Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to ask the question of the family / group leaders.
How do you all handle stocking weapons for those in your family or group that can't.
I have young sons that have their hands full that will be coming to my country place if, no when SHTF.
While I have some things ready for them what do you all plan to provide to your members / family that don't have the means to provide for themselve in this area.
For price and effectiveness I focus on military calibre.
For a 12 ga I like the mossburg 835 model. This seems to be a good base weapon and you can extend the tube.
For CQB the 223/556 the ar15 is great and cost effective unless you go high end.
For MBR I like the 7.62 nato HK 91 clones and compact ar10s
For the designated shooter I like a mix of heavy ar10s and bolts actions
For the anti material anti snipper role I think the 50bmg can not be beat.
The 50bmg upper that fits a ar15 lower seems the most cost effective.
As far as crew served/ vehical mount I think the 1919 browning semi auto seems to be the best value.

These are the ones I suggest when the subject has come up.

What are you guys doing?

Any constructive advice is welcome.

·
Registered
9,798 Posts
KISS.....
I keep spares of what I have on hand, thats what they'll get if they show up without their own equipment.
If they can't afford their own then they really can't/shouldn't complain about whats provided to them. Thats my take on it.

Reactions: Uncle Bob

·
Alert Today~Alive Tmrrw
2,991 Posts

How do you all handle stocking weapons for those in your family or group that can't. I have young sons that have their hands full that will be coming to my country place if no when SHTF. While I have some things ready for them what do you all plan to provide to your members / family that don't have the means to provide for themselves in this area?

For price and effectiveness I focus on military calibre. For a 12 ga I like the mossburg 835 model. This seems to be a good base weapon and you can extend the tube. For CQB the 223/556 the ar15 is great and cost effective unless you go high end. For MBR I like the 7.62 nato HK 91 clones and compact ar10s. For the designated shooter I like a mix of heavy ar10s and bolts actions. For the anti-material anti-snipper role I think the 50bmg can not be beat. The 50bmg upper that fits a ar15 lower seems the most cost effective. As far as crew served/ vehical mount I think the 1919 browning semi auto seems to be the best value.

What are you guys doing?

AR-15s typically cost around $750-$1500.. AR-10s cost around $1500-$2000 each.. PTR-91s cost over $1000.. Browning 1919 upwards of $2000.. Then you need supporting ammunition.. These are your suggestions for family/group weapons? Do you think your 'young sons' can handle a HK91, AR-10 or -1919?

Who's paying for all this stuff? :thumb:

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
I have a couple of reserve weapons and ammo, but for the most part, if you want to bug in with me then you better be supplied already.

Pairing up means safety in numbers with additional fire support. Not the dwindling of your bank account.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
AR-15s typically cost around $750-$1500.. AR-10s cost around $1500-$2000 each.. PTR-91s cost over $1000.. Browning 1919 upwards of $2000.. Then you need supporting ammunition.. These are your suggestions for family/group weapons? Do you think your 'young sons' can handle a HK91, AR-10 or -1919?

Who's paying for all this stuff? :thumb:
All your prices are too high.
Think Wholesale.
The ptr brand had a bad name when I started gearing up hard. (Too much jamming)
The PTR GI would be a great choice now.
Ammo stocking is the key.

The kids are all over 18 and some are exMil.

And yes the cost is a concern but the kids have their jobs and carry their own weight on everything else.

·
Garbage Collector
11,363 Posts
AR15's and M4 clones- $1000 or less each.
Mossberg 500 with 18 in bbl and extended magazine.
Rem 700 in either .3006 or .308

Ruger 10/22's- dirt cheap.

Reactions: Uncle Bob

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
1. Saiga .223 and Saiga 7.62x39 -- about $400 each (new)
2. Police turn-in Remington 870's -- about $200 each
3. Police turn-in Glock 17's and Glock 22's -- about $350 each (with 3 mags each)
4. Ruger 10/22's -- $200 each (new)

You don't have to go crazy with the price of your "rack" weapons.

·
space samurai
455 Posts
if your gonna buy quality 50 ammo for long range accuracy, get a good rifle and scope. its not going to be cheap, but worth it. and your going to have to practice heavily with it to make hits past the .308's effective range on man sized targets.

other than that, get a couple .22's and a couple handguns and id say your set. there is a difference between your parents and your children coming over than everyone else who might show up in my mind.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I strongly disagree. A crank fired 1919, MG42 or heck, MA DUCE is a great gun to keep pointed at a roadway.

SKS is probly the best rifle to outfit a large number of people with.
I would like to try that addition hands on.

I have a couple rifles for the extended family/friends that may show up. (SKS, Garand and others).

·
Registered
313 Posts
if you want to arm one person or two in CQB ( not an army like you said) I think the best option for people with no gun experience is a revolver . i live in an anti-gun country , i have never handled a firearm before , and once i shot a revolver at a range and i got pretty tight groups on fast shots. anyone can handle it and it is almost impossible to jam. but it cost a lot. so if you have the money buy 2 used revolvers .

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
How do you all handle stocking weapons for those in your family or group that can't.
I have young sons that have their hands full that will be coming to my country place if, no when SHTF.
While I have some things ready for them what do you all plan to provide to your members / family that don't have the means to provide for themselve in this area.
For price and effectiveness I focus on military calibre.
For a 12 ga I like the mossburg 835 model. This seems to be a good base weapon and you can extend the tube.
For CQB the 223/556 the ar15 is great and cost effective unless you go high end.
For MBR I like the 7.62 nato HK 91 clones and compact ar10s
For the designated shooter I like a mix of heavy ar10s and bolts actions
For the anti material anti snipper role I think the 50bmg can not be beat.
The 50bmg upper that fits a ar15 lower seems the most cost effective.
As far as crew served/ vehical mount I think the 1919 browning semi auto seems to be the best value.

What are you guys doing?

the 1st weapon i suggest to everyone is a pistol with a minimum of 15 rnds mags .this is the one weapon that you can have with you at ALL times ( even during peace time :rolleyes: ) and to have at least 6-9 mags and at least 1000 rounds but more ammo is always highly suggested :thumb:

personelly i would drop the 5.56 and just go with mainly the 308 or even better a 6.8 grendal which the ammo is lighter than the 7.62x39 but has better range/accuracy than the 308 with less recoil. but i would keep the bolt actions in 308.

i would have a few shotguns with hunting in mind not war :rolleyes: i would also get several .22's and stock up the bulk of your ammo in .22lr again with hunting in mind :thumb:

unless your liveing in open terrain like a dessert or plains where its open and long range shots are common. i wouldnt even think about a 50bmg plus do you or any of your sons have the skill to make a 1200++ yard shot? are you and/or your sons trained in anti-sniper tactics? it takes alot more than ninjamall weapons to be an anti-sniper you must have the trainning and the skill.

most ppl dont have the trainning or the skill and i would never suggest anything larger than a 308 / 6.8 grendal without advanced trainning but if they had such trainning they would need my advice :thumb: most times i suggest a 5.56 or 7.62x39 as the main calibers most ppl can hit their targets within 300yrds range and thats all they need to have within their capablities :thumb:

LOL a vechile mounted weapon!!

if things was to ever get that bad. i would think you could requisition one ,that and much more in full-auto. i wouldnt waste the money on a semi-auto vechile mounted weapon lol!!

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
if your gonna buy quality 50 ammo for long range accuracy, get a good rifle and scope. its not going to be cheap, but worth it. and your going to have to practice heavily with it to make hits past the .308's effective range on man sized targets.

other than that, get a couple .22's and a couple handguns and id say your set. there is a difference between your parents and your children coming over than everyone else who might show up in my mind.
Thats why I don't mind trying to outfit my sons. If nothing happens in my lifetime they will still have the preps, tools and hardware:rolleyes: to make it later.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts