Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
dum dum
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SO I live in the suburbs, in a nice apartment, and the lasy on the corner by the woods feeds the raccoons on her patio. Now Stitches has a mate and diddles around under the oak tree below my upstairs window. Diego, my 4 legged friend, nicknamed the varmint stitches after he tried to play with him early this year...and Stitches didn't wanna play. I've got pics I'll post later of him...but for now all you get is Diego's sutures on his sniffer.

My question to all you backwoods hillbillies on this site (;) you know I'm playin, right?)...how many of you would have shot/snared/blow darted/slingshotted/clubbed this little guy and eaten him and his new girlfriend or made a dandy hat out of them? I swear I could feed him from my hand...he took a tortilla to the melon last night from my upstairs window; they are like pets to half the folks out here. I really have nothing against them, except another $300 vet bill will really **** me off, and the things are so tame that they really don't even run from ya.
So, who'd kill these kritters? Who'd feed them? Trap and release? Just curious...I enjoy watching them, but keep thinking they'd prolly make a dandy hat...

·
Deo VIndice
6,108 Posts
AWWW poor doggy!
Where I come from when they get that freindly, it's a bad sign. either they are crazy or rabid.
was your dog bitten or clawed? if bitten, i'd say kill the raccoon immediately, take it to the vet and have it tested for rabies.
Otherwise, trap em and move them far far away. If it were me, they'd already be dead for attacking the dog.

Reactions: firehiker

·
eibweN
374 Posts
My dog was a shepard/husky mix that the family believed to be a bit on the retarded side, she was sweet but stupid. The one thing she could do quite well was kill other animals, one night a racoon decided it was a good idea to eat some of her dog food, it ended up with a broken neck and back. my dog had no injuries at all surprisingly, however the next racoon that i saw in the back yard took a 20 cal pellet through the ear and fell off of the garage dead as a door nail. I say kill those disease infested vermin!

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
8,248 Posts
Firehiker, I am experiencing the same dillema with rabbits. Bunches of them in the neighborhood. One big ole' mature buck beds down under my bushes. I want to snare it amd trap some others (I like rabbit meat) but the missus says no.

To eat or not to eat. That is the question.

·
cute is not always enough
2,232 Posts
I had some problems here with raccoons when I first moved in. Some of them must have been mutants. They were monsters easily as big as your dog.

They liked to get into the compost bins and eat the scraps. For whatever reason they have stopped that now. They are still here but they do not cause me any trouble.

None of my neighbours are sympathetic to the vermin. Most of the decks are fitted with chicken wire to deny them refuge. My landlord tried live-trapping them but it was a loosing battle. You catch one and dump it 10 miles away and it displaces the local population, which displace the next group, and the domino effect works the magic and the raccoon that used to live two streets over is forced into your back yard. My land lord trapped a couple dozen of them and never earned anything more than a week's reprieve.

I do not think we are allowed to kill them. If you can, you should.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
A racoon is like a rat.. I may not kill one just for seeing it wandering around my yard, but if it attacked a pet, I would kill it. If it did that to your dog, it will do that to a little kid.. And maybe with worse effects.

If you can't kill it yourself, call animal control and have them lecture the idiots feeding them about why they shouldn't be feeding them.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Firehiker, I am experiencing the same dillema with rabbits. Bunches of them in the neighborhood. One big ole' mature buck beds down under my bushes. I want to snare it amd trap some others (I like rabbit meat) but the missus says no.

As far as the rabbits go, they are fairly harmless.. There may be a time when you might rely on your rabbit population for food.. I would put up with them.. I have hundreds of them in my are.. Most likely many more than that.. But I typically have 5 or 6 in my view at most times on my property.. I consider them part of my food reserve haha.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
8,248 Posts
I thought that too, but I live in a subdivision with 160 houses in it. Granted, it is on the edge of several hunderd acres of cornfields but when it hits the fan, I am thinking that those rabbits will not be around for long.

I have been jumping them just to watch their behavior. Who knows maybe I will learn something to improve my rabbit hunting skills.

·
dum dum
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Last night was really weird...I began to wonder if he had been drunk, poisoned, or has rabies...he seemed REALLY lethargic...but then I realized that so was I while I was on my balcony...it was pretty cold out! When Diego tangled with him, it was kinda his fault (OK, more MY fault for not ordering him away before he got nose to nose)...Diego has a tendency to want to play with animals, but the raccoon was backed up against a 10 foot drop off to the creek, and was threatened, so he stood up and took a defensive posture. Diego has a fight mechanism...if he gets bit or scratched, it's on like donkey kong! (he's had a PART in the demise of 4 cats, all of which he got along great with, one, mine, was raised from a kitten for 3 years before he got a shakin...a couple possums, and rearranged a neighbor's dog's nose when it was trying to get to him under their fence...) ANYWAY, took him to the vet with what we deduced was a scratch, and was told that he would be fine even if Stitches had rabies, as Diego was very current on his rabies vaccinations.
SO...I gues what I am saying is...these critters may need to be removed because their comfort zone is way to close (kinda like feeding bears), and they are simply capable of thrashing a pet or a human...but since I am not living off the land, I don't feel the urge to cap the little b*stard and eat him..he's more of a reminder of nature in my ever engulfing urban crawl...
I think Diego's problem is he actually co-existed with Scrappy, a raccoon that would visit my sister's patio and eat the cat food while the cat would just sit there and watch. Diego felt no threat, and since I told him "Be NICE...Leave the BABY alone!" and the raccoon didn't seem phased by him...well, they got along, and I think he thought THIS one would act the same way.
I DO KNOW that Diego will alert me when Stitches is downstairs...I think he wants a rematch!

·
The Punisher
1,607 Posts
I want to snare it amd trap some others (I like rabbit meat) but the missus says no.

Who where's the pants? Rabbit fricassee would be on the menu the next night, no if's, and's, or but's.:D:

firehiker, kill 'em. They'll do more harm than good in the long run.

·
dum dum
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Who where's the pants? Rabbit fricassee would be on the menu the next night, no if's, and's, or but's.:D:

firehiker, kill 'em. They'll do more harm than good in the long run.
ok...I'll say it..."But they're so cute!":taped:
:D::D::D:

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
This reminds me of the Fox and the Hound.. Pretty soon, those two will be lost in the woods on an adventure that takes them across the country and you won't hear back from your dog until five years later and he has racoon pups clinging onto his back calling him Dad, and guess what.. YOU will have to support them. End it now by throwing a cinder block off you r balcony on top of them.

·
dum dum
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This reminds me of the Fox and the Hound.. Pretty soon, those two will be lost in the woods on an adventure that takes them across the country and you won't hear back from your dog until five years later and he has racoon pups clinging onto his back calling him Dad, and guess what.. YOU will have to support them. End it now by throwing a cinder block off you r balcony on top of them.
OH SH*T! TOUGH LOVE! No dog of mine is gonna run off with some **** and come back with a litter of...hey...wait a minute...did you just bait me into a...OK, nevermind.
If Diego came home with a bunch of little ones with that filthy bandit I would love them as if they were my own pedigreed mutt puppies! :thumb:

·
dum dum
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here's an odd question...is there anywhere, besides the road, where one can purchase dead animals that haven't been skinned or gutted? I think everyone should know how to dress an animal (you know, little skirts and halter tops) ;), but I just don't have the NEED to go out hunting JUST to learn how to skin an animal. If you can buy dead cats for HS biology dissection, certainly you can get a frozen rabbit, raccoon, squirrel, possum...NO? In my neighborhood I'd be committed if they found me scooping up the road kill... :thumb:

·
Haha
3,407 Posts
Here's an odd question...is there anywhere, besides the road, where one can purchase dead animals that haven't been skinned or gutted? I think everyone should know how to dress an animal (you know, little skirts and halter tops) ;), but I just don't have the NEED to go out hunting JUST to learn how to skin an animal. If you can buy dead cats for HS biology dissection, certainly you can get a frozen rabbit, raccoon, squirrel, possum...NO? In my neighborhood I'd be committed if they found me scooping up the road kill... :thumb:
I seen a video that teaches you how to skin a rabit. The group of people went to the pet store, bought a rabbit, hit it in the back of the head and skinned it.

It was a cute furry white one too. :thumb:

-Cade

·
dum dum
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I seen a video that teaches you how to skin a rabit. The group of people went to the pet store, bought a rabbit, hit it in the back of the head and skinned it.

It was a cute furry white one too. :thumb:

-Cade
yeaahhh...I had a friend that had a big honkin snake..he'd thump bunnies for that thing.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts