
Banned
1,146 Posts
What would be a good substitute for someone in your group if they have no thyroid due to it being removed from cancer? Just sit back and say your goodbyes?
Im not a doctor but its the other way around. They're in the best shape as they have no risk of getting thyroid cancer from the radiation. They have no need to take these pills.

Only down side to this you need a stock your normal thyroid replacement medication. At least depending on the type they do have a good shelf life :)

teotwawki you might try making your own
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desiccated_thyroid_extract

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Does taking iodine pills after a radiation expsoure help?

My husband asked me to look into it and maybe by some iodine. Any suggestions?
You want to take it BEFORE.

And to be clear- KI protects ONE organ in the body against ONE type of radioactive isotope.

It is NOT a "radiation blocker" for your whole body, it is NOT a "radiation cure."

Education is the key.
Lowdown3

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.